Rear Spring issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Rear Spring issue

I just installed the RK 3.5 x factor and I am having an issue with the spring on the rear driver side. The top portion has a rubber seat where it sits on the body and when i went to flex to check clearances is shifted...
Any ideas on how to deal with this? Has anyone seen this before?

Last edited by peanut; 08-20-2011 at 09:45 AM.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
redx08
Rock God

Member # 5731
Did you have the coil seated correctly before you flexd it out. If so how long are your shocks. You can get the currie shock retainers to keep it in place.
www.rivercityoffroad.com
www.offroadalliance.com
redx08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
GreenJK
Granite Guru

Member # 6997
Teraflex spacer/guides

Limiting Straps

Coil spring retainers
GreenJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
wsoffroad
Rock God

Member # 10770
What has happened is that the shocks have more droop than the spring will allow for. This causes the spring to come unseated. The best thing to do is jack the rear of the jeep up to see when the axle is a full droop how far the top of the spring is from the coil pad. I would limit the shock travel with limiting straps. Doing this will increase the longevity of your shock to keep them from bottoming out when at full articulation.
wsoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
RODICON
30 Years of Rockin!

Member # 2233
Garage
Go with Teraflex retainer/ spacer.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
I didn't even have it at full droop. This happened with very little flex as I was just looking to check clearances and both springs shifted. I could completely understand if I had drooped it enough for the springs to come out and them not seat back in the right spot.
Right now I think the Currie set up is the way to go, I never had this issue on my 2 door.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
Go with Teraflex retainer/ spacer.
They lost me as a customer...
Old 12-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
charles
Granite Guru

Member # 8233
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
They lost me as a customer...
TF lost you as a customer but RK keeps you even though the kit you installed led to a spring falling out the minute you flexed, and not even at full flex?

You'll have to explain that.

Did you get it re-seated?
charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Absolute Offroad
Granite Guru

Member # 774
Dont limit the shock travel, as that really counter productive to what we are trying to acomplish here. use the currie Spring retainers and enjoy the flex from the RK kit. Problem is with the JK not any of the kits. The unseated spring length thats available for low height lifts is not enough to let it flex properly without the spring coming un seated. Not a big issue, just fix it and forget about it. RK is going to be more noticeable because these kits flex so much compared to the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
TF lost you as a customer but RK keeps you even though the kit you installed led to a spring falling out the minute you flexed, and not even at full flex?

07 JK Rubicon with a "few" Mods....and NO!, My ESP light IS NOT ON!
Absolute Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
charles
Granite Guru

Member # 8233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Offroad View Post
Dont limit the shock travel, as that really counter productive to what we are trying to acomplish here. use the currie Spring retainers and enjoy the flex from the RK kit. Problem is with the JK not any of the kits. The unseated spring length thats available for low height lifts is not enough to let it flex properly without the spring coming un seated. Not a big issue, just fix it and forget about it. RK is going to be more noticeable because these kits flex so much compared to the others.
What makes you think RK flexes more than TF? It's an honest question...not an attack. The only reason I haven't popped a spring is because TF puts the correct spring retainers in their kit.
charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:

Bottom line: I am one of those people who value customer service. I have had bad luck with TF product on more than one occasion (with TJ's) and there customer service wasn't any better. I wasn't looking to make this a bash TF thread, I am looking for other options besides TF spacer.

That being said.
The problem with the springs is a JK problem this could happen with any lift and yes, it would have been nice to have something come in the lift kit to fix this issue but I don't see it as the end of the world.

Springs can be re-seated it was a PITA with the way this happened. This is my first 4 door so I didn't realize it was a problem. I was curious to know what others are doing to fix the problem.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:
What makes you think RK flexes more than TF? It's an honest question...not an attack. The only reason I haven't popped a spring is because TF puts the correct spring retainers in their kit.
As for Flex I have the RK shocks which allow more travel than most. I think the shock you run has more to do with it than TF or RK, mid arm lift compared to a mid arm...
Old 12-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Offroad View Post
Dont limit the shock travel, as that really counter productive to what we are trying to acomplish here. use the currie Spring retainers and enjoy the flex from the RK kit. Problem is with the JK not any of the kits.
Have you used the Currie kit? Does clamping it off on both ends limit anything? I figure the weight of the axle would still allow it to flex just as much but I have never seen a spring clamped on both ends off-road.
Does anyone have pics of the Currie Kit in action?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
redx08
Rock God

Member # 5731
I used the currie spring retainers and just used the top portion of the kit. That way I could have full flex and the spring would seat correctly on the bottom every time. The bottom of the spring might come off, but when the axle starts to travel back up the spring will go right where it is suppose. keeps the spring in place and allows full travel.
www.rivercityoffroad.com
www.offroadalliance.com
redx08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
PIG
JKowners Vendor

Member # 119
Quote:
As for Flex I have the RK shocks which allow more travel than most. I think the shock you run has more to do with it than TF or RK, mid arm lift compared to a mid arm...
I think the solution is simple. You need to run a spring with more travel. Have you take a look at THESE?
PIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #16
Rock Krawler Suspension
JKowners Vendor

Member # 4318
Peanut

Our shocks have a large amount of travel in them and there is no spring out on the market that will allow you to use all the travel without some tricks. Unfortunately, we do not limit the suspension droop with out shocks. For people that like to use some tricks, they allow the coil to come unseated and then reseat similar to Absolute Offroads comments. We install and recommend limiting stress to prevent over extension of components and the shocks! If you would like, give us a shout. We will be more than happy to help you out.

RK

The Originator of the Independent 3 Link System!
Rock Krawler Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
Miraz
Granite Guru

Member # 7848
I've had similar issues (mine dropped out completely!) and experimented with the Poly Springs and found that whilst the PP springs didn't dislocate, they changed the balance between the front and rear suspensions....the front stopped flexing, and the softer rear did all the work. RK's spring rates seem to be significantly higher than PP's.

Ended up going back to the RK Springs, but using the Currie Retainers to keep everything in place.
Miraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
I've had similar issues (mine dropped out completely!) and experimented with the Poly Springs and found that whilst the PP springs didn't dislocate, they changed the balance between the front and rear suspensions....the front stopped flexing, and the softer rear did all the work. RK's spring rates seem to be significantly higher than PP's.

Ended up going back to the RK Springs, but using the Currie Retainers to keep everything in place.
Do you use both ends?
I figure I am going to just use the top Currie retainer and add a long bumpstop on the bottom to help guide it home LOL Currie is closed until the 3rd of Jan so it may be a little bit before I get this installed and I will post up after.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #19
TeraFlex
JKowners Vendor

Member # 1767
Quote:
Bottom line: I am one of those people who value customer service. I have had bad luck with TF product on more than one occasion (with TJ's) and there customer service wasn't any better. I wasn't looking to make this a bash TF thread, I am looking for other options besides TF spacer.
Sorry to hear that. I can tell you that our Customer Service Dept. has changed quite a bit in the last few years. PM your name and address to me and I will have CS send you a set of rear 1/2" coil guide/spacers for free.
YOUTUBE Videos
TeraFlex never left the market or the trail.
TeraFlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
austinjeepr
Rock God

Member # 8185
Talk about stepping up to the plate!
austinjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
desert dog
JKO Addict!

Member # 7121
I'm using the TF coil retainers that came with the kit and have never lost a spring. My Fox shock set-up has lots of drop too. Id just use retainers like others have suggested.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
Sorry to hear that. I can tell you that our Customer Service Dept. has changed quite a bit in the last few years. PM your name and address to me and I will have CS send you a set of rear 1/2" coil guide/spacers for free.
If this is the case than I suppose I should order the bump stops I need from you and cancel my other order...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #23
TeraFlex
JKowners Vendor

Member # 1767
Quote:
If this is the case than I suppose I should order the bump stops I need from you and cancel my other order...
Sounds good to me!
YOUTUBE Videos
TeraFlex never left the market or the trail.
TeraFlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
I received the Tera spacers and lower retainers. I installed them tonight and so far this seems like it should work. I need to get it out and flex it around but at max droop the guide is long enough. I will post up once I get a chance to test this out but if it works it is an easy fix. I did not retain the stock rubber spacers so I believe the lift is in the same spot I will measure up and post updates on that as well.
I went with the Tera bumps for the top front and rear bottom as this sounds like what I needed for the lift.
Thanks to TeraFlex for there support and sending me the parts I needed. I even got a new hat!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #25
BenFoo
JKO Addict!

Member # 8805
Another thing to keep in mind, if you adjusted your rear pinion angle properly your springs will have an affinity to bow under load and pop out when they are unloaded. This is because of the axle being rotated up for proper angle.

RK makes spring wedges that help alleviate the issue and keep the springs straighter.....your other option is to cut the spring perches off and re-weld them on in the proper spot.

BenFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.