JKOwners Forum banner

MBRP Diesel Jeep – 4 Door JK Truck

238K views 632 replies 161 participants last post by  snout 
#1 ·
We are in the process of beginning a new project, and would like to share our progress with you guys. As many of you know, we have been avid Jeep enthusiasts for many years, and have been in the performance diesel market for even longer… We have decided to take two of our biggest passions, and turn them into our latest project.

The basics of the build will involve installing a 12 valve Cummins out of a ’97 extended cab long box 2500 Dodge pick up, into a stretched 2007 4 door JK unlimited. The end result will be a full 4 door JK with a pick up box. There are many different options for a build like this and we are in the early stages of development at this time. We feel that this Jeep will be something a little different, but really cool and appeal to both our Jeep and Diesel enthusiasts.

A few shots of the donor truck, and new project JK:

See less See more
#13 ·
We are going to be doing some things that will be similar to what was done in this project, but there will be some pretty big differences as well. Ours is a 12 valve cummins, and the JK body is undergoing some pretty significant changes. I don't believe a full 4 door JK pick up truck has been done before...

We just want to build something cool, but at the same time be able to wheel it just like we have done with our other SEMA projects in MOAB.

#8 ·
This is gonna be great. I have a 97 12-valve tow pig and would love to have that kind of power in my JK.

I'm puzzled at how you're gonna stuff the engine in there though. Them 6bt's are LONG. Do you plan on using the JK frame or moving everything over to the Dodge frame.

On another note. How is the bed and interior on your Dodge? Interested in selling any unused parts?

#9 ·
#14 ·
We really appreciate the support and excitement around this build. While the final details are still in the works, I can assure you that we are just as pumped about this project as anyone.

We hope that everyone can see that this JK truck project is something that is special to us because of our history in the Diesel industry. We also wanted to build something that our fellow Jeep enthusiasts could appreciate.

There have been many amazing Jeep builds that have been documented over the past few years and our hope is to try to combine a few different ideas into one project jeep. I will keep posting updates as they become available.

#16 ·
We got the cab and box removed from our donor truck this morning and are starting to get into the good stuff now. The body and box were in pretty rough shape thanks to our lovely Canadian winters, but the drive train all looks really solid and will make a great starting point. We are going to be working with our body guys over the next few days or weeks to set up a plan of attack going forward.

A few shots of today's progress:

#20 ·
We are going to be making a custom box out of sheet metal. The only part of the truck that we are going to be using is the motor, and frame. This motor is HEAVY, and needs something a little more rigid than the JK frame. Still working out details on trans, suspension, axles, transfer case etc.

#22 ·
Looking for a 4 Door hard top and AEV pick up box...

We are looking for a 4 door hard top to cut up for our latest project. If you have a hard top laying around that is collecting dust or getting in the way, we would be happy to take it off your hands for the right price.

Also curious to see if anyone has one of the TJ AEV Brute pick up box conversions that might have been purchased and the project was never completed or maybe just know someone who might have one of these.

#24 ·
Now is a good time to Stud and o-ring the head. Dragon flow that puppy both Pump and 5 x .022 DF EDM's, Lazer cut DV's, and SPS 62 / Silver bullet setup and of course and MBRP exhaust!....................

Oh wait my bad It's the Dodge mentality taking hold here. But seriously I would at least o-ring and stud it. I'm gonna go outside and burn some Diesel

#33 ·
We have had a good week here on this project.......... we now have a little more direction on how this project is heading and wanted to share with you guys what we have so far.

THE FRAME / CAGE: We will be using the JK frame , not the Ram frame. We had originally thought we would have to use the Ram frame for strength but after a much closer look we feel we can design / build from the JK frame to make a very dependable set up. This way we keep it all "JK " as well. Well sort of .

There will be a full cage built for the project, this will be an integral part of being able to utilize the JK frame.

THE BED: There will be a truck style bed on the project ...... We always use Xtreme Customs in Burlington Ontario for all our body mods and paint work . These guys are are adding 17" behind the rear doors, this will be all "bed" area. We purchased a JK hard top yesterday and are cutting it up , making it shorter ( to fit directly behind the doors ) while still keeping the Freedom top panels. I hope to have the hard top cut and fitting on the Jeep by the end of the week, pics will be posted as soon as we get this done.

THE SUSPENSION: We are still up in the air as to exactly what parts are being used here yet. Our goal here it to make it bullet proof, lost of clearance and really cool looking. Rock Krawler is hooking us up with a set of their coilovers, Currie is getting us hooked up with diffs, we are speaking with AxleTech re Portals as well....

We will be working with Jason of Kat Kustoms in Ohio on the frame and suspension. We have supplied Jason with MBRP exhaust systems on several of his projects over the years and have always been impressed with his workmanship. I'm sure he will deliver a killer set up for our Jeep.

THE MOTOR / TRANS : As already mentioned a Cummins 12V with an auto trans is being used to power this project. The motor is being torn down this week and will receive a full rebuild as well as a truck load of performance parts. Fuel pump will be worked, a perf cam will be added, and twin turbos will top of the entire rebuild. We are shooting for the 600HP / 1000+ ft / lbs range and fully drivable on the trial or on the road.

WHEELS / TIRES: We are looking to run full beadlocks with 44" or 46" tires. if we end up going this large we will be addressing both suspension and body mods that will allow us to keep this jeep as low as possible and still rock crawling friendly.

EXHAUST : MBRPinc of course. We will be building a header and full 4" exhaust systems for this project. We will end the system off with a 6" single black stack in the bed of the Jeep.

Thats all we have right now, as we move forward myself, Jeff or Steve will be updating this thread as often as possible. There is a rendering being done as we speak, I hope to have this posted next week as well.

Sometime next week we would like to have a full listing of the companies involved in this build. Over the years we have been very fortunate to have worked with and been sponsored by some of the very best in our industry.

Thanks MB

#35 ·
THE FRAME / CAGE: We will be using the JK frame , not the Ram frame. We had originally thought we would have to use the Ram frame for strength but after a much closer look we feel we can design / build from the JK frame to make a very dependable set up. This way we keep it all "JK " as well. Well sort of .
:beer:

I now delcare this project different and special! Thanks =]

Looking at the frame and the changes made to the J8 frame, I figured it was possible to reinforce and JK frame and use it for the engine. The only issue I see is tryin to mount the engine to hopefully not make it extremely nose heavy.

With the additional weight and power I hope you plan on using a FF rear axle.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.