Lifter replacement on a 3.8 (warning, no pics yet) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
afoulk
Rock God

Member # 1555
Lifter replacement on a 3.8 (warning, no pics yet)

Just wanted let you guys know that I started replacing the lifters on my buddies mom's 05 dodge grand caravan with the 3.8, same motor we have. Anyways, she was experiencing a really bad lifter tick, so we decided to pull the heads and replace all the lifters. If you look at the lifters, theres a clip in the top of them that holds the piston in the lifter body. On a good one, the spring inside the lifters holds that piston out against the clip. About half of them had bad springs in them and you could see that the piston was not returning all the way out against the clip. This is why she had such a bad lifter tick at start up, but sometimes they would start ticking and it would never go away. Anyways, we sent the heads to a local machine shop and apparently they had to weld both heads up due to cavitation around the entrances to the coolant passages. I think my buddy also said it needed 6 new valves and seats betweent he 2 heads because they were sunk up in to far, most likely caused by the bad lifters. All this with only 115,000miles on it. This thing has always had oil changes at 5,000miles with synthetic, and gets a lot of high way miles. Now the coolant was never changed, so I'd recommend to you guys to change yours before it hits 100,000miles cause it doesnt seem to last as long as chrysler says it does. They shaved the heads just enough to clean them up and are setting all the valves to the proper height compared to the deck surface of the heads since there is no provision for valve adjustment on these engines. Basically, I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on how these engines hold up at 100,000 miles and because I know some of you are experiencing a lifter tick, me included. Hes gonna finish putting it back together once he gets the heads back from the machine shop, so I will try and get pics of it while its apart if I can.
SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
afoulk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Taco08jk
Rock God

Member # 11133
Got it, thanks for the heads up brother.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
bonz
Wheeler

Member # 12444
i have the ticking sound in my engine underload
bonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Goodysgotacuda
Opinionated

Member # 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz View Post
i have the ticking sound in my engine underload
may be pinging too..

WannaBe Off Road Shop
Goodysgotacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
They shaved the heads just enough to clean them up and are setting all the valves to the proper height compared to the deck surface of the heads since there is no provision for valve adjustment on these engines.
Doesn't the hydraulic lifter qualify as a "provision for valve adjustment"?
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
bonz
Wheeler

Member # 12444
i tried 93 oct but the sound still there
bonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
afoulk
Rock God

Member # 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Doesn't the hydraulic lifter qualify as a "provision for valve adjustment"?
yes to a certain extent, but they only provide so much. I can't give you the exact amount of travel that one of the lifters have yet, but on any other engine where you can adjust the valves, your only talking about a few thousandths of an inch of valve lash, which is basically what the hydraulic lifters are there to provide. You still wanna have your valve height set to spec.
SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
afoulk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
your only talking about a few thousandths of an inch of valve lash, which is basically what the hydraulic lifters are there to provide.
Hydraulic lifters are designed to close the gap completely, without any chance of holding the valve open.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.