Check Engine Light always on - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
DBrosJeep
Granite Guru

Member # 10256
Check Engine Light always on

i got that orange check engine (emmissions) light . its always on. for a while it said gas cap then i had a new one put on and a senor on the evap. went off for one day back on I just stick my ipod in front of it so I dont have blinding light at night... any ideas????
DBrosJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
How about codes. Either the jeep will tell you or any parts store will do it or free. Have to narrow it down just a tad, only about 1,001 possibilities.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
mikebigh
over tired

Member # 7645
Garage
Yeah, most auto parts stores will scan it and give you the codes its throwing. Cant do much until that, unless its obvious like your evap can is crushed or something.

Ragga Fucking Jungle
mikebigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
SFCCotton
Rock God

Member # 5135
With the check engine light and gascap it can be a few things. I just had this problem when I did the evap relocation. The sensor thing was my problem also. I put it on upside down (yes it is possible). Once I cleared that code the gascap light went off after about 40 miles. The gascap light is not a code. It can be on and you will get no codes. It merely is an indication that your gas cap is off/loose, the seal is bad, or the hoses on the tube from the tank to the filler are leaking. Take the gas cap off and clean the seal but I'll bet if you get your sensor problem straightened out the gascap light will go off too.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Obstruction of Justice
Rock God

Member # 6064
Scan it.
Obstruction of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
djkbooth
Granite Guru

Member # 7864
1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.
2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list to find out what they mean.
3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.

SEE LINK FOR CODES AND SAVE THEM TO ADOBE!
http://project-jk.com/images/writeup...rror-codes.pdf

Last edited by djkbooth; 11-20-2010 at 05:19 PM.
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
H8T2W8T
Rock God

Member # 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.
2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list to find out what they mean.
3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.

SEE LINK FOR CODES AND SAVE THEM TO ADOBE!
http://project-jk.com/images/writeup...rror-codes.pdf

I did this a while back to check my codes. I was getting gas cap, and the engine light was always on. This was after I busted up the evap and relocated it.

The codes all referred to P0456/P0457/and one other I can't remember.
‐ EVAP PURGE SYSTEM SMALL LEAK
‐ LOOSE FUEL CAP

I should probably just buy a new evap or whatever the white connector is called since thats what took the most damage getting ripped off.

My Build

www.OverbuiltCustoms.com
H8T2W8T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
SFCCotton
Rock God

Member # 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8T2W8T View Post
I did this a while back to check my codes. I was getting gas cap, and the engine light was always on. This was after I busted up the evap and relocated it.

‐ LOOSE FUEL CAP

I should probably just buy a new evap or whatever the white connector is called since thats what took the most damage getting ripped off.
Unfortunately you have to buy the whole evap to get the white connector! It's a jeep thing...I don't understand!
Contact ProZack to get a good deal on one.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
hambone303
Granite Guru

Member # 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8T2W8T View Post

‐ LOOSE FUEL CAP

I have the same issue. I had replaced my sensor once before when I trashed the evap can. I also have replaced and guarded the canister, had my gas tank and filler hose assembly replaced under warranty, and the code is back again.??? P0456

96 XJ, 8"lift, 36" Swampers, 8.8 detroit rear, lots of other mods
hambone303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
SFCCotton
Rock God

Member # 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone303 View Post
I have the same issue. I had replaced my sensor once before when I trashed the evap can. I also have replaced and guarded the canister, had my gas tank and filler hose assembly replaced under warranty, and the code is back again.??? P0456
Check the rubber seal on the gas cap. Mine was filthy so we cleaned it and put i back on. May not be it but it can't hurt!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
tkob1060
JKO Addict!

Member # 5021
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
Unfortunately you have to buy the whole evap to get the white connector! It's a jeep thing...I don't understand!
Contact ProZack to get a good deal on one.
no you dont the part is only 10 bucks, part # 4891685-AA Detector Evap
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

She still needs your help in 2011 click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
rcul8r
Granite Guru

Member # 10055
djkbooth - that might very well be one of the most useful replies / write-ups I've seen that I might like to access again (and again and again).

There are some other useful things that have ended up as stickies in one section or another. Any chance this might end up as one also?

This site friggin' rocks!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.