Detroit TrueTrac vs. Eaton ELocker: Which one where? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
chrispage
Wheeler

Member # 10507
Detroit TrueTrac vs. Eaton ELocker: Which one where?

Yes, I've Googled this and read about a thousand different opinions, but the opinions are all over the board (no pun intended).

I'm a Jeep newbie, and I'm looking for more/better traction in mud, but also on the road snow/ice. I've got a 2010 JK Unlimited Mountain Edition (non-Rubi, Dana 44/Dana 30). This is my daily driver, which I also pull motocross bikes on the weekend and do some light to moderate trail/log/mud/stream off-roading (maybe more difficult terrain as I get more experience). I live in Louisville, KY, which also means we get 6"-18" of snow a year, and at least once a winter we get a week's worth of solid ice on the roads. We also get a lot of rain in the Spring.

So I'm thinking some combination of Eaton ELocker(s) and Detroit TrueTrac LSD's. My question is: which one do I put in the front, and which in the rear, for the best all around traction and performance for my lifestyle above? I've read "ELockers everywhere" and "you don't want TrueTrac up front in snow" or some say not in the rear, others say don't go ELockers for both because you'll have no diff slip control in 2WD, others say TrueTrac front and back, etc....

2nd (newbie) question: Do I have to be in 4Lo to engage the ELockers, or can I also run them in 4Hi? Can you lock one diff in 2WD?

Also, I'm not some super mechanic that is going to be dissecting gearboxes in my spare time. I have a wife and five boys; if I manage a trip to commode without interruption it's a miracle. So low maintenance/high reliability is a must.

I'm also going to be getting 4.88's at the same time to handle the 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Thanks in advance!

93% of American children diagnosed in the womb with Down syndrome are aborted, often after their parents have been given hopeless descriptions of their offsprings' futures. Trisomy 21 (a genetic alteration that occurs when an individual has three, rather than two, copies of the 21st chromosome) is the cause of approximately 95% of observed Down syndromes.
T21 - Choose Life.
chrispage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
bubba2u
Rock God

Member # 5552
I'm running 4.88's in my jk with 35's(34.25 km2). you say its your daily driver so thought you should know i turn about 3100 rpm at 80. i wouldn't waste my my money on a LSD. they don't do squat off road. if you run in snow and ice you should go with a selectable locker up front so you can turn it off on road. i think arb and ox make the best selectable lockers out there. i run a lunch box locker up front, inexpensive but you cant unlock it. i will be running a Detroit locker in the rear when my funds allow.
edit: i have a 6 speed

Last edited by bubba2u; 11-11-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: 6 speed here, chart added
bubba2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Constantine
Rock God

Member # 10837
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba2u View Post
I'm running 4.88's in my jk with 35's(34.25 km2). you say its your daily driver so thought you should know i turn about 3100 rpm at 80. i wouldn't waste my my money on a LSD. they don't do squat off road. if you run in snow and ice you should go with a selectable locker up front so you can turn it off on road. i think arb and ox make the best selectable lockers out there. i run a lunch box locker up front, inexpensive but you cant unlock it. i will be running a Detroit locker in the rear when my funds allow.
edit: i have a 6 speed
I agree save your money and get ARB's. Selectable is the way to go
Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
scottrock
JKO Addict!

Member # 3273
ARB's may be the popular choice for a selectable locker but "they are the best" is purely opinion. I'll also argue the statement that a limited slip doesn't do squat offroad. It's more about your expectations and desired end result than "it does work, or it doesn't work".

That said, I put a TrueTrac in my daily driven D30 and I'm very pleased with it's performance offroad.

The Detriot has no clutches to wear out, is half the cost of an ARB and is "always there".
scottrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
enigmaverse
Rock God

Member # 4659
Quote:
Arent these the same thing? I was under the impression that a lunchbox locker was an LSD.

If your options are only to have 1 of each, my feeling is to put the selectable up front and the LSD in the rear. The reason being is you'll have the ability to turn off the locker when you dont want it or need it in the front, where the LSD will always be there as soon as you enter 4wd... and it will be available in 2wd too.

I have a rear elocker wired independently, I have had it on in 2wd, 4hi, and 4 low at low speeds. However, I'm not sure how much velocity the locker can take(ie. running 50mph in 2wd with the locker engaged)... in a stock rubi, doenst the locker auto disengage if you exceed 11mph?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
GreenJK
Granite Guru

Member # 6997
Quote:
I have a wife and five boys; if I manage a trip to commode without interruption it's a miracle. So low maintenance/high reliability is a must.
TrueTracs front and back. No electric or air lines, full case, great for everything except 'tires in the air' off-roading.

Quote:
"you don't want TrueTrac up front in snow"
incorrect. You don't want autolockers on snow/ice. Meaning a Detroit locker, lunchbox locker, etc. (that is subjective, of course. Many people drive auto-locker equiped axles on snow and ice, just not the best option)

Quote:
Arent these the same thing? I was under the impression that a lunchbox locker was an LSD.
A lunchbox is a cheap locker that goes 'inside' the stock diff case. -as opposed to a detroit locker that 'replaces' the stock case and is much stronger. (plenty of info floating around on the differences between 'lockers' and 'limited slips', but you can put lunchboxes in the same catagory as lockers.)

Last edited by GreenJK; 11-11-2010 at 03:35 PM.
GreenJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
enigmaverse
Rock God

Member # 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
A lunchbox is a cheap locker that goes 'inside' the stock diff case. -as opposed to a detroit locker that 'replaces' the stock case and is much stronger. (plenty of info floating around on the differences between 'lockers' and 'limited slips', but you can put lunchboxes in the same catagory as lockers.)
learn something new everyday... thanks. just got done reading. I was under the impression that they were nearly identical (aside from one replacing carrier and the other not).
Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
chrispage
Wheeler

Member # 10507
Quote:
I'm running 4.88's in my jk with 35's(34.25 km2). you say its your daily driver so thought you should know i turn about 3100 rpm at 80.
Interesting. I'm definitely a 75-80mph on the interstate driver, which is why I'm dying right now (the slightest headwind or single degree incline, and I'm dropped out of OD running 4500RPM). Would you have gone with the 5.13 if you were doing it over?

93% of American children diagnosed in the womb with Down syndrome are aborted, often after their parents have been given hopeless descriptions of their offsprings' futures. Trisomy 21 (a genetic alteration that occurs when an individual has three, rather than two, copies of the 21st chromosome) is the cause of approximately 95% of observed Down syndromes.
T21 - Choose Life.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
An auto-lock diff is gonna be crap on ice in 2wd, you'll be pushing through the corners. However, once in 4wd the front has the ability to pull the rearend around for much better steering. In which case its better then unlocked. Its up to you. Which ever you choose you'll need to get use to how it handles..

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, AEV Premium front bumper, LightForce Striker 170 lights, Mr Grille Billet grille, Vent shades, Bug Deflector, Flex-A-Lite 18,000 GVW Transcooler, drilled mirrors, zip tied hood latches, Jeep slush mats and a few more little goodies.
jtphoto JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Racer83l
Rock God

Member # 5393
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispage View Post
Interesting. I'm definitely a 75-80mph on the interstate driver, which is why I'm dying right now (the slightest headwind or single degree incline, and I'm dropped out of OD running 4500RPM). Would you have gone with the 5.13 if you were doing it over?
if you have an auto trans. go with 5.13's.. I run them and would have gone 5.38 if I had a rubi.

And I get decent fuel mileage..
YouTube - Jk mpg

as far as lockers go... I personally dont need any at all.. the BLD system in the JK is adequate and keeps the JK going when a wheel is in the air.

Last edited by Racer83l; 11-15-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Racer83l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
d'sjk
JKO Addict!

Member # 5640
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post
as far as lockers go... I personally dont need any at all.. the BLD system in the JK is adequate and keeps the JK going when a wheel is in the air.
I disagree, the more I push my Jeep the more I realize that lockers are a must especially at crawl speed over softer obstacles and/or slick rocks.

Now if you are running trails where you can be a bit heavy on the pedal then you can often get by without lockers.
d'sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Jollydodger
Granite Guru

Member # 3746
The most reliable, simplest and conservative way to go is put Truetrac front and back. If you want to re-gear since, everything will be apart anyway, put in 5.13 gears at the same time, and you are done. No wires, no switches, no air lines, compressor etc. This is actually the most cost effective as well.

Unless you want to spend a ton of money on your Dana 30 (chromoly axles, sleeves, gussets, truss etc.) a full locker is just too demanding for your current set up. The other option would be to swap it out your Dana 30 for a Dana 44 up front to realistically accommodate a locker (you could also put 5.38 gears in the 44).

A Truetrac would be much less taxing up front on your stock axle. It's there when you need it, and helps a lot in all situations except where you are lifting tires all the time. It works in tandem with the built in traction control so anyone who says otherwise doesn't know.

You would have to look on the Eaton Elocker site but I think they recommend not going over 30-35 maybe with it locked. Lockers are great for really tough trails, occasionally really bad snow. On ice they are mostly going to spin you out so no gain there. Front lockers in the winter conditions are just going to drag you into the ditch or the on coming lane.

I am not sure why, in your situation you would want to lock both ends when it doesn't even sound like you would use them. Do you really have an extra two grand burning a hole in your pocket and can't find anything else to spend it on? Go buy some really good tires, there's $1500 right there.
Jollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
desert dog
JKO Addict!

Member # 7121
Garage
LSDs do pretty good off-road, until you get into rocks gardens; then its just as good as an open dif. But, they do great in the snow, mud, and dirt.

My ARBs on my YJ and XJ never broke, but I did have occasional problems with solenoids, lines, and fittings and they have ended my fun on several trips. This weekend in Johnson Valley, a couple of rigs will ARBs in our group went down on the first day because of these little issues. The ARB unit itself is probably the strongest selectable unit you can buy, but its not maintenance free and requires the installation of an on-board air system. You can't go wrong with an ARB if you want a tough unit that works great when dialed in right.

I think that the cable actuated OX lockers are the absolute worse thing you can get. Everyone who has them that I wheel with (even a few on this forum ) end up under their jeeps monkeying with the cable constantly (but still recommend them ). Even when you get the cable right, it seems to stretch and need further adjustment.

I ran the Eaton e-locker in the rear of my JK when I had a D44 back there, and am currently running one in the rear of my TJ. They work great and were absolutely trouble free. They are not built as strong as the ARB, but are completely maintenance free and don't require an on-board air system. The only draw-back to the e-locker IMO, is that you must roll several feet before they engage and disengage. I ran the toughest trails you can put a JK through with this locker (including the hammers), and it worked. It survived 3 broken axle shafts before I grenaded the whole rear-end when my ring gear broke. An ARB is probably better suited for this environment, but my point is that the e-locker is not weak either.

I am now running Detroit Lockers front and rear in my JK today (with manual hubs in the front), and this is by far the best off-road setup I have ever used. Its not the most street friendly or icy conditions safe locker combo, but it owns the trail and is barely noticeable on the street during normal driving. IMO, I would stay with selectable lockers for a daily driver in bad winter conditions.

Thats what I have experienced, YMMV.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
njjk08
JKO Addict!

Member # 2663
Sooo.. No detroit lockers up front? What about the rear? Also.. What if i'm running Locking hubs up front. Can't I open them up and eliminate the issues with a detroit in the front? Just wondering cause I need to shop around for lockers and I like the detroit lockers but everyone keeps saying I can't drive on the street with them. Then I also get people saying i'll be fine cause i'm running a locking hubs up front and can disengage them. I'm confused.

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
njjk08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
chrispage
Wheeler

Member # 10507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollydodger View Post
The most reliable, simplest and conservative way to go is put Truetrac front and back. If you want to re-gear since, everything will be apart anyway, put in 5.13 gears at the same time, and you are done. No wires, no switches, no air lines, compressor etc. This is actually the most cost effective as well.

Unless you want to spend a ton of money on your Dana 30 (chromoly axles, sleeves, gussets, truss etc.) a full locker is just too demanding for your current set up. The other option would be to swap it out your Dana 30 for a Dana 44 up front to realistically accommodate a locker (you could also put 5.38 gears in the 44).

A Truetrac would be much less taxing up front on your stock axle. It's there when you need it, and helps a lot in all situations except where you are lifting tires all the time. It works in tandem with the built in traction control so anyone who says otherwise doesn't know.
Lots of great info, thanks to everyone. Sounds like the E-Lockers are a great option, but for my needs (increased traction on mud/dirt/snow without sacrificing pavement manners) the TrueTracs are the way to go for me. I'll be getting 5.13's and the TrueTracs installed in the next couple of weeks.

No doubt I'll be revisiting in the next year or two when my driving ambitions sufficiently outgrow LSDs... argh, the spending never ends!

T21 - Choose Life.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #16
chrispage
Wheeler

Member # 10507
Impressions after a month:

After almost a month of TrueTracs (front and rear) and 5.13 gears in various conditions:

Daily driving: As expected, the TrueTracs are invisible. There is no understeer or pushing through corners as I've heard there is with an autolocker. Nor is there any chirping, popping or any other harsh signs of engagement/disengagement. And as expected, happy to report that the 5.13's got the JK back pretty close to stock as far as gas mileage, acceleration, etc. Running those 35" tires with 3.72's for a couple of months was painful, especially on the highway.

Mud: Due to the way these "engage" (no compressors to activate, no buttons to push), it's difficult to know when they're doing their thing, except that I no longer have any wheel spin, and even in deep mud, the Jeep just keeps going. The Truetrac simply transfers torque instantly and seemlessly from one wheel to the other all the while not affecting the Jeeps ability to turn. In a couple of climb situations in mud with extreme slippage I did have to use the throttle-brake technique for a second to get the TrueTracs to engage, but you could feel them go to work and up the hill you go.

Snow: We just got our first few inches of snow-turned-icy-mess, so I got to play with testing the TrueTracs engaging by doing the simple verification they suggest in their owner's manual: in 4WD (having both front and rear TrueTracs) you put the left tires on a surface with traction, and the right tires on the snow/ice. The moment I accelerate enough for the tires to slip, The wheel spin stops
(it happens so fast you'll almost miss it)and now I'm accelerating effortlessly uphill, on packed snow, with no slippage. I drove around last night just looking for places to get stuck, and the TrueTracs performed like a champ. I did however verify that the TrueTracs don't help you stop any better when sliding down an icy hill .

So, no doubt your mileage may vary. I'm not saying the TrueTracs are better than any number of locker setups out there for various scenarios. I know for example they are not the way to go for rock crawling, and hardcore wheelers will likely recoil at the very notion of not having full lockers at the push of a button. But for my needs (low maintenance, better traction in nasty weather around the year as well as substantial traction gains for non-crawling off-road, without sacrificing daily driving manners) I have been extremely pleased with the TrueTracs so far.

T21 - Choose Life.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #17
Broncojohn
JKO Addict!

Member # 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispage View Post
I'm not saying the TrueTracs are better than any number of locker setups out there for various scenarios. I know for example they are not the way to go for rock crawling, and hardcore wheelers will likely recoil at the very notion of not having full lockers at the push of a button. But for my needs (low maintenance, better traction in nasty weather around the year as well as substantial traction gains for non-crawling off-road, without sacrificing daily driving manners) I have been extremely pleased with the TrueTracs so far.
Best part of the right up. They are great except when you're vertical with one wheel on the rock.
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Broncojohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
jkdan09

Member # 13788
I am going to kick this horse one more time. I am also thinking about a True-trak for the stock rear diff. My wheeling is light to med, loose rock, hill climbs, off camber in mud hills and light rock gardens. How did your JK handle under these type of conditions with the True-Traks? THX
jkdan09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Both would work but the issue you will run into is wishing you had a selectable locker. There will be times in the snow that you do not want a locker as it tends to want to run the jeep sideways. If you lived where there wasn't snow I would say it didn't matter but for a DD on snow packed roads you will kick yourself in the A$$ if you get either that you are talking about.
The other options all have pros and cons and I have seen a lot of the newer ARB's having problems, it would not be my first choice.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
RookieJK
JKO Addict!

Member # 13753
who online sells the truetracs as my wheeling and driving is almost 100% the same as the OPs
RookieJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
GreenJK
Granite Guru

Member # 6997
Quote:
Both would work but the issue you will run into is wishing you had a selectable locker. There will be times in the snow that you do not want a locker as it tends to want to run the jeep sideways. If you lived where there wasn't snow I would say it didn't matter but for a DD on snow packed roads you will kick yourself in the A$$ if you get either that you are talking about.
The TrueTrac is a limited, and works great on snow/ice. The E-locker is a selectable, so I will assume that he would turn it off for snow/ice. That choice will be about the budget. Less than $400 for the D30 limited or somewhere up around $900 for the selectable.

Quote:
I am going to kick this horse one more time. I am also thinking about a True-trak for the stock rear diff. My wheeling is light to med, loose rock, hill climbs, off camber in mud hills and light rock gardens. How did your JK handle under these type of conditions with the True-Traks? THX
TrueTracs don't do well when you have tires in the air. A little brake pressure will lock them up and get you through, but a true locker will work better. For the conditions you described, A TT should work just fine.

Quote:
who online sells the truetracs as my wheeling and driving is almost 100% the same as the OPs
Haven't checked prices on rear TT's, but 4wheelparts is selling the front d30 version for $395. My local shop ordered one from whatever source he uses and charged me $375 for it. Just check around with the forum sponsors and see what they can do for you.

Last edited by GreenJK; 03-22-2011 at 04:20 PM.
GreenJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #22
bubba2u
Rock God

Member # 5552
putting in a detroit this week
bubba2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #23
jpwheeling2000

Member # 16147
Your Wrong about Lunch Boxes, they do work, I have a PowerTrax no Slip System, simply to install, replaces the Spider Gears, I had my local High School machine shop install, they told me it was fun and they learned something about Axles. Yes I've driven this PowerTrax on Icy Roads, pretty good Icy Roads, I drove from Juneau, Alaska to Anchorage, Alaska it worked Wonderfully, drove on Top of the Pass doing 55, corning was great the system did it's thing and let the outside wheel turn more like it's suppose to, worked Great didn't have any Spins outs, this was my first Limited Slip Fully engaged Locker, I love it. Here is a Link on how this Fully Engaged, Limited Slip works- http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/nsspecifics.html I sense have installed a Truetrac in my Front Axle haven't taken it out on any Dirt Roads just yet, just had it installed this summer, looking forward on trying it. So as you might have guessed I did install the Powertrax in my Rear Axle, what I have is a Jeep Wrangler TJ 98, Changed out my Ring and Pinion to 4.56 when I had the Truetrac put in, running tire size 33. I do love this Jeep only this model is a little cramped the newer ones have better leg room, thats about the only grip I have, there not made for long road trips, all except for the newer ones. I've also researched on what kind of Fluid you should be running in the Truetrac, I do have Synthetic in mine, I'm not experiencing andy chatter like some are, from Blogs I've seen, there is a slight pull to one side, I forget which, other than that, it sems to be working, haven't really done any FourWheeling, where I live Juneau, these folks have pretty much Blocked off every off road here, so I always head to Canada, Whitehorse or Atlin, there are some very nice off roading up there, well sure hope I've helped you guys out, have anymore questions post something, I'll answer, forgot here's another URL on a dude thats running Synthetic also, he's not having any trouble, also I did call Eaton and talked with Tech Support he said a regular based Petroleum would work better, he said the engagement would just do a better job, those Worm gears need
to engage more, a Synthetic is to Slippery, he also said it wouldn't harm the locker and wouldn't cause any premature wear, thats if you leave the Synthetic in, ok here's that URL, who's also running Synthetic- http://www.mightytitans.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12805

Last edited by jpwheeling2000; 07-12-2011 at 01:12 PM.
jpwheeling2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #24
jpwheeling2000

Member # 16147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwheeling2000 View Post
Your Wrong about Lunch Boxes, they do work, I have a PowerTrax no Slip System, simply to install, replaces the Spider Gears, I had my local High School machine shop install, they told me it was fun and they learned something about Axles. Yes I've driven this PowerTrax on Icy Roads, pretty good Icy Roads, I drove from Juneau, Alaska to Anchorage, Alaska it worked Wonderfully, drove on Top of the Pass doing 55, corning was great the system did it's thing and let the outside wheel turn more like it's suppose to, worked Great didn't have any Spins outs, this was my first Limited Slip Fully engaged Locker, I love it. Here is a Link on how this Fully Engaged, Limited Slip works- http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/nsspecifics.html I sense have installed a Truetrac in my Front Axle haven't taken it out on any Dirt Roads just yet, just had it installed this summer, looking forward on trying it. So as you might have guessed I did install the Powertrax in my Rear Axle, what I have is a Jeep Wrangler TJ 98, Changed out my Ring and Pinion to 4.56 when I had the Truetrac put in, running tire size 33. I do love this Jeep only this model is a little cramped the newer ones have better leg room, thats about the only grip I have, there not made for long road trips, all except for the newer ones. I've also researched on what kind of Fluid you should be running in the Truetrac, I do have Synthetic in mine, I'm not experiencing andy chatter like some are, from Blogs I've seen, there is a slight pull to one side, I forget which, other than that, it sems to be working, haven't really done any FourWheeling, where I live Juneau, these folks have pretty much Blocked off every off road here, so I always head to Canada, Whitehorse or Atlin, there are some very nice off roading up there, well sure hope I've helped you guys out, have anymore questions post something, I'll answer, forgot here's another URL on a dude thats running Synthetic also, he's not having any trouble, also I did call Eaton and talked with Tech Support he said a regular based Petroleum would work better, he said the engagement would just do a better job, those Worm gears need
to engage more, a Synthetic is to Slippery, he also said it wouldn't harm the locker and wouldn't cause any premature wear, thats if you leave the Synthetic in, ok here's that URL, who's also running Synthetic- http://www.mightytitans.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12805
Lockers, Fluid, Truetrac and a nonSlip
jpwheeling2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
JPK
Rock God

Member # 8028
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
LSDs do pretty good off-road, until you get into rocks gardens; then its just as good as an open dif. But, they do great in the snow, mud, and dirt.

My ARBs on my YJ and XJ never broke, but I did have occasional problems with solenoids, lines, and fittings and they have ended my fun on several trips. This weekend in Johnson Valley, a couple of rigs will ARBs in our group went down on the first day because of these little issues. The ARB unit itself is probably the strongest selectable unit you can buy, but its not maintenance free and requires the installation of an on-board air system. You can't go wrong with an ARB if you want a tough unit that works great when dialed in right.

I think that the cable actuated OX lockers are the absolute worse thing you can get. Everyone who has them that I wheel with (even a few on this forum ) end up under their jeeps monkeying with the cable constantly (but still recommend them ). Even when you get the cable right, it seems to stretch and need further adjustment.

I ran the Eaton e-locker in the rear of my JK when I had a D44 back there, and am currently running one in the rear of my TJ. They work great and were absolutely trouble free. They are not built as strong as the ARB, but are completely maintenance free and don't require an on-board air system. The only draw-back to the e-locker IMO, is that you must roll several feet before they engage and disengage. I ran the toughest trails you can put a JK through with this locker (including the hammers), and it worked. It survived 3 broken axle shafts before I grenaded the whole rear-end when my ring gear broke. An ARB is probably better suited for this environment, but my point is that the e-locker is not weak either.

I am now running Detroit Lockers front and rear in my JK today (with manual hubs in the front), and this is by far the best off-road setup I have ever used. Its not the most street friendly or icy conditions safe locker combo, but it owns the trail and is barely noticeable on the street during normal driving. IMO, I would stay with selectable lockers for a daily driver in bad winter conditions.

Thats what I have experienced, YMMV.
I agree with everything written, except I would not have non selectables for my use because of the snow and even rain.

As far as getting elockers to unlock quicker, try quickly wiggling the steering wheel right and left after hitting the button. Works well for front and back, quicker for the front for the obvious reason that you are inducing more side to side motion there.

JPK
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.