Valve train noise? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
PmedicJ
Granite Guru

Member # 10750
Valve train noise?

I have a 2010 Rubicon with 4,000k miles on it and I have never noticed this before, probably because my radio is usually up but today while my satellite radio was acquiring signal on a steep upgrade my auto tranny downshifted and it tached up to redline I noticed what sounded like valve train noise (clattering) until it upshifted. If I am in normal range it sounds just fine only when it tachs up under load.

My question is this normal?
PmedicJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Mule'Con
Granite Guru

Member # 4071
sounds more like pinging (irregular detonation) possibly bad/low fuel, or, to low of octane? I run Synthetic oil so my engine purrs like a kitten w/~22k.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
PmedicJ
Granite Guru

Member # 10750
I run Amsoil (full synthetic) and it is definitely not pinging or detonation I can tell the difference from that as I have owned a lot of high performance vehicles. it sounds more like valve clatter (skating) or fuel injectors and only does it under high RPM's and once it upshifts it's all gone, only get it in passing band over 4.8 - redline rpm. it's almost as if the 3.8 was not meant to rev high, otherwise it runs great, no noise, no problem. I just might try some higher octane fuel and some isopropyl water remover for the heck of it and see if that works! It has been doing it on 2 tanks of fuel from different stations 87 octane.

Last edited by PmedicJ; 10-18-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
xact

Member # 7091
Quote:
Originally Posted by PmedicJ View Post
I have a 2010 Rubicon with 4,000k miles on it and I have never noticed this before, probably because my radio is usually up but today while my satellite radio was acquiring signal on a steep upgrade my auto tranny downshifted and it tached up to redline I noticed what sounded like valve train noise (clattering) until it upshifted. If I am in normal range it sounds just fine only when it tachs up under load.

My question is this normal?
By the sounds of it, yours is doing exactly what my 2010 does. I've had the same high-RPM clatter since I bought it. I've checked my heat shields, tried various different fuel stations, octanes, and even replaced my plugs and knock sensor... nothing really seems to change the behavior.

As much as I dislike the idea, I'm about to bring mine to the dealership and have them take a look at it. Please post back if you come up with anything as I'd really prefer not to do that.

Last edited by xact; 10-19-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo
xact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
bblustang90
Granite Guru

Member # 4840
I had this exact same issue i took it to the dealer and because i had an after market exhaust from the muffler back the service manager tried to tell me a baffle came loose in the muffler and thats what the rattle was an aftermarket rattle and they tried to charge me 30 bucks to look at it. I called BS on them and told him that the noise is comming from the engine and my muffler is under my driver side rear seat and he only said it sounded like that was the problem so i told them to give me my keys i aint paying them jack and i just been living with the noise ever since. but it only happens in high rpm under load haven't found anything yet thats causing it
bblustang90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
PmedicJ
Granite Guru

Member # 10750
well this makes # 3 with the same issue. It must be a Jeep thing, lol

Seriously I am thinking that because it is geared low we experience the clatter @ High RPM's because of a reduced load on the engine. I don't think this was meant to be a high reving motor to begin with. It does run perfect with no noise or clatter until it you punch it and it downshifts and hits 5k - redline...Once it upshifts all noise is gone.

Anyone Else?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
jacktuttle
Rock God

Member # 1772
Garage
Lightbulb In the old days....

In the old days we would install heaver valve springs or put spacers under them to make them tigher..... I think I have a box or to of the spacers in the shed..... With the valve grinding tools.
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
jacktuttle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Wubicon
Granite Guru

Member # 7338
Mine does that with the recommended oil weight. It doesn't do it with heavier oil. Mobil 1 10w30.
Wubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Jeep School
JKowners Vendor

Member # 4485
All of our 2010's make a distinctively "clattery" sound, even compared to our '08's-'09's. All JK's are prone to get some heat shield vibe, too, at higher RPM's. I just installed a Flowmaster muffler to mask some of that sound.
www.JeepTrailInfo.com -- downloadable maps & trailbooks
Youtube Channel
Jeep School is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
duker51
Wheeler

Member # 8275
I got it too. 6300 miles on my 6 speed Rubi. Anything over 4k rpms and I get the clatter. Uugh.
duker51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
Joneszj
pick up the pace

Member # 2793
Garage
I think I may have developed this noise...but mine is a little different I would say. I have a 6 speed also

My noise kicks in at LOW RPMs, from idle as soon as i give it gas, it rattles real loud almost like some sort of valve tapping, but it seems to be coming from the exhaust area. It does it the worst in first and second gear, and especially when the Jeep is cold. I do have an aftermarket exhaust and I kind of thought it could be one of the baffles but I find that to be really unlikely. But it does sound like it could be coming from that area. Anybody get to the bottom of this issue or have any recommendations of what I should be checking? The Jeep still runs so I think I'm mostly OK...
Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
PBach
Rock God

Member # 1209
Interesting. I've got this as well on one of my '07's. It has an auto tranny. My other '07, manual, has never had this noise. I have looked at everything....all heat shields, etc, and can not find what the noise is. Only on medium to hard acceleration. I've noticed it more when cold, however, sometimes when completely warmed up, it will do it. Interested to see if someone finds the culprit here.
JK Project 2
PBach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Joneszj
pick up the pace

Member # 2793
Garage
Well now I have a new "noise" that disturbs me much more. Turns out that when I turn on the Jeep at random times...and I do mean random, its never consistent, it makes a loud buzzing/whirring noise for about 10-20 seconds and has a slight shutter that I can feel through the steering wheel. Eventually it goes away and I am left the tick tick tick of the valve train noise.

I need to figure out how to get a video of this new noise, but in the mean time, does it sound familiar to anyone?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Bluewaterrider
Granite Guru

Member # 4368
Question Another 6 speed with this ! !??

I have this too!! It is under load, or no load and starts right off idle @ about 1500 rmps all the way up to redline. It sounds like a couple of nuts in a big coffee can with a plastic lid on it being swirlled in a circle while it is randomly shaken too. There really is no harmonic to this noise. I have a manual trans.

I only hear it after I stop and start moving, Or rev the engine in neutral AFTER I have been cruising for a while at high speed. The noise will only be there for a few blipps of the throttle in neutral, or the first start from a stop, then the noise is 98% gone.

I have been thinking sticking EGR valve is most likely the culprit because the noise goes away and it only makes it when hot??

Or a bad catalytic converter ??

Or a "floating" exhaust valve ???

this motor sucks period !

My JK also consumes 1 to 1.5 quarts between oil changes and I have tried Mobil1, Amsoil, Valvoline regular oil and Pennsoil regular oil (all being the recommended weight of 5w20)....dosent make a difference at all. Have also tried numerous makes of oil filters too. The synthetic does make cold starts a bit quieter but not much. Sometimes I think its gonna throw a rod when I start it cause it is soooo loud.

And for all thoes who think it is the throw out or pilot bearing..... please keep thinking cause the noise is still there wether the clutch is in or out, moving or stopped.

ALSO i have NO codes..... and my emission self check is OK too. WTF?????

"It's a Freedom Thing"

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 11-07-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Bluewaterrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
BenFoo
JKO Addict!

Member # 8805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Well now I have a new "noise" that disturbs me much more. Turns out that when I turn on the Jeep at random times...and I do mean random, its never consistent, it makes a loud buzzing/whirring noise for about 10-20 seconds and has a slight shutter that I can feel through the steering wheel. Eventually it goes away and I am left the tick tick tick of the valve train noise.

I need to figure out how to get a video of this new noise, but in the mean time, does it sound familiar to anyone?
what oil filter are you using jones?
BenFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Joneszj
pick up the pace

Member # 2793
Garage
I've just been using the Mopar filters.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
Joneszj
pick up the pace

Member # 2793
Garage
And I'm pretty sure the loud clicking noise I've been hearing is my rear driveshaft at the t-case. The boot is torn and theres a ton of grease that leaked out.

But I still get the shutter. And I have a quiet chinking noise. It sounds like a mechanical rattle and its always there. When the jeep is moving, it makes the clinky noise. I've been slowly trying to work on all the noises and quirks my jeep has, but as soon as I fix one another begins. The shutter really kind of scares me because its completely random when it happens, and when it does it feels like the jeep is having a meltdown.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #18
PmedicJ
Granite Guru

Member # 10750
Update

I found the cause, It was the heat shield on the passenger side exhaust manifold! It was getting worse and I started tapping on everything and discovered that the heat shield was the culprit, when I tapped on it I could here the noise so I bent it outward a little and the noise is gone.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
bblustang90
Granite Guru

Member # 4840
I have checked heat shields over and over and still found nothing. I did do an oil change and i added some greased lighting additive to it for shits and giggles and i did notice the rattle got softer at high rpm and the valve knock at start up completely went away for the time being.
bblustang90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #20
PmedicJ
Granite Guru

Member # 10750
I was wrong, it is not the heatshield! I am really beginning to think it is internal. Fuel grade is not the problem and nothing is loose 3x to the dealer and they have no idea. They have heard it, I have taken them for a ride and showed them but still no luck. It really sounds like valves are not the right clearance and the high rpm's helps them make this sound. Anyone with the problem try using a 30 weight oil? I am at a loss!
I am trading this in for a 2012 with the new motor and tranny. Then it will be my luck that they change the body style and my new half doors won't fit!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
PmedicJ
Granite Guru

Member # 10750
Just Got to thinking about detonation again, could a bad fuel cap cause it? The reason being is that is one thing I did do I bought the mopar locking cap.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #22
PmedicJ
Granite Guru

Member # 10750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon View Post
Mine does that with the recommended oil weight. It doesn't do it with heavier oil. Mobil 1 10w30.

I checked the exhaust bolts that attach to the manifold and they were very loose but not the cause. I took it for a ride and shifted into 2nd gear and drove to about 4000 rpm heard the noise let off the gas and coasted and the noise was still there but getting quieter until below 3000 rpm. which leads me to believe it is not spark knock.

I think it is the valves rattling! I wonder if it is the 20 weight oil and switching to a 30 would help?

I wonder if the recommended weight oil is the leading cause of failures also?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #23
Davesrb
Rock God

Member # 10805
Weird timing! My 07 with 63k miles on it just started this. Over a month ago I noticed this a few times. (auto) Not in 1st gear, just accelerating right before the shift to third, and some in third. If I accelerate hard and it downshifts I get it too. Really seems to have gotten worse the last 2 days.

I'm running 93 octane, and for the last 2 weeks been running the Superchips 91 tune. I'll flash it back to original tomorrow and see if it goes away....

I did go under the Jeep checking things out. Didn't find anything loose, but if I thump on the Evap canister, It does rattle. Maybe....
Davesrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #24
Dancin Dan
Banned

Member # 3812
Ping/knock

I'm getting what sounds like engine knock under load between mid through high rpm range.

Gotta gas up today, so I'll try upping the octane for a tank or to and see if I still hear it.
Dancin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #25
08rubicon
Granite Guru

Member # 9768
Angry

I get what sounds like a can of marbles when I start it and at take offs and sometimes befor shifting (auto 08 rubicon 2dr on 35s) today when I started the heep it was real bad so I hit the gas and reved it, it got even worse like real loud But thined out, i got sick of it so I turned the radio on
08rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.