How does the evap canister work? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
SoupSandwich
Granite Guru

Member # 11079
How does the evap canister work?

How does the evap canister work? I have River Raiders air tank / evap canister skid plate combo, modified to work with the RK 5.5 L/A lift. The Evap canister now mounts 90 degrees from where it was. The white box piece is now on the top. The old mounting point is now it's right side. It worked for about 2 days, now I am getting the "gascap" notification with no CEL. I for for codes and I get 0300 (multiple cylinder misfire), and 0443 (evap purge solenoid circuit). I have checked all of the electronics, everything is hooked up and has proper voltage. I have double checked all hose connections, and double checked the o-ring was in place.
Has anyone taken one of these mysterious black boxes apart to see how it works? Can this POS work sitting on its side or will it fill up with gasoline, blow up on the interstate, and burn to the ground...

SoupSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
SoK66
JKO Addict!

Member # 4483
Probably doesn't matter the orientation of the canister. It's just filled with a charcoal substance that absorbs tank vapors. In the old days when these were initially fit to cars as part of the emissions system they were just vented to the air cleaner and purged via vacuum. Now the engine management system will sense when the canister needs to be purged and will vent it to the intake as needed. Codes being triggered generally mean there's a vacuum leak somewhere which is fooling it into thinking the gas cap is not sealing. Of course, there's always the chance that the cap is actually faulty, but in your case I'd suspect a leaking or pinched line somewhere, or maybe even a crack in the canister itself.
SoK66 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
SoupSandwich
Granite Guru

Member # 11079
It may be the lines running to it, the are bent at a larger degree than normal, but not to the point where they are closed off. The lines are the hard plastic stuff that are not too friendly to bending. I may have to change those lines out to something else if this keeps up.
Besides seeing an annoying "GASCAP" light, is there a down side to this besides not passing an inspection?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
SoupSandwich
Granite Guru

Member # 11079
Found this http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...58/article.pdf

But no information on mounting orientation.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
scottrock
JKO Addict!

Member # 3273
Damn! I suck at the search!!

But I found it: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...=evap+canister

Posts 8 and 10

scottrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Ahh yes a problem I had... Gravity is what causes it to open and close. It was a white piece on my 2007 guessing it is the same on all of them but it needs to be rotated on the backside of the evap can. Good luck!
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
SoupSandwich
Granite Guru

Member # 11079
Thanks for everyones help. I pulled the white piece off and saw why it needs gravity. Cool little valve. I clocked it 90 degrees, ran the engine for a couple mins and all the codes are gone.
Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.