Dash Battery Light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Electrical & Lighting Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
daspes
Rock God

Member # 5755
Dash Battery Light

Past several weeks i've had the charging system warning light on the dash. Last Wednesday Jeep wouldn't start. Checked the factory battery and it was bone dry. Topped it off with some water and jumped and rolled into work. During lunch picked up the only 34 series battery the Exchange had in stock. Installed and no warning light.

All was good on the world again.

Drove home and the damn light came on again a few miles from the house. Pulled into the drive and popped the hood to put an eyeball on the ground strap and the alternator was on fire!!! Cursed a few times and started calling around to find a new alternator. No one, not pepboys, napa, advanced auto, carquest, autozone, had them available yet from the supplier. A 2007 was just to new. The dealer would have to order it. Would take about a week and run $275. The Exchange could have it rebuilt by a local shop in one day for $140 so I went that route. Dropped it off the alternator on Thursday morning, picked up that afternoon, and installed it that evening.

Fired right up, no warning light. All was good with the world once again.

Drove to work Friday. Around town al weekend, to work again on Monday and this morning. The on the way home this afternoon the damn light comes back on!!! WTF!

So I've checked all the wires and the negative cable to ground. All wires appear to be good with solid connections. The battery and alternator shouldn't be the issue now that they have been replaced. What else should I be looking for?
daspes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
JohnnyWalker
JKO Addict!

Member # 2387
Appears that maybe connections aren't always so solid, no?
JohnnyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
You have some serious chit going on there.
Did you check for fault codes? The charging system is monitored and will set codes.

Having the alternator rebuilt will not include the voltage regulator, as that is in the Powertrain Control Module. If it is bad, the PCM needs to be replaced.

Check for codes.
Check the charging voltage with a volt meter (engine running about 1,000 rpm, don't stand in line with the belt).

You may have to have the dealer hook up their scan tool to see what the charging system is doing.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-21-2010 at 06:36 PM.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
daspes
Rock God

Member # 5755
No codes thrown at all. Ivechecked each time the lamp has come on.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
No codes thrown at all. Ivechecked each time the lamp has come on.
I added some stuff to my post before I saw your response.

Also, did you check for codes with a code reader? Checking the codes with the ignition key dance won't bring up all recorded codes.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
daspes
Rock God

Member # 5755
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I added some stuff to my post before I saw your response.

Also, did you check for codes with a code reader? Checking the codes with the ignition key dance won't bring up all recorded codes.

Codes were checked with a Aeroforce II gauge. The gauge also is showing my battery voltage at a steady 13.2 to 13.4.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
Codes were checked with a Aeroforce II gauge. The gauge also is showing my battery voltage at a steady 13.2 to 13.4.
Sounds like a trip to the dealer may be your best bet.

Before you go, there are some things you can look at.

From the factory service manual:

To perform a complete test of the charging system, refer to a diagnostic scan tool. Perform the following inspections before attaching the scan tool.

1. Inspect the battery condition. Refer to 8, Battery for procedures.
2. Inspect condition of battery cable terminals, battery posts, connections at engine block, starter solenoid and relay. They should be clean and tight. Repair as required.
3. Inspect all fuses in both the fuseblock and Power Distribution Center (PDC) for tightness in receptacles. They should be properly installed and tight. Repair or replace as required.
4. Inspect generator mounting bolts for tightness. Replace or tighten bolts if required. Refer to the Generator Removal/Installation section of this group for torque specifications.
5. Inspect generator drive belt condition and tension. Tighten or replace belt as required. Refer to Belt Tension Specifications in 7, Cooling System.
6. Inspect automatic belt tensioner (if equipped). Refer to 7, Cooling System for information.
7. Inspect generator electrical connections at generator field, battery output, and ground terminal (if equipped). Also check generator ground wire connection at engine (if equipped). They should all be clean and tight. Repair as required.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
daspes
Rock God

Member # 5755
Dropped the JK off at the dealer this morning and picked her up at lunch. Ser ice writer said the negative battery cable was loose and that was the issue. That threw me for a loop cause I knew I tightened it good last night.

So pullout of the parking lot and Ding, on comes the light. Back to the dealership it went. After work picked up again, and the service writer says they couldn't reproduce the light and everything looks fine.

Start the jeep in the parking lot and there's the F'n light! Showed the service writer and his response was "dunno, tech said all everything checked out.".

Guess I'll try another dealership if the jeep doesn't burn to the ground before I can get it in.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Badd Andy
Granite Guru

Member # 4349
this happened to me on my old Ranger (I know its not a Jeep, but may be related), and turned out the voltage regulator was shot, I also noticed that the light came on under heavy acceleration

the dealership replaced the whole alternator and problem solved
Black 07 Rubicon 4dr, about 90% blacked out, safari straps, Falken 35's and 17" Strike 5 rims, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
Badd Andy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
daspes
Rock God

Member # 5755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd Andy View Post
this happened to me on my old Ranger (I know its not a Jeep, but may be related), and turned out the voltage regulator was shot, I also noticed that the light came on under heavy acceleration

the dealership replaced the whole alternator and problem solved
I specifically asked them to triple check the voltage regulator on the second visit. The alternator was been replaced two days after the battery (which was replaced again this morning). So don't know, still no codes either.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
daspes
Rock God

Member # 5755
Update...

This morning no light.
At lunch, no light.
Trip home from work... Light. And a code!

P0622 generator field terminal circuit.

Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
P0622-GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL CIRCUIT

Set Condition:
When the PCM tries to regulate the generator field with no result during monitoring. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes

(K125) GEN FIELD CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

(K125) GEN FIELD CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN

(K125) GEN FIELD CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

GENERATOR

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
daspes
Rock God

Member # 5755
Update...

PCM was the cause, covered under the emissions warranty. Unfortunately the part is a week or two out...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
slacktide
Granite Guru

Member # 7583
I hate electricity except it keeps my beer cold
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.