Clunking Sound Front End Steering - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Stock JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
surfblue

Member # 10863
Cool Clunking Sound Front End Steering

Just took my 2dr 09 Wrangler in to check out clunking sound when steering. Dealer replaced steering dampener but issue remains. Only starts to happen after driving over 10 minutes and mostly occurs when turning wheel only slightly. Suggestions or anyone else with similar problem. Vehicle came with stock 32inch tires and "upgraded suspension". Had 4dr 2008 but never had this issue.
surfblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Racer83l
Rock God

Member # 5393
lift it.. then you will have all new sounds to figure out.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
BADGER
JKO Addict!

Member # 3621
Check the steering sector shaft bushing where it enters the firewall/dash. Bushing probably rode its way down the shaft and you'll have a bunch of play. Pound it back in, hose clamp it, never have to deal with it again.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post
lift it.. then you will have all new sounds to figure out.
^ not helpful at all..... but funny shit because its true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
Check the steering sector shaft bushing where it enters the firewall/dash. Bushing probably rode its way down the shaft and you'll have a bunch of play. Pound it back in, hose clamp it, never have to deal with it again.
That's a good thing to check. I wouldn't expect you to have worn out ball joints but get under it and tug on things to see if you have excessive play.
08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
My RK Long Arm Coilover Build Pics
Rock Krawler Suspensions

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 08-17-2010 at 09:26 PM.
TEXASKEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Blackbeard
Granite Guru

Member # 5608
Have them check your Steering Box and Intermediate Steering Shaft. I had my IS-Shaft replaced earlier this year. No more clunks!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

'09 Yellow Wrangler X JK - "Scooter"

-Sony CDX-GT540UI Head Unit
-Alpine SPR-17C Coaxial 6.5" Speakers
-Alpine SPR-17S Component 6.5" Speakers With Tweeters & Crossovers
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 400W 4-Ch Amp
-Factory Half-Doors & Full-Doors
-Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Tires
-Black Rock Viper 900 Tungsten 17" Wheels
-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves!"
Blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
MoridinTX
Granite Guru

Member # 8557
I had the same problem with the clunk. After the vehicle got hot I could feel a tapping/clunk in the pedals and the steering wheel.

One band-aid fix you can do yourself for around $5(grease and clamps) is to:

Take the clamps off of the rubber boot on the steering sector shaft.

Then slide the boot down to expose the splines where you will find little to no factory grease.

Use a high tac / high temp grease, like Permatex (01020) 5th Wheel Grease and work that into the splines.

Slide the boot back up, and put the clamp on the lower end.

Fill the boot as full as you can with the grease ( I used a seasoning injector for cooking for this, I took apart the injector and filled it with the grease from the packet, then used it with the needle to inject as much grease as I could) and put the top clamp on.

After tightening both clamps, I squeezed the boot to work more grease into the splines.

After I did this I rarely notice the clunk if at all.
MoridinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
mechanicalmongoose20
Wheeler

Member # 11108
I think ive got the same issue with my 08, i noticed it yesterday.I can feel it in the pedal and its only if im going around a slight turn then turn the wheel the other direction. You guys think the Inter. steering shaft is something that would be covered from the dealer? Considering its 5 days old.
mechanicalmongoose20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
schnauzer
Granite Guru

Member # 4247
Remove the intermediate shaft rubber boot, you will have to break the oem clamps and buy new ones, the size you will need is between 3/4 and 1 1/4. Pack the boot with a very good grease like green grease. And seal it up, quiet as a mouse afterwards.
schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
sneakbomber
Granite Guru

Member # 11184
Before you go tearing into it yourself(as we all like to do) and void warranty... Mine was that the splines on the IS shaft were shredded from lack of factory grease. I had the dealer take a look and it was covered under the 3/36 warranty.

I've also had to have them shove the bushing back up into the firewall once.

I asked the dealer if I'd have removed the boot myself, would y'all have grumbled about honoring warranty? His reply was basically no, but Chrysler would have. Key to getting this fixed is evidently just to wait until it's really bad / destroyed, then take it in for the freebie. Unless yours replicates a lot easier than mine... Mine started out very intermittent and got very bad after a few years. And yes, I tried to have it fixed before it got that bad... but when the dealership mechanic is a 18yr old who thinks "Jeeps are supposed to ride rough and have rattles" it didn't work so well. He actually said that. And I switched mechanics/dealerships to a more helpful one with mechanics that know how a jeep should ride.

Last edited by sneakbomber; 09-04-2010 at 08:31 PM.
sneakbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Jeepmanunlimited
Wheeler

Member # 11282
Could be your tie rod and drag link. Any time i go over a nice size bump i get a rattle or metal clanking sound from both the tie rod and drag link. Cant wait to replace them with the currie HD's.
08 Sahara Unlimited: ARB bumpers, Old Man Emu HD, IPF H4 & 968's, AEV Snorkel, pintlers, & procal, MBRP exhaust, RockHard/ORO plate relocation, Safari warrior straps, Sprint booster, superchips, KM2's, Rigid 6", Drake hold downs, Bilstein SS, Rotopax and the list will go on...
Jeepmanunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
lobe50
Wheeler

Member # 11284
Wow, I was just going thru search results for the clunk I feel in the frontend and actually the gas pedal and found this.

I feel Soooo much better seeing others have had the same issue, and I am not the picky crazy guy...lmao

Now I have to decide whether to just grease it w/ the needle adaptor or try to get the dealer to put a new Intermediate Shaft in it. I don't feel any play in it all when I reach down and pull on it.

I just bought this 2009 JK 2 Door from the dealer, so I am the second owner.
They had told me I am covered under the 3/36K warranty but the 5yr/100K was not transferable to the 2nd owner. My issue is that my mileage is closely appraoching the 36K (35,555).

Don't know if they will go for the replacement warranty shaft????

Any input as far as trying to deal with them vs just greasing under the boot??
Thanx

ALSO< BTW Here is a link to another write-up concerning this, just in case anyone else is reseaching this issue
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1682
lobe50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobe50 View Post

Don't know if they will go for the replacement warranty shaft????

Any input as far as trying to deal with them vs just greasing under the boot??
Thanx

being close to the 3 yr/ 36000 miles, shouldn't be an issue.

They will likely want to do the cheapest and quickest solution possible. That would be the grease, but it's super easy....so if they (for whatever reason) decide that this wouldn't be warrantied, then imo- do it yourself. I doubt that they will opt to replace the intermediate shaft- jmo.

With most dealerships, i would personally rather do it myself than to trust them anyway.

In terms of dealing with them on the customer vs dealership level.....it normally pays to be firm but not arrogant. Emphasize things like the warranty, safety concerns, etc. Being civil with them can go a long way. Once a customer becomes rude, then they will want to wipe their hands entirely.

BTW- How do you know that this is what is indeed causing the clunk/ issue?

Have you looked on the engine bay side of the firewall to see if the bushing has come loose?
Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
lobe50
Wheeler

Member # 11284
Thank You.

I did look over the underneath, as well as the bushing at the firewall.
Everything looks tight, clean, and shiny...lol

So maybe I should just get grease into the boot myself tomorrow, and avoid the dealer if that is all they are most likely going to do???

Like I said the shaft doesn't move when pulled on, so they might bitch about replacing it w/ no visible wear.........
lobe50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
They likely will have reservations about replacing the shaft. They will def want to try grease first. I simply don't trust most dealerships in the least....even the ones that are willing. Seems that so many times you take a vehicle in for service, and wind up with your Jeep covered in grease inside and out, the problem unresolved, or a new problem in it's place. Certainly not all of them- but many.

I would do it myself. Some HD black marine grade grease, and a needle fitting- done. If you find that the boot/ bushing/ shaft is not the issue, then please post up. Could be something else entirely. Good luck.
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
MOTO X JK
Granite Guru

Member # 3457
greased mine last week...all good!!
2009 SUNBURST ORANGE JK 4 DOOR SOFT TOP. 4" PRO COMP LIFT W/ 35" X 12.50" PROCOMP EXTREME ALL TERRAINS ON 18" ULTRA ROGUE WHEELS. FABTECH PRE-RUNNER FRONT BUMPER. HID LIGHT KIT AND STILL BUILDING...........

RED DRAGONS!!!

shout out to Ellis Mate

p.s....I took a sh*t in your Moms fish tank
MOTO X JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
sneakbomber
Granite Guru

Member # 11184
Funny thing is that my dealership told me that they've just started checking the splines on the IS right away now...and if they are destroyed, just replace it right off rather than just grease. Said they'd been getting a few of these lately

Definitely steers better after / not near as much play.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
BK Rider

Member # 7231
Moridin,
Your on the money. I had this issue and your advice took care of it.

Guys,
Give it a shot. The dealers usually have no clue.

Good luck.
BK Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
jvandy50
V8 dreams

Member # 11593
i know this thread is old, but i heard some clunking driving home today...but not necessarily turning, maybe more like fighting to keep the jeep straight in the crazy wind we had here today. could any turn of the wheel cause this? or is it usually a full on cornering maneuver?

thanks

almost forgot...i felt this thru the gas pedal more it seemed
2010 Silver JKU

Last edited by jvandy50; 01-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.
jvandy50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
MoridinTX
Granite Guru

Member # 8557
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
i know this thread is old, but i heard some clunking driving home today...but not necessarily turning, maybe more like fighting to keep the jeep straight in the crazy wind we had here today. could any turn of the wheel cause this? or is it usually a full on cornering maneuver?

thanks

almost forgot...i felt this thru the gas pedal more it seemed
Mine would do this whether turning or driving straight, it just depended on how rough the road was.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
jvandy50
V8 dreams

Member # 11593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinTX View Post
Mine would do this whether turning or driving straight, it just depended on how rough the road was.
ok thanks for the quick reply man. i was nervous as hell driving home because last oil change my dealer tech told me to keep an eye on the front driveshaft...not 3 days later do i hear this noise at high speed. but this didn't sound like it could be the problem so i started hunting and found what i think is the problem.

now off to find a needle adapter for my grease gun so i can try this
2010 Silver JKU
Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #21
jvandy50
V8 dreams

Member # 11593
Anything about this look bad to y'all?

And is this second pic the boot y'all are talkin about putting grease in?

Vandy
2010 Silver JKU
Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
Kike
Wheeler

Member # 19130
I dont know nothing of mechanic..but this boot its the part that I need to remove to cover inside with grease?
Kike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
MoridinTX
Granite Guru

Member # 8557
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Anything about this look bad to y'all?

And is this second pic the boot y'all are talkin about putting grease in?

Vandy
@Vandy The everything looks ok in the first pic, the boot in the second pic is where you inject the grease into the splines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike View Post
I dont know nothing of mechanic..but this boot its the part that I need to remove to cover inside with grease?
Yes, but you don't have to remove it. Some people elect to break the factory clamps and slide the boot to make it easy. Others are having success with using a needle injector and just poking a small hole through the boot.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #24
jvandy50
V8 dreams

Member # 11593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinTX View Post
@Vandy The everything looks ok in the first pic, the boot in the second pic is where you inject the grease into the splines.
k thanks, just making 100% sure.
2010 Silver JKU
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #25
vonhef
Wheeler

Member # 11716
I had a clunk in the steering also. Took the steering shaft apart and inspected, but it looked perfect. Went ahead and added greese like others have done... but still had the clunk.

Then determined it was from the steering sector (steering box), so I made a slight adjustment to the bolt with the jamnut on the top of the sector by tightening it about 1/8-1/4 of a turn and you know what?

No more clunk!!!
Bumpers: Rugid Ridge Modular (Front & Rear) with tire carrier.
Armor: Or-Fab electric sway-bar disconnect skid; Riddler differential cover; Skid Row Evap Canister Guard; C-Gussets
Winch: Warn M8000.
Performance: Superchips Programer.
Accessories: Cobra 75 WX ST CB radio & 2' Firestik II antenna; Torqflo 11" x 11" Transmission Cooler
vonhef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.