towing boat with rugged ridge hitch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
jeepRcreepR
Granite Guru

Member # 7996
towing boat with rugged ridge hitch

Anyone pull a 4000 lb boat with the rugged ridge hitch...would I be ok?
07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Future Mods: 2wd-4wd conversion = completed!
jeepRcreepR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
kittisman
Wheeler

Member # 8801
It sounds like your over your tow rating to me.
Deadweight rear seat removed
kittisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
I would look into the Curt tubular hitch. It's rated at 4,000 lb GTW. They aren't that expensive either. Not sure but the Rugged Ridge is probably rated around 3,000-3,500 lbs. Not sure.
Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Rugged_Ridge
Granite Guru

Member # 6727
It's rated to match what your Jeep is rated to pull....3500lbs for the 4door.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
jeepRcreepR
Granite Guru

Member # 7996
I know it is rated at the 3500 lbs, but can it handle 4000 lbs for a short distance? Trying to help a friend out with getting his boat hauled somewhere
07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
TG426
Rock God

Member # 9272
are you towing it up a boat ramp? tow ratings are usually for straight line towing (like a camper or utility trailer) and usually do not take into consideration a slippery ramp. if not pulling it up a ramp, you should be able to get away with it if you go real slow and easy. I know a guy who tows a boat similar to mine (28' 8000lb Chris Craft - see my photo album) on a triple axel trailer with a Ford Crown Vic. which couldnt be rated for more than 4 or 5k lbs. Short distance, goes very slow and doesnt pull it up a ramp.

If one of those Home Depot rental trucks has a hitch/receiver, go rent it for the 19 bucks and save yourself from breaking something on the Jeep.

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/
http://www.rivercityoffroad.com
TG426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
jeepRcreepR
Granite Guru

Member # 7996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG426 View Post
are you towing it up a boat ramp? tow ratings are usually for straight line towing (like a camper or utility trailer) and usually do not take into consideration a slippery ramp. if not pulling it up a ramp, you should be able to get away with it if you go real slow and easy. I know a guy who tows a boat similar to mine (28' 8000lb Chris Craft - see my photo album) on a triple axel trailer with a Ford Crown Vic. which couldnt be rated for more than 4 or 5k lbs. Short distance, goes very slow and doesnt pull it up a ramp.

If one of those Home Depot rental trucks has a hitch/receiver, go rent it for the 19 bucks and save yourself from breaking something on the Jeep.
I don't know what kind of tow it will be but I just found out its only 150 yards and I'm only going to do it once. Probably up a ramp and back down to a different part of the bay. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
leman
JKO Addict!

Member # 7573
go for it. ive pulled my buddies malibu that weighs 3900# without trailer or gear. pulled it through town to a different boat launch. took it out of the water and put it in. just took it nice and easy and put it in 4lo on the ramp
Old 08-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
*FLPirate*
Wheeler

Member # 7595
You should be fine for that short of a distance. Just take it easy and don't hit your breaks to hard or your back end will start dancing around. Also, use 4lo when pulling out of the ramp. I have no problem towing my action craft that is about 2800# loaded with fishing gear and fuel and I a 2dr rubi.
*FLPirate* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
jeepRcreepR
Granite Guru

Member # 7996
Had to put the boat in the water and take it out. The Jeep handled very well. The boat is 4500lbs. Over all an awesome day to have the top off the Jeep and get out on the water.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
Rugged_Ridge
Granite Guru

Member # 6727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepRcreepR View Post
Had to put the boat in the water and take it out. The Jeep handled very well. The boat is 4500lbs. Over all an awesome day to have the top off the Jeep and get out on the water.

Sorry... I did not know how far or how often you were planning to tow a 4500lbs boat. More worried about the JK than the hitch. For short pulls the hitch will have no issues. You should understand that in the world we live in we cannot legally give approvals that are more than the tow rate of the vehicle.

This goes for most manufactures these days... Don't flame us, it's all about not taking responsibility for your own actions these days.. It's someone else’s fault.... I was not warned enough to know better...

OK I'm off my soap box now....
Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
jeepRcreepR
Granite Guru

Member # 7996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge View Post
Sorry... I did not know how far or how often you were planning to tow a 4500lbs boat. More worried about the JK than the hitch. For short pulls the hitch will have no issues. You should understand that in the world we live in we cannot legally give approvals that are more than the tow rate of the vehicle.

This goes for most manufactures these days... Don't flame us, it's all about not taking responsibility for your own actions these days.. It's someone else’s fault.... I was not warned enough to know better...

OK I'm off my soap box now....
The reason I decided to do it was because you told me not too.

I love the hitch and wiring harness. It is a great product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.