Converting a 2wd to 4wd - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Electrical & Lighting Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
jtrain
JKowners Vendor

Member # 8656
Garage
Converting a 2wd to 4wd

Currrently we have a 2wd JK we have swapped over to 4wd. We swapped in a JK d30/44 from a Sahara as well as the 6spd transmission and t/c. We have just the pigtail and connector hooked up to the position switch on the transfer case. My question for anyone that has done this is: Can we run these 2 wires to the TIPM and run them into the C1 connector pins 3 and 28? These are the reference and signal return for the switch. It appears that the switch is a variable resistance switch and that it sends a certain voltage back to the TIPM to signal 4wd low. We'd like the 4wd light on the dash to illuminate as well as ESP to bypass when in 4low. I haven't pulled the TIPM out yet to see if there is just a jumper wire or something in those positions. If these wires can be plugged in up there, do you have the terminal part numbers? Will plugging these 2 wires up allow it to just start working, or will there be calibration changes to any modules as well? Thanks for your time and help.
jtrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
sickchilly
Granite Guru

Member # 1420
Haven't done this myself, but from what I have done (accessory wise that requires computer interaction), you should be able to wire it up as stock. Either get the proper harness or wire it as the harness would. You can tap into the CANbus wiring, just piggy back onto it in parallel.

Then, to get all the tell-tales to work correctly, you'll probably have to get the Jeep Starscanned to add the appropriate 4WD feature code(s).
Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
jtrain
JKowners Vendor

Member # 8656
Garage
I did get this completed last week and found that the 2 circuits exist for the transfer case position switch. However, they stop at the C100 connector which is located at the rear driver side of the engine. I went back to the donor vehicle and backed out the 2 pins from that connector as well as the wires and connector at the transfer case. Everything is now connected and the transfer case and axles work well. I will need to go to the dealer to get them to enable the 4WD option so that the lamp will illuminate on the dash and ESP will automatically bypass when shifted to 4LOW. Thanks for the heads up on the programming issue.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
jtrain
JKowners Vendor

Member # 8656
Garage
Ok, I took this to the dealer and they are telling me that i will need a new instrument panel cluster for the light to work. Is this correct? Can anyone shed some advice? It's not my Jeep, for I wouldn't worry with the dash 4WD light not coming on.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
tkob1060
JKO Addict!

Member # 5021
as much as I would like to say it sounds like B.S. specially since they added the hot oil light to the 07-08's for the trans over heating issue.

there are 10 different part numbers for the cluster in the 2008 parts diagram pdf

you can download it here
http://d.scribd.com/docs/2k4ee67ul95m7ob8twn7.pdf

She still needs your help in 2011 click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
jtrain
JKowners Vendor

Member # 8656
Garage
Thanks for the link, it has been a huge help in other areas as well the past few days. Any way that you might know how to narrow the options down to the correct cluster? I think the customer may end up purchasing this if I knew exactly what to get so that it would work.

His current setup is an Unlimited X, 3.8L, 6spd, 4x4. Only difference from the factory options is that it is now a 4wd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.