CB Antenna Ground Wire - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Electrical & Lighting Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
*Seth*
Granite Guru

Member # 8005
CB Antenna Ground Wire

What size wire should I use to ground the CB antenna bracket to the vehicle? I am going to mount the antenna on the rear tire carrier and need to run a wire from the bracket to the tub. Any particular place I should mount it to on the tub?
*Seth* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
rjmcam
Granite Guru

Member # 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seth* View Post
What size wire should I use to ground the CB antenna bracket to the vehicle? I am going to mount the antenna on the rear tire carrier and need to run a wire from the bracket to the tub. Any particular place I should mount it to on the tub?
Run a 12 ga wire for the ground

Jeep is gone
rjmcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
*Seth*
Granite Guru

Member # 8005
CB Antenna Ground Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmcam

Run a 12 ga wire for the ground
Thanks. Any suggestions on where to attach it?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
JKOwens
Wheeler

Member # 8131
You shouldn't run the ground from the mount to the tub. What kind of mount did you by? If its painted grind some of the paint or powder coating off where the cable connector attaches to the mount and where the bolt goes into the tailgate. Only sand the mount. You want to make sure you have good conductivity. This causes the mount to ground to the tailgate. Then you want to ground the tailgate to the main vehicle.

You really want to use braided grounding strap(the best) or at least 10 guage wire. You should only need to run the ground from the tailgate to the tub in the jeep since you sanded the mount in those locations mentioned. I sanded some paint off my tailgate under the horizontal plastic cover, screwed the ground down, ran the wire to the tub and sanded some paint under the carpet and screwed it down. Put battery terminal grease, di-electric grease, on each of the ground ends to prevent corrosion. This is the correct way and the best way for optimal transmission.
Owens
Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
*Seth*
Granite Guru

Member # 8005
CB Antenna Ground Wire

I haven't purchased a mount yet. I am trying to buy a used Teraflex mount that has already been scraped. If that falls through I will get a stainless steel L bracket.

Why can't you ground the bracket? I have seen several rigs set up like this.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
fireslayer
Wheeler

Member # 19253
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKOwens View Post
You shouldn't run the ground from the mount to the tub. What kind of mount did you by? If its painted grind some of the paint or powder coating off where the cable connector attaches to the mount and where the bolt goes into the tailgate. Only sand the mount. You want to make sure you have good conductivity. This causes the mount to ground to the tailgate. Then you want to ground the tailgate to the main vehicle.
This is the correct way and the best way for optimal transmission.
Owens
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi
I am having a HUGE ground problem so when googling this issue I ran into your post. I have one question. Why is that the best way?

I was trying to over-do the ground, so I took my TeraFlex tailgate mount and scraped the powder coating off at the coax connection, and where I drilled a hole for my ground wire. I used 12 ga wire and ran it through the plug and under the horizontal plastic, along the black strap and behind the plastic at the back. I attached it to one of the bolts. It was good, but not great. I ended up drilling a hole, sanding it and screwing the wire to the tub. It was good, but not great.
SOoooo. I ran a jumper from the tie down bold on the floor of the JK to the screw that I put in the tub. I am now getting .1 to 0 but I still can't get a good swr.

You say to ground the tailgate,,, isn't what I did overkill? and wouldn't it be even better? I'm going crazy trying to get this nailed down.

To make matters worse, it appears that the multimeter reading goes from .1 to 10.0 when I power up the CB.
Why in the world would it do that?
fireslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Gotlime?
JKO Addict!

Member # 16884
I grounded my mount directly to the tub and it works fine.

Ground wire on the antenna mount:

It goes through the wexterior opening in the tailgate, througfh the tailgate and out on the inner, passenger side of the tailgate. From there I grounded it to the tub behind the passenger, rear tire:
Gotlime? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
stanman
Granite Guru

Member # 23417
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seth* View Post
... I will get a stainless steel L bracket.

Why can't you ground the bracket? I have seen several rigs set up like this.
No one should ever be using Stainless Steel for mounting something that requires grounding. Stainless steel has a much lower coefficient of conductivity and significantly higher coefficient of resistance than aluminum.

So if you do use stainless, you'll want to run additional grounding and make sure the ground is in direct contact with the antenna mounting base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.