JK axle U-joints - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
SGT. K
Wheeler

Member # 9159
JK axle U-joints

My 08 jk U-joints take a crap every time I use the 4 wheel drive. I have the unlimited 4 door. I have broken both u-joints in the front axle. Is anyone else having this problem?
SGT. K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
4x4x4
JKO Addict!

Member # 6912
Garage
I know there were some having problems with the retainers on the joints allowing them to come apart. One of the things I did to keep the caps in place was to give each one a small spot weld. I don't know if this has helped but I haven't had any issues and I have wheeled it pretty hard. This is a pic of what I did:

I also put in EVO C gussets in this picture.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 05-08-2010 at 05:35 PM.
4x4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT. K View Post
My 08 jk U-joints take a crap every time I use the 4 wheel drive. I have the unlimited 4 door. I have broken both u-joints in the front axle. Is anyone else having this problem?
When you say "broken"....you mean they have actually broken or that the caps have come out?

As stated- you can tack-weld the caps to insure that they don't "wander off". If you have lost u-joint caps and not yet broken the ears on the outer stub shaft, then consider yourself lucky.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
jvalason
Granite Guru

Member # 3263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT. K View Post
How are hard are you wheeling? I have 35s on a D30 and havent broken one yet (knock on wood)
jvalason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
SGT. K
Wheeler

Member # 9159
Jk U- Joints

My Jk Is running on 32's. I don't wheel it real hard. I broke the right front at BVORR it apperead the retaining clip failed. I was at the beach yesterday when I broke the left front in powdery sand. I was not wheeling hard at all. The U-joint actually snapped. Can anyone recommend a replacement u-joint that is not $200 or more? Also when this u-joint snapped it caused the left front axle seal to start leaking, is this common. I've never had a axle seal leak from a u-joint snapping.
SGT. K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
rabidranger
Granite Guru

Member # 1152
You don't say whether or not you have a rubi, but if you DO NOT you can use the spicer 5-760x joint. Should only be about $25. Don't know how they compare to the stock ones though.

If you have a rubicon you are hosed. The ONLY things out there are the stockers from the stealership, CTM's (~$275) or the CV thingies (can't think of who makes em, but they are $$$$).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.