Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints and RCV Axle Shafts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
gt3073b
Granite Guru

Member # 107
Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints and RCV Axle Shafts?

Do the Dynatrac ProSteer joints interfere with the RCV axle shafts? It appears that the orange boot is bigger than the ears on the factory axle shafts since it doesn't fit through the knuckle. The ProSteer joints are grease-able, which means there is a grease fitting somewhere on the lower joint that would be inside the inner C.

I'd hate to spend the $$$ on ProSteer joints and lock myself out of getting the RCV shafts later on.

Thanks,
Bryan.
To Do Co4Lo suggested Grade Eleventy bolts for my new bumper flag mounting bracket
gt3073b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
muddpuppy01
Rock God

Member # 5483
Not if the grease fittings are on the non threaded side of the joint like normal greasable joints
muddpuppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
gt3073b
Granite Guru

Member # 107
The non-threaded (cup) portion of the lower ball joint is right below the axle. That is where my concern is.

To Do Co4Lo suggested Grade Eleventy bolts for my new bumper flag mounting bracket
Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
usmcdoc14
Fistfull of Boomstick

Member # 206
I will let you know as soon as I do the install. hopefully this week.

usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
seer
Rock God

Member # 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
I will let you know as soon as I do the install. hopefully this week.
D'your ball joints show up already?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
usmcdoc14
Fistfull of Boomstick

Member # 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
D'your ball joints show up already?
I don't know I am not at home and my wife has no clue what is the diffrent metal things in boxes that have come in.

and I need to buy a new ball joint press.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
andrelopez99
JKO Addict!

Member # 5329
Quote:
I don't know I am not at home and my wife has no clue what is the diffrent metal things in boxes that have come in.

May I asked when you ordered your ball joints, cause it's been more than six weeks...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
seer
Rock God

Member # 822
Quote:

Dammit!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
gt3073b
Granite Guru

Member # 107
Thanks! I'm holding off on putting my new tires on until I get new ball joints in. The local shop said they couldn't get a good read on the alignment because the ball joints were too sloppy. I got 110,000 miles out of the first set of tires and ball joints, but I have some weird wear patterns that probably mean the joints have been getting loose for some time.

Thanks again,
Bryan.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
s10x1000
Granite Guru

Member # 3671
110,000's a hell of a good run
Old 03-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
Dynatrac
Rock God

Member # 7964
We're still trying to confirm that we have clearance for the ProSteer Joint and the RCV shafts. We THINK it's OK but we're waiting on info from RCV.

We've received a partial shipment of our ProSteer ball joints and will be shipping product late this week.
Dynatrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
chromedome
Rock God

Member # 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
We're still trying to confirm that we have clearance for the ProSteer Joint and the RCV shafts. We THINK it's OK but we're waiting on info from RCV.

We've received a partial shipment of our ProSteer ball joints and will be shipping product late this week.
I've got RCV's on my '08 Rubicon 4dr. I'd be happy to bring it by for a test fit.
I'm in Tustin. Let's make a deal! PM me!
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
Dynatrac
Rock God

Member # 7964
We appreciate your offer but we should be good.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
gt3073b
Granite Guru

Member # 107
Quote:

I will order a set as soon as you get it confirmed.

Bryan.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Dynatrac
Rock God

Member # 7964
We've got an axle coming in from RCV to allow us the check clearances. The RCV axle has larger diameter at the ball joint than a standard Rubi u-joint. The drawings we received didn't provide enough information to confirm clearance. We should have the info we need Monday or Tuesday.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
usmcdoc14
Fistfull of Boomstick

Member # 206
same goes with the write-up as mine are on hold untill the fitment is confirmed

Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
maverick
JKO Addict!

Member # 669
Quote:

Quote:
We've got an axle coming in from RCV to allow us the check clearances. The RCV axle has larger diameter at the ball joint than a standard Rubi u-joint. The drawings we received didn't provide enough information to confirm clearance. We should have the info we need Monday or Tuesday.
Scott (DIAMOND OFFROAD) is installing sleeves, gussets, truss, PSC assist, RCVs, and ProSteer Balljoints (as soon as he receives them). You may want to get on the phone with him.
Bart

http://www.cowboyway.com/Music/Clips/I'llAccomadate.wav
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #18
TheMike
Wheeler

Member # 5472
I run the RCV's and are having my Prosteer's next day aired to me by Dave at Northridge so that I can put them in Wed. According to him I found out that the Prosteer's are 3/32 taller. I put 3/32 worth of feeler gauges on top of my stock bottom joint and there's VERY little room left. There is clearance and light can get through but it's close.

A couple of thoughts: How close is too close? If they do end up rubbing (dirt/flex whatever), will the boot sort of self trim? It would appear that a little less boot would be ok but then again.....

I know that Dynatrac will know soon enough (what's the quickest way to find out the result?). Just thought I would throw my input out there.
Black 2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited: 6.1 BOR Hemi, AEV: bumpers, Pinters, 4.5" lift. 5:13's, New Kevlar 37" MT/R, Chromo Rear Shafts, Front: RCV Shafts, gussetted, sleeved etc etc etc (should have just bought a prorock!), all RED badged

2007 Adventure Trailer, Chaser#71
TheMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #19
chromedome
Rock God

Member # 762
The quickest way would have been for Dynatrac to accept my offer and let me drive over there (ten minutes away) and test fit them earlier this week. You'd know for sure right now! But sadly they declined.
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
maverick
JKO Addict!

Member # 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMike View Post
I run the RCV's and are having my Prosteer's next day aired to me by Dave at Northridge so that I can put them in Wed. According to him I found out that the Prosteer's are 3/32 taller. I put 3/32 worth of feeler gauges on top of my stock bottom joint and there's VERY little room left. There is clearance and light can get through but it's close.

A couple of thoughts: How close is too close? If they do end up rubbing (dirt/flex whatever), will the boot sort of self trim? It would appear that a little less boot would be ok but then again.....

I know that Dynatrac will know soon enough (what's the quickest way to find out the result?). Just thought I would throw my input out there.
3/32 taller?? Looking at the pic... it that overall length... i.e. that includes the grease zert? If so, can't it be swapped out with a low-profile zert similar to what is used on CTM u-joints?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #21
Dynatrac
Rock God

Member # 7964
The pictures on our site show Dodge and Ford ProSteer joints. The JK joint has the zerk on the side so it won't cause an issue.

We have an axle assembly in-house with ProSteers that is being prepped for our rig that will be heading to Easter Safari. Our test axle will be checked in that housing ASAP.

I'll post results up here immediately.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #22
TheMike
Wheeler

Member # 5472
Awesome. I eagerly look forward to your report. Thanks for the speedy response as it's a bit time critical at this point.
Black 2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited: 6.1 BOR Hemi, AEV: bumpers, Pinters, 4.5" lift. 5:13's, New Kevlar 37" MT/R, Chromo Rear Shafts, Front: RCV Shafts, gussetted, sleeved etc etc etc (should have just bought a prorock!), all RED badged

2007 Adventure Trailer, Chaser#71
TheMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
maverick
JKO Addict!

Member # 669
Quote:
The pictures on our site show Dodge and Ford ProSteer joints. The JK joint has the zerk on the side so it won't cause an issue.

We have an axle assembly in-house with ProSteers that is being prepped for our rig that will be heading to Easter Safari. Our test axle will be checked in that housing ASAP.

I'll post results up here immediately.
Thanks! See you at EJS!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
Dynatrac
Rock God

Member # 7964
The verdict is in and it's......maybe

The test unit we measured would not touch the ball joint but it was incredibly close. We can see that with the tolerences that are allowed with the various components that it is possible that some will contact with the ball joint. Since the ball joint end is relatively smooth and the boot is fairly thick, I would guess that the boot would self clearance. Certainly not ideal but not terrible either.

Gil will be installing a set of these on his JK very soon and should be able to provide you with 'real world' feedback and his opinion on the clearance.

I'm sorry I couldn't provide a more definitive answer.

Scott
Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
Alaska-HWY JK
Rock God

Member # 260
Clearance.

Thanks for the info.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.