Aeroforce Interceptor gauge Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Write Up Dept. (The Library)

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
Aeroforce Interceptor gauge Install

Let me start of by saying this is a sweet setup. The install was very simple (So easy a caveman could do it.) The functions and features of the gauge are phenomenal.

I kind of cheated because i already have been running Autometer Transmission TEMP gauge fo a while. So the mounting spot was already choosen plus it was close to the OBD2 port.

In the box you will find the actual gauge and the OBD2 Data Cable.

I went ahead and printed a color copy of the instructions from Aeroforces web site.

I choose not to use a pod and use a preexisting mounting spot i drilled with a holesaw. (you can see the Auto meter gauge I will be replacing)

I chose the route my cable under the steering column so I did not have to remove my Rockhard Sport cage.

Actually wiring the gauge into the Jeep is as simple as plugging in the smaller end of the data cable to the plug.

The whole i drilled was a snug fit so I was able to just press the gauge in with little resistance.

Last edited by Dr.Dirty; 01-06-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569

It comes with a 9' data cable so I decided to neetly wind the excess up and ziptie it out of the way

Make sure you leave your self enough slack if you need to unplug it from the OBD2 port

Then just reinstall you trim panels and plug it in to the port and it will fire up and now its ready for the user programming.

here is a quick video of the booting sequence .

YouTube - 101_0967.mov
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
I am still highlighting wich functions i wish to turn on and what parameters im going to set the alarms at.

I am no rocket scientist so I will definitely be updating this thread on how easy the gauge is to operate.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
afoulk
Rock God

Member # 1555
I'm very happy with mine as well. Only problem i've had with mine is every once in awhile I get a single ding, kinda like the trans temp. alarm, but I can just make out a yellow light in my gauge cluster coming on for a split second when it does this and then going out right away. Judging by the location of it in my owners manual, its one of the locker lights. Funny thing is, I don't have lockers (X model). There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it either, it just randomly happens. I asked about this on their forum and they said to play around with the update rate. This seemed to make it occur less frequently, but it still happens every once in awhile. Nothing bad about it, it just seemed weird. I wondered if you ever experience the same thing, but I don't know if you would since yours is a Rubicon with the factory lockers.
SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
afoulk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
SFCCotton
Rock God

Member # 5135
Looks good! Great write-up as usual!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
This gauge is capable of doing damn near everything the AEV procal does so for 150$ more you get complete engine readouts and a gauge you can monitor

The gauge displays trans temp, and can completely disable the ESP system, program new tire size into the PCM, same for axle ratio, set a new pressure for the TPMS (allowing you to lower the tire pressure without setting off the alarm, and changing the idle speed )good for when using a winch or other device that results in a large engine load at idle.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
BIGCAT
Granite Guru

Member # 3127
like everything excpet the mounting location? I guess if you were standing outside the jeep looking at the gauge it might be in a good spot? But when driving and trying to look down that low....no likey.

I saw another guy hear local that has the same gauge, but mounted up on the pillar where it would be easier to access or view. I remember when he was showing me all it could do it took a while to cycle through all the read outs....lots of items.

Great write up, just don't like the mounting location.....

no offense.
BIGCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
thebigtman
Rock God

Member # 2606
I like those gauges, very cool.

I wish we had a dash pod that would replace the dash piece above the radio. That would be a great place to mount that gauge.
thebigtman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
BIGCAT
Granite Guru

Member # 3127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtman View Post
I like those gauges, very cool.

I wish we had a dash pod that would replace the dash piece above the radio. That would be a great place to mount that gauge.
they make one for 3 guages, but this is just one simple do it all guage, which might look kind of lonely in the center over the stereo? Could mount anywere on the top edge along trim or side pillar?

I am sure dr dirty has a good reason for putting it where he did, just not first choice for location IMHO.
BIGCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
The monting locatin was used for the tranny gauge i have been running and it was more of a quick glace to monitor than to stare at the gauge.

The location actually works great and its very visible i dont stare at the gauge the whole time im driving and the Aeroforce has alarms to make you aware of problems so im cool with that
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
hidX
Rock God

Member # 4336
These things are phenomenal tools. I've been eye-balling one for months, but havent been able to justify pulling the trigger. Had I known about the gears and tire size reconfiguration, I would have bought one of these a while back when I got my Procal! Doh. Thanks for posting it up Doc. I look forward to your updates on what of the MANY features you use, and how...

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
hidX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
Todd from Aeroforce is working ahrd at getting the Jeep guage to do what we want so any features youd like to see let me know and i can forward them to him. He is willing to incorporate the feature to turn of the sway bar light for those of us that have removed the rubicon sway bar.

The Jeep specific functions he has added are :

axle ratio
tire size
esp disable
tire presure monitoring threshold
increased idle to be used while winching or using a onboard welder
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
paramaniac
JKO Addict!

Member # 5392
In case I missed it, where did you get this from and how much?
paramaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
In case I missed it, where did you get this from and how much?
you can get them for $249 http://www.aeroforcetech.com/
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
thebigtman
Rock God

Member # 2606
DD,

I emailed them a while ago about compatibility with hemi swaps but they didn't know. I would buy one but didn't want to take a chance. Do you know if anything has changed? I don't see why it wouldn't work but ya never know.

T
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #16
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtman View Post
DD,

I emailed them a while ago about compatibility with hemi swaps but they didn't know. I would buy one but didn't want to take a chance. Do you know if anything has changed? I don't see why it wouldn't work but ya never know.

T
I am 99% sure it will work with the AEV HEMI swap as long as your using AEV's PCM

Ill let know you know what i find out
Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
thebigtman
Rock God

Member # 2606
Cool, thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #18
JeepinJon
Rock God

Member # 6543
I wished they would make a 1.5" once that would fit where my air gauge is on my sPod.

08 Rubicon
JeepinJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #19
Moose512
JKO Addict!

Member # 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Todd from Aeroforce is working ahrd at getting the Jeep guage to do what we want so any features youd like to see let me know and i can forward them to him. He is willing to incorporate the feature to turn of the sway bar light for those of us that have removed the rubicon sway bar.

axle ratio
tire size
esp disable
Thank you for the write-up Dirty. I have also been eyeing this for some time and as soon as I get my cage install nailed down and complete I will get this. Will probably have to mount mine on the down tube of the cage or around the tweeter location of the dash.

Can you see yours when driving? I have my dual battery controls where you mounted it and can't see the LED unless I lean left.
Moose512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Thank you for the write-up Dirty. I have also been eyeing this for some time and as soon as I get my cage install nailed down and complete I will get this. Will probably have to mount mine on the down tube of the cage or around the tweeter location of the dash.

Can you see yours when driving? I have my dual battery controls where you mounted it and can't see the LED unless I lean left.
I can see it fine while driving (even better at night) I have had the auto meter gauge there for a while so im used to it

I am looking at relocating it in my 12 voly guy panel where the power outlet is

Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
tkob1060
JKO Addict!

Member # 5021
Quote:

axle ratio
tire size
esp disable
damn I didnt know it could do all that, I've had mine for about 7months. Did they add these features since then do you know? Would be great if I could shut off my swaybar light with it and the esp.

I definitely like your mounting location. I have mine in the A pillar pod and it sometimes drives me nuts looking at it all the time.

She still needs your help in 2011 click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #22
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
damn I didnt know it could do all that, I've had mine for about 7months. Did they add these features since then do you know? Would be great if I could shut off my swaybar light with it and the esp.

I definitely like your mounting location. I have mine in the A pillar pod and it sometimes drives me nuts looking at it all the time.
Yes they are fairly new features. If you have a never version of the gauges they will reflash it with the new firmware for 26 bucks
Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
tkob1060
JKO Addict!

Member # 5021
Quote:
Yes they are fairly new features. If you have a never version of the gauges they will reflash it with the new firmware for 26 bucks
damn thats a good deal, let us know if they add the swaybar shut off, I'd definitely send it in then. Thanks

She still needs your help in 2011 click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #24
SDMF
Openly Hostile

Member # 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
damn thats a good deal, let us know if they add the swaybar shut off, I'd definitely send it in then. Thanks
Yeah, once that is done my procal is forsale and I'm getting one of these.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #25
Dr.Dirty
Banned

Member # 1569
Ill let him know that there is in intrest in this feature. I got a felling were are going to see a bunch of procals up fro sale lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.