JKOwners Forum banner

Smaller Antenna

10K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  SDMF 
G
#1 ·
Has anyone found a shorter antenna that will fit the JK? I keep catching mine on trees and bushes. I have a small aftermarket flexible rubber one for my XJ but none of the ones I've found so far fit the JK. It seems to have a larger threaded receptacle.

Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
G, maybe with the antenna off you could swing by Sandy's on Mill Street and see if anyone knows what the connection size is called. Then we could scour the net for one.

Next step would be someone to take their antenna in to a Ham Radio store.

I thought I heard somewhere it was the same as the Libby one? Not that, that really helps yet.

#6 ·
I've been pounding the "Net' looking for an answer, because I'm real interested in doing this, some cut it shorter(not good), some runs without one(not good), some uses JB Weld to to fill the oversize hole(don't want to do that)......I'll be on this tonight, maybe an adapter >"Small to Biggiel" to fit the (Stubby Black Rubber Antenna) in our size hole. If I come up with anything I post tonight. With Pictures.

Read this Antenna conversion below, it gave some idea's. I know it's not a JK but still gives a possible direction.
http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=242567

#5 ·
You could cut it, but then it would truly suck as an AM/FM antenna. But if you don't use it, guess it wouldn't matter. My hands won't fit up in there, it's too tight for me. I'd have to remove the fender which wouldn't really be all that hard. I'd imagine the "Trail Rated Badge" would fit fine.

I'd like the idea of a little black whip like antenna though. ;)

G
#7 ·
The antenna mast is easily removeable from the outside. It has a set of male threads that appear to be 5/16 X 20. The rubber masts that I've found so far have a set of adapters with different thread sizes, but none are 5/16 X 20. I suppose I could have a custom adapter made but was hoping to not have to go that far.

I don't think I'd cut the antenna. I don't really use the AM/FM radio all that much (I have the Sirius option), so I could just remove it for now.

But, if anyone finds a solution, please post it.

#10 ·
Hey gcg,,,,I just put a 5/16 NC 18 Die and screwed right on....I thinks it's 18 not 20. Now to go look at some Stubby Antenna's & see what size they are. I know they sell different size "unions" at true value, I've used them to go to a different size.

#11 ·
Here ya go, bought a $5 antenna A&A Auto, Bought a 1/4 threaded union(True Value) & a 5/16 X 18 bolt $4, drilled out one end down in (1/2" in), used 5/16 Tap(cut thjreads, g screwed it in & cut bolt to proper length(hack saw), used 1/4 stud provided with Antenna the other end, went out and Whammy......Radio works just great. You'll see the 1/4 stud in the picture & 5/16 at the other end:

Here is the little gissmo screwed into Antenna.....

G
#16 ·
Great work! It's always nice to see a simple solution that works. Sorry about the wrong thread count (I originally thought it was 20) - I went to Home Depot today and found that it was 18, too, but hadn't gotten around to posting it.

I really like your solution. I think I'll give it a try myself! Love the way this forum works!

#19 ·
Way to go man,...very glad to help, I needed this started, thats what brought the idea back again, that's what's great about this forum.:D

#21 ·
I put mine in the fender well when I put my snorkel on! It still work great!

Great idea, especially if it works........Question,, did you have front & rear OX Lockers installed or other Lockers with OX Covers.
Best License Plate you could ever put on the front....:beer:
Semper Fi. & Great Looking Rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.