Keep from rusting - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
RUDY850
Granite Guru

Member # 2249
Keep from rusting

In PA it only takes one winter for the undercarriage to start to rust.

My uncle has a 10 year old doge truck that he sprays the frame and inside the body panels with motor oil.His frame has a thick oily build up of a mixture of oil and road dust. The oil is thickend and held in place from the road dust

He has no rust at all under his truck

I started doing this last year to my jk before its first winter and it is working very well

I have a 95 ford f150 that was rust proofed and under coated when it was new. I have it tore apart in the garage due to it being rusted out badly. I intend to fix it if i can keep from adding stuff to the jk

The rust proofing and under coating just made things worse in my opinion

So has anyone else seen how well this oil method works
RK 3.5 LIFT/RRD SHOCKS/FRONT CONTROL ARMS/DRAG LINK/TRACK BAR/REAR BRAKE HOSES/COOPER 295-75-17 STT JEEPERMAN FRONT BUMPER SUPERWINCH EPI9 JKS LOWER TRACK BAR BRACES/DISCONNECTS CRAGAR WHEELS SOFT 8 SYNERGY UPPER TRACK BAR BRACES RR SKID PLATES BENCHMARK DESIGNS EVAP SKID

Last edited by RUDY850; 09-26-2009 at 05:13 AM.
RUDY850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
BLACK JK
Rock God

Member # 3208
hello neighbor. for sure. our winters are the worst!! i have heard of the oil method but never tried it. we had a ziebart at one time here. when i had my ZR2 truck i had them undercoat it when it was new. it did hold up great during the winter. and their job was done right. no overspray on panels etc. i got the JK used in jan. undercarriage looks to be holding up fine. at time of purchase i could have chosen the dealer undercoating at a reduced cost, but opted not to. still on the fence about doing anything to it.
BLACK JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
RUDY850
Granite Guru

Member # 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK JK View Post
hello neighbor. for sure. our winters are the worst!! i have heard of the oil method but never tried it. we had a ziebart at one time here. when i had my ZR2 truck i had them undercoat it when it was new. it did hold up great during the winter. and their job was done right. no overspray on panels etc. i got the JK used in jan. undercarriage looks to be holding up fine. at time of purchase i could have chosen the dealer undercoating at a reduced cost, but opted not to. still on the fence about doing anything to it.

Hi.after seeing how my truck rusted and seeing all the rust that was under the undercoating i would not go that way again

I keep my vehicles as long as I can hopefully this method will prevent it from looking like my truck in
RK 3.5 LIFT/RRD SHOCKS/FRONT CONTROL ARMS/DRAG LINK/TRACK BAR/REAR BRAKE HOSES/COOPER 295-75-17 STT JEEPERMAN FRONT BUMPER SUPERWINCH EPI9 JKS LOWER TRACK BAR BRACES/DISCONNECTS CRAGAR WHEELS SOFT 8 SYNERGY UPPER TRACK BAR BRACES RR SKID PLATES BENCHMARK DESIGNS EVAP SKID
Old 09-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
nourlmt
Rock God

Member # 2116
Up here in NH we have the same issue.Lots of salt and sand spraying off the tires is like taking a grinder to the paint. i have seen some rigs that get oiled they are the ones still driving. Some guys use transmisson fluid mixed with paraffin and heated then applied, others use chainsaw bar and chain oil.

What i understand is used motor oil picks up additives from the gasoline being burned and that can accelerate deterioration of all the rubber lines and seals underneath.I don't know much about it myself just what guys have told me.
trans fluid is more rubber friendly as well as bar oil.

Go ahead and spray it I'm gonna this year, just make sure you check your brake and fuel lines often.

Am I in deep enough yet?
nourlmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
RUDY850
Granite Guru

Member # 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nourlmt View Post
Up here in NH we have the same issue.Lots of salt and sand spraying off the tires is like taking a grinder to the paint. i have seen some rigs that get oiled they are the ones still driving. Some guys use transmisson fluid mixed with paraffin and heated then applied, others use chainsaw bar and chain oil.

What i understand is used motor oil picks up additives from the gasoline being burned and that can accelerate deterioration of all the rubber lines and seals underneath.I don't know much about it myself just what guys have told me.
trans fluid is more rubber friendly as well as bar oil.

Go ahead and spray it I'm gonna this year, just make sure you check your brake and fuel lines often.

Ya its good to keep away from anything rubber. i have seen bushings swell from oil leaks on other cars and such

chainsaw bar oil. Is what I have been putting on it this summer.Holds in place well
Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
08 R R UNLIMITED
Wheeler

Member # 5117
Last week went and got oil sprayed...We have a company called KROWN
and they pretty much garanty no rust after they have sprayed it...You
have to get it done each year but so what...It's only 120.00...
08 R R UNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
RUDY850
Granite Guru

Member # 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 R R UNLIMITED View Post
Last week went and got oil sprayed...We have a company called KROWN
and they pretty much garanty no rust after they have sprayed it...You
have to get it done each year but so what...It's only 120.00...

If you got a compressor .You can get a siphon sprayer for like 30 bucks and save some cash
Old 04-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
jeepRcreepR
Granite Guru

Member # 7996
Anyone spray their Jeep with oil or any other undercoating this past winter???
jeepRcreepR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.