Security system problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Electrical & Lighting Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
Exclamation Security system problem

Ok, so I just went through the car wash and noticed a little red light lit on the dash. Got home pulled into the garage to work on it, shut off pulled out the manual to figure out what the light is. It is an indicator for the security system and says it comes on if you use the wrong key and the engine will shut off. The engine didn't shut off, but now it won't start with either key and the buttons on the remotes do nothing. There is a constant chiming when the door is open and all of the indicator lights come on when I put the key in the ignition, but it won't start. I have the battery unhooked hoping it will reset, but I'm not hopeful.

Does anyone have any idea what happened and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
ASSFROW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
PhrogMech46
JKO Addict!

Member # 10501
Garage
I'm just guessing here but if the battery trick doesn't work you may have to tow it to the dealership to pair the keys with the Jeep again.

See Garage for Mods http://www.jkowners.com/forum/dto_garage.php
PhrogMech46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
2Door
Granite Guru

Member # 44633
Something similar happened to mine. It essentially disabled the ignition. I pulled the security system fuse from the block under the hood, waited about 10 seconds and put it back. After that, the key fob worked again and the Jeep started when I tried it.

I should add, I tried both keys, neither worked, both in the ignition or the fobs

With the battery disconnected, it should take power away from that fuse long enough to reset it. Hope it works for ya
Old 01-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
I'm just guessing here but if the battery trick doesn't work you may have to tow it to the dealership to pair the keys with the Jeep again.
That's my fear, but I'm hoping someone might know something I don't(most people do).
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
Well I left the battery disconnected while I installed my HID kit. When I hooked the battery back up the security system was fine, but the wipers went ape shit and after a few times starting and shutting the engine off they turned off.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
LeJerk
Granite Guru

Member # 20619
Did they they get your key mixed up with another Jeep at the car wash? Maybe the other guy is having the same problem right now.
LeJerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
LeJerk
Granite Guru

Member # 20619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Well I left the battery disconnected while I installed my HID kit. When I hooked the battery back up the security system was fine, but the wipers went ape shit and after a few times starting and shutting the engine off they turned off.
Maybe get your battery checked? I remember a friends JK had electrical weirdness on start-up and his battery was dying.
LeJerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
It was drive through car wash where they scrub the outside first, but I never got out. I did turn it off and on a few times while I was waiting, so maybe the battery is weak and made it act up. Thanks for the heads up I'll keep an eye on it.

I hate going to the car wash. I only went so I wouldn't have to work on a salt crusted Jeep with ice packed underneath. They have used so much salt on the roads that it took 3 days to be able to see the lines on the roads and it's like a dust storm on the highway from the salt dust.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Jeepinwilson
Wheeler

Member # 19071
Mine just started having an issue with the small red light coming on and going off after about 20 minutes of driving the past couple of days. I am not sure what is going on, but it has yet to not start for me. It is really odd, because it comes on and then goes off, but at the same time the TMPS light comes on and goes off as well. Has yours stopped coming on or giving you issues yet?
Jeepinwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
I haven't had a problem since I hooked the battery back up and I'm fortunate enough not to have TPMS.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
Grant211
JKO Addict!

Member # 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Ok, so I just went through the car wash and noticed a little red light lit on the dash. Got home pulled into the garage to work on it, shut off pulled out the manual to figure out what the light is. It is an indicator for the security system and says it comes on if you use the wrong key and the engine will shut off. The engine didn't shut off, but now it won't start with either key and the buttons on the remotes do nothing. There is a constant chiming when the door is open and all of the indicator lights come on when I put the key in the ignition, but it won't start. I have the battery unhooked hoping it will reset, but I'm not hopeful.

Does anyone have any idea what happened and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
been discussed before....

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...light=security

no real fix...
Grant211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
JKommuter
Granite Guru

Member # 7324
My jeep locked me out a couple of weeks ago, had to use the key in the door to get in. Once I opened the door the alarm activated (horn). I put the key in the ignition and turned it, alarm kept going, engine started and immediately died. Had the wife bring her key up to the office, put it in the ignition jeep started, and the alarm stopped. My key still wouldn't work. I replaced the battery in my key and everything was back to normal.

I know your seeing a different issue, but I can't help but wonder if the battery in you key is going dead.
JKommuter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
been discussed before....

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...light=security

no real fix...
My issue was different. The security system activated as if I had tried to hotwire or used the wrong key. It did what it was supposed to in that situation, but I was using the correct keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post
My jeep locked me out a couple of weeks ago, had to use the key in the door to get in. Once I opened the door the alarm activated (horn). I put the key in the ignition and turned it, alarm kept going, engine started and immediately died. Had the wife bring her key up to the office, put it in the ignition jeep started, and the alarm stopped. My key still wouldn't work. I replaced the battery in my key and everything was back to normal.

I know your seeing a different issue, but I can't help but wonder if the battery in you key is going dead.
That is possible, but I don't think so. Neither of my keys would work and it initiated while it was running. Something freaked out the security system, I just don't know what. I was in the car wash, so maybe something got wet that shouldn't. It also hasn't happened again.

On another note my antenna took a beating and now my radio reception is bad, but nothing appears to be wrong with the antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.