Aftermarket Fender Clips - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Write Up Dept. (The Library)

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
chasinternet
Granite Guru

Member # 2935
Aftermarket Fender Clips

The Rubicon fenders and splash shields are held together by plastic clips that are very expensive to replace if bought from a dealer. I have used plastic cable ties because I refused to pay the stealership prices.

Au-ve-co (Auto-Vehicle Parts Company) has been around since 1916 and has a huge selection of body hardware and fasteners. After reviewing the Auveco catalog, I bought replacement clips for my JK Rubicon fenders from http://www.clipsandfasteners.com

These Auveco clips work great for a fraction of the price.

The Mopar 68039280AA clips that hold the fender to the body are $4.50 MSRP, lowest I've seen online is $3.27. The Auveco 20887 (which is made for the Jeep Liberty - gray instead of black color plus comes with a small fiber anti-vibration washer) I bought a box of 15 for $8.92 - that's only 59 cents each!!!!

The Mopar 06506007AA are nylon rivets that attach the splash shield to the fender lip - MSRP $1.25. Auveco 13751 box of 25 was $6.05 - 24 cents each.

The Mopar 06030441 (there is some confusion in the parts catalog but I believe that is correct) holds the splash shield to the body and is MSRP $3.15. The Auveco 11146 I bought 25 for $2.97 - 12 cents each.

So lets say you rip off the rear fender/splash shield and the clips all break - that is 68039280AA 11pcs@$4.50; 06506007AA 6pcs@$1.25; 06030441 5pcs@3.15 = $72.75 MSRP to replace clips for one fender. With the Auveco clips I bought - it costs $8.59!

chasinternet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Born2run
Rock God

Member # 1972
Great information to retain for future. Thanks. Beer time.

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
Born2run is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Ruskin
Rock God

Member # 420
Thanks. Just ordered a set.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
tkob1060
JKO Addict!

Member # 5021
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Pro...20700&CartID=1

there is link to the clips in black not gray and come in box of 25 for 10.95 or .43 each

She still needs your help in 2011 click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
STUPIDFACE
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Member # 2880
Mopar is raping the public....

corey d
Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
NxtGenCowboy
Rock God

Member # 4472
Awesome Find.. I broke the first three clips on right back yesterday.. Woohoo cheap clips!

The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux
NxtGenCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
PB Foot
Granite Guru

Member # 1793
this should be in the write up section
PB Foot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
chasinternet
Granite Guru

Member # 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Pro...20700&CartID=1

there is link to the clips in black not gray and come in box of 25 for 10.95 or .43 each
Those are different clips - compare the pictures. If you haven't tried them yourself please note that on your post so people don't order the wrong ones. They are close and might work OK but I can't tell. The part that goes against the body is different (thicker/shorter) and according to the catalog the stem is slightly (2.3mm) shorter. The alignment pins have to be the right spacing too but spec doesn't give size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB Foot View Post
this should be in the write up section
I thought about that but wasn't sure - I noticed stocks parts seemed to go here.

I have no problem with the mod moving it.

Last edited by chasinternet; 09-09-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
tkob1060
JKO Addict!

Member # 5021
ok looking at them side by side they are slightly different. I do have the black ones and they do work. I think the gray ones would be better though as you said they are slightly longer and they do match the stock ones exactly cept the color. Good find and really isnt big deal for 15cents more, they should make boxes of 25 of them though damnit

She still needs your help in 2011 click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Great find, I'll need some of these eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinternet View Post
......................I have no problem with the mod moving it.
lol, this is a mostly self-service forum. Since you started the thread, you can use thread tools right up there ^^^ and move it where you like
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I count ten rounds on target for a moving vehicle in low light. How is this woman single?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
gold knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
SDMF
Openly Hostile

Member # 1231
I agree, this should be in the writeup index, it's very useful information. Pm WTF LOL.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
chasinternet
Granite Guru

Member # 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
they should make boxes of 25 of them though damnit
I agree - I bought 2 boxes right away and then 2 more later when I was cutting my fenders. I got good at releasing them though so turned out didn't need all the extras. These clips come with a felt washer on the stem - guess it is to stop rattles/squeaks. I kept the washers on but I never had rattles without them on the stock clips either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Great find, I'll need some of these eventually.lol, this is a mostly self-service forum. Since you started the thread, you can use thread tools right up there ^^^ and move it where you like
I looked but all I see is the ability to delete the whole thread. Perhaps a red star thing here. I should PM Lance and offer if he moves my red star here, I'll leave Pirate - LOL.

I'll PM

Last edited by chasinternet; 09-09-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
mr_wes
Wheeler

Member # 3339
I don't care where it is posted, I just appreciate the information. Thank you !

I recently had a lift and new tires / wheels installed. My new tires are not much taller - only 33s, so the shop said no bump stop extensions were needed. But the tires are much wider and I found out Saturday that they will contact the rear fenders. I was out on the dunes by Florence, Oregon for about 10 minutes when I ripped off the driver's side rear fender. I got some fasteners from NAPA to hold the inner liner, and the inner to the outer. I was able to salvage enough of the original clips to hold the outer fender on the vehicle, but it should really have more than 3 clips holding it on. Thanks for giving me a reasonable source for those clips. They're totally hidden, so who cares about the color.
33x11.50 Hankook M/T RT03 tires on ProComp 8179 16x8 wheels (the rest of the year)
Safari Straps 3 piece kit, grab handles and fire extinguisher mount
Raingler overhead shelf
mr_wes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Rock Krawler Suspension
JKowners Vendor

Member # 4318
If you guys have trouble with this supplier, Try people who distribute ITW-Fastex plastic fasteners. They have the same items as well. If you go through MOPAR, you pay the MOPAR mark up!

Rock Krawler

The Originator of the Independent 3 Link System!
Rock Krawler Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
gpb
Wheeler

Member # 5356
Quote:
Those are different clips - compare the pictures. If you haven't tried them yourself please note that on your post so people don't order the wrong ones. They are close and might work OK but I can't tell.
The Au-ve-co #20887 clips work fine, they are what I used to reattach my passenger-side rear fender on my 09 Rubi.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
The Au-ve-co #20887 clips work fine, they are what I used to reattach my passenger-side rear fender on my 09 Rubi.
Yeah chas was talking about the other brand being different than Mopar ones. The Au-ve-co are identical to oem except color.
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I count ten rounds on target for a moving vehicle in low light. How is this woman single?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
gold knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
tulsarob
Wheeler

Member # 6125
I lost a plastic washer/screw under my front fender, toward the top-rear. It's the one that has to screw onto a threaded stud and holds the splash shield.

The dealership said I had to pre-pay to order them, they don't wanna stock small parts, and they would be about 3 dollars each.

So I poked around the lumber yard, in the cabinet hardware section, in those pull out drawers for small parts, found these things and the nylon washers too. Worked like a champ. They screw right on to the threaded stud.

The checkout girl charged me 10 cents each. (I think she had the hots for me. And bigfoot is real too)

tulsarob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #18
chasinternet
Granite Guru

Member # 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsarob View Post
I lost a plastic washer/screw under my front fender, toward the top-rear. It's the one that has to screw onto a threaded stud and holds the splash shield.
Timely post, I just noticed one of mine came off and I don't see it available in the Auveco catalog. I believe it is Mopar 6508809AA push on retainer (using parts catalog http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14557). I'll go to Orchard Supply Hardware near me and see what I find - thanks for the cabinet hardware idea, since there are only 2 on each front fender, I could live with ordering from Mopar for $3 each but that would take all the fun out of this.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
Mr.RonGilbert
JKO Addict!

Member # 3399
Garage
Good find.... gotta order some to have on hand.
Mr.RonGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
tulsarob
Wheeler

Member # 6125
Quote:
Timely post, I just noticed one of mine came off and I don't see it available in the Auveco catalog. I believe it is Mopar 6508809AA push on retainer (using parts catalog http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14557). I'll go to Orchard Supply Hardware near me and see what I find - thanks for the cabinet hardware idea, since there are only 2 on each front fender, I could live with ordering from Mopar for $3 each but that would take all the fun out of this.
The dealer printed out the tech illustration of the front fender showing 2 of these needed both sides. It's number 4 in the picture. But mine only needs one per side.

The bad part is it's a threaded stud you have to screw the thing onto. Seems it would have been easier to use one of those push in fasteners like all the others holding the splash shield on.

The push in clips can be found at most autopart stores in different sizes.
tulsarob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #21
chasinternet
Granite Guru

Member # 2935
Wanted to give feedback on the last fender clip in the set -

I ordered Mopar# 6508809AA but it was unavailable and they substituted 6509405AA which is less expensive and works great. The replacement is longer (the bolt is also longer on the JK - so no problem) and has more threads to grip the bolt (6 compared to just 1 on the original part).

6509405AA is $0.85 retail ($0.57 www.mopardiscountparts.com)
6508809AA is $3.80 retail ($2.55 www.mopardiscountparts.com)

I suggest ordering 6509405AA.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #22
TripleJackInGA
Wheeler

Member # 6004
I need some of these pretty quickly, before a trip out of town, and no-one near me has the Au-Ve-Co 20887 in stock, and it's cost-prohibitive to get them overnight.
I did find that while the 68039280AA runs $4.50+ at local dealerships, that if you ask for it, they likely don't have them. I was able to find two local dealerships that have plenty of the 55157055AA in stock (which the 20887 is based on), and they sell them for about $1.35 each.

More expensive than the 20887, but if you need them right away, it's a good alternative.
TripleJackInGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
BBirish
JKO Addict!

Member # 5381
Very helpful thread thanks. I was able to get my rear fenders back on for like 10 bucks
BBirish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #24
TripleJackInGA
Wheeler

Member # 6004
FYI - I have a good friend that works for a company that makes misc. items like this, which are widely available in retail parts stores, etc.. I mentioned to him all about these clips for the Wrangler. and how it's a PITA to find them, how much they were at the dealer, etc, and even though we have a cheap source for them, like Au-Ve-Co, that if you need some in a pinch, you have to cross your fingers and hope a dealer has either those, or the Liberty version.
I told him these are needed frequently, due to wheelin' mishaps, changing fenders, etc., so he's floated the idea of them making them and getting them into retail stores like Advance, Autozone, etc..
TripleJackInGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
rabidranger
Granite Guru

Member # 1152
Quote:

I just got some of the 20887's and they come with a little foam seal (not shown) on them. Made the fender seat nice and tight to the body. Would definitely go with those vs the black and no seal.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.