MBRP - 2 Door Roof Rack - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > Approved Vendor's Showcase > Vendor's Marketplace

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
MBRP - 2 Door Roof Rack

Many of you guys have been waiting a long time to see what we are putting together for the 2 door JK's. Here are some of the CAD drawings of the prototype we are working on. The adjustable cross members will be similar to the 4 door set-up we are currently building. I will have more info in the days and weeks to come. Let me know what you guys think!

NEW FACEBOOK GROUP: MBRP Performance Exhaust
MBRP Tech 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
SASQUATCH
JKO Addict!

Member # 70
Looks good and strong, you guys are still only building these for hardtops right? That's very limiting if so, but looks like a well designed product.
SASQUATCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
scottrock
JKO Addict!

Member # 3273
Yup, lookin good guys. Wish ya made a soft top version
scottrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Looks good and strong, you guys are still only building these for hardtops right? That's very limiting if so, but looks like a well designed product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Yup, lookin good guys. Wish ya made a soft top version
You never know...Our design team will be looking at all different options. If it is possible, without drilling into the body it could happen. Time will tell. Glad you guys like the look of this set-up.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
oO_Rogue_Oo
Granite Guru

Member # 2186
Iím afraid you lost me with this design. What made the MBRP rack both unique and desirable (to me anyway) was the lack of front down tubes; the way it tied into the hardtop and hung suspended over the removable panels. This departure from the original design is very disappointing. It is really a shame, Iíve been looking forward to the release of the 2 door rack for months only to be totally let down.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Grimscale
Granite Guru

Member # 4676
Unless the two-door hardtop is different, I don't see why they can't put a verticle support just behind the doors, similar to what they did with the 4-door.
However, having the verticle supports that close together would seriously reduce the load you can carry, plus it would shrink the top basket to only as large as the rear cargo area.
And for the softtop people, why can't they just design a rubber grommet system that would fit snug over the link between the inner and outer supports, and have those supports connect via thumbscrews.
it would mean a little more work to remove the side panels, but it should allow for this roof rack with a softtop.
Grimscale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
Unless the two-door hardtop is different, I don't see why they can't put a verticle support just behind the doors, similar to what they did with the 4-door.
However, having the verticle supports that close together would seriously reduce the load you can carry, plus it would shrink the top basket to only as large as the rear cargo area.
And for the softtop people, why can't they just design a rubber grommet system that would fit snug over the link between the inner and outer supports, and have those supports connect via thumbscrews.
it would mean a little more work to remove the side panels, but it should allow for this roof rack with a softtop.
Because the two door is much shorter, we decided to go with a full length rack that does not require a center support. This rack will utilize the strength of the a pillars combined with our rear bracket design from the 4 door set-up to safely support the highest load possible.

The freedom panels can be removed with the cross members in any location (they are fully adjustable) and we maintain a clean looking rack that is very simple to install.

Our basket will work well with this design, and the a pillar tubes are not going to obstruct the view of the road.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
oO_Rogue_Oo
Granite Guru

Member # 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1 View Post
and the a pillar tubes are not going to obstruct the view of the road.
The problem with pillar tubes is that they compete for some of the most utilized real estate on a Jeep. For those with windshield mounted lights, snorkels, relocated mirrors; and the list just goes on and on; your original design was the answer. A clean well designed rack that could hold much more weight than it really needed to; that cantilevered over the freedom panels; truly innovative design. This current design although a quality product Iím sure, is not what one would call innovative. No the two designed are worlds apart in both form and function and I couldnít be more disappointed than I am. I was one of the very early people to contact you when the original design was new, to ask about a 2 door model and Iíve waited probably better than 6 months now only to see the original design abandoned; almost like it was too good to be true (for 2 door owners anyway).
Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
We do appreciate everyones input and would like to offer something that functions flawlessly yet also keep it in a price range that is affordable for the end user. We are open to suggestions, but as most people know, it can be more difficult to incorporate everything than it looks. The soft top is not an option at this time, but it does not mean that we will not look into it.

Here is another drawing we were considering...We are looking at building the first prototype beginning tomorrow so I wanted to put this up to see what you guys thought beforehand. Any and all input is appreciated.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
SONIC
JKO Addict!

Member # 877
Why not make it just like the 4 dr version?

I would think if you had 2 down bars, one at the very back of the hardtop and one at the very front right behind the doors, it would be plenty strong to support the needed weight no?
SONIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
CDavisJK
Granite Guru

Member # 5510
How would this rack fit with the side mirror relocation brackets? Maybe they could just bolt on over the rack bracket?
CDavisJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
Is this what you guys want...It's as close to the 4 door set up as we can get. The cross bar is fully adjustable as well.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
Here you guys go...a few shots of the prototype in progress...This is rough, but it gives you guys the idea. What do you think? Mini 4 door rack or what?!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
scottrock
JKO Addict!

Member # 3273
That right there is pure tits. Now I need a hardtop. Damn you
scottrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
oO_Rogue_Oo
Granite Guru

Member # 2186
First let me say your flexibility and responsiveness to what is being said here is phenomenal; thank you.
Okay now on to the rack. First Iím not sure why you didnít cantilever further forward with the front tube? I have to assume that you canít get any further forward and still be able to remove the freedom top panels; is that correct? If the basket was mounted to just the rear section does it have the rigidity to support letís say 150 pounds forward of the center support bar; assuming the forward (windshield) down tube was not used? If so then I think this design is a winner.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Bocephus
Wheeler

Member # 4076
First off the prototype looks pretty dam good. Second is the vertical support bars for the four door wide enough apart to be installed on the two door hardtop. I ask because the pics can be deceiving. And if they are I personnaly would not mind it extending over top of the freedom panels.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
First let me say your flexibility and responsiveness to what is being said here is phenomenal; thank you.
Okay now on to the rack. First Iím not sure why you didnít cantilever further forward with the front tube? I have to assume that you canít get any further forward and still be able to remove the freedom top panels; is that correct? If the basket was mounted to just the rear section does it have the rigidity to support letís say 150 pounds forward of the center support bar; assuming the forward (windshield) down tube was not used? If so then I think this design is a winner.
This design was to allow the removal of the freedom panels, and also allow us to install the current basket design on this rack. We have not been able to do any load testing at this time but once the first production unit is available it will undergo many different stress tests.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
First off the prototype looks pretty dam good. Second is the vertical support bars for the four door wide enough apart to be installed on the two door hardtop. I ask because the pics can be deceiving. And if they are I personnaly would not mind it extending over top of the freedom panels.
The length of the design reflects the clearance needed to remove the freedom panels. This was a must for any roof rack design.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
oO_Rogue_Oo
Granite Guru

Member # 2186
Did this die on the vine; I don't see it on your website? If it is still in development I'd like to add one other thing; the down tubes that mount to the hardtop; on the 4 door model they turn in at the bottom for a very finished look. I notice on the pictures of the 2 door model they are straight cut and use a bracket rather than a turn in of the tube. Makes a huge difference in the perceived quality of the rack.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #20
JIMBOX
Rock God

Member # 2853
This is how they look on the 4dr

Quote:
JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #21
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
Quote:
Did this die on the vine; I don't see it on your website? If it is still in development I'd like to add one other thing; the down tubes that mount to the hardtop; on the 4 door model they turn in at the bottom for a very finished look. I notice on the pictures of the 2 door model they are straight cut and use a bracket rather than a turn in of the tube. Makes a huge difference in the perceived quality of the rack.
Both 2 and 4 door racks have been modified slightly for production purposes. The strength, tube diameter and overall look from the windshield light bar to the rear rack is all uniform in design now.

Here is the latest production look for both the 2 and 4 door racks...

Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #22
oO_Rogue_Oo
Granite Guru

Member # 2186
Iím envious of those lucky few that got in during the early production runs and got a VERY nice rack. If I had a 4 door I wouldíve been one of them. The design was unique and well executed. The evolution of the design seems to get further and further from the things that first enamored me toward this rack; namely a free flowing design, no front tube to obstruct your view or compete for windshield mounting space, no abrupt cuts or edges that leave it looking unfinished like so many other racks do. Once again, my congratulations to those lucky few who got in on the early production run, and to the designer for the original design.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #23
JIMBOX
Rock God

Member # 2853
Thanx Rogue, thats why I haven't added any to my initial rack (one of the first)

Quote:
I’m envious of those lucky few that got in during the early production runs and got a VERY nice rack. If I had a 4 door I would’ve been one of them. The design was unique and well executed. The evolution of the design seems to get further and further from the things that first enamored me toward this rack; namely a free flowing design, no front tube to obstruct your view or compete for windshield mounting space, no abrupt cuts or edges that leave it looking unfinished like so many other racks do. Once again, my congratulations to those lucky few who got in on the early production run, and to the designer for the original design.
Still clean, no noise and NO CORNERS !!

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #24
JKashat
Rock God

Member # 6786
Personally, I like the revisions to the rack (back mounts) as they match up more w/ the front winshield mount portion of the rack. I'm considering this setup on my '10 Rubicon Unlimited. And, IMHO the 2 Door rack looks sweet.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #25
MBRP Tech 1
Granite Guru

Member # 4824
Two door racks have been shipping the past few weeks and should be arriving and customers and dealer locations any time this week. Thank you to all those who have placed orders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.