Bilstein vs Fox - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
holiday13
Wheeler

Member # 18695
Bilstein vs Fox

Looking at upgrading shocks and I know everyone raves about the ride quality in the Bilstein 5100s, but does anyone have any/much direct comparison experience going to the Fox 2.0 non-resivoir shocks?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16335_400X_PG.htm
They are not that much more $ then the Bilsteins and if the quality is better I don't mind spending a few extra buck, figure upgrading all 4 would only be another $100 and change.

Former Team Quadratec driver #831
holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
thedirtman
JKO Addict!

Member # 10948
The fox is a prettier shock and does have a larger shaft then the 5100.
You can also look at other series of Bilstien shocks, when you jump up to the 7100 series you can get a shock that is user re-buildable that is not that much more then the 5160's

I don't know how you are quantifying "quality"
Valving, vehicle weight, coil rates, tires, and suspension set up will all have affect on the ride.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
LittleRed
Wheeler

Member # 27481
a big plus for the fox is that some vendors sell them valved/tuned for JK's
LittleRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
D5Fire
Rock God

Member # 6804
I currently run bilstien 5100's on my 09 two door JK, with a RK 2.5 Max Travel, and the gf's 13 JKUR is running the fox 2.0 remote resi's. on an RK 2.5 X Factor. I know its not exactly an apple to apples comparison but when my 5100's are toast Ill be switching over to Fox, the ride is just so much better, on and off road. Compared to hers mine feels stiff and unforgiving, but its still better than stock.

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
D5Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
RiverCityOffroad
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Member # 10936
Garage
I like the control of the Fox 2.0s better than the Bilstein 5100. The 5100s are very soft and squishy in comparison on a heavier rig.

After running 5100s and the Fox 2.0s I agree with the others that the Fox is a bit more rigid than the 5100, but definitely lends itself to a more spirited driving experience.

(I just laughed out loud at my sentence above this one.... )

Let us know if we can help.

Marcus

RCO on Facebook!
Call Me - 832-526-2415
RiverCityOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
EMG006
Boobs and Beer

Member # 6826
Garage
I didn't enjoy the bilsteins on my last rig and swapped them for the fox 2.0. They felt better to me in all situations. A little but more in price, but worth it IMO.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
holiday13
Wheeler

Member # 18695
Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking to find out. My jk is 99% on the road and the little bit off the road is on the beaches, so I am trying to get the best predictable ride possible. The Fox's are not that much more $ in the grand scheme of what I have in this jeep already and if the ride is better, that $100 and change is well worth it. Thanks again

Former Team Quadratec driver #831
holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Acey
Rock God

Member # 20783
I am running the Fox 2.0 non-res shocks on my 08 JK w/RK 2.5 Max Travel.
Chose the Fox over the Bilstein's because they are rebuildable and aluminum (less fade). No experience with the Bilstein's personally, so I can only give an opinion on the Fox shocks. The Fox feel stiffer than the stock Rubi shocks, but somehow they give a better ride. Kinda hard to describe. The wife told me that the new shocks make it feel "more stable" than the stockers.

BTW, don't waste the money on reservoir shocks, unless you plan on doing high-speed racing across washboard terrain. The reservoir shocks are mostly bought by those who want the appearance rather than the functionality.

Last edited by Acey; 10-25-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
BigMike
I LIKE BOOBIES

Member # 6692
Garage
Throw in the ARB/OME Nitrocharger Sport Shock for comparison. I'm making my build list now and seriously considering them over the Bilstein 5100. Same price as the Fox 2.0.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
SSrubi07
Granite Guru

Member # 18738
What about Bilstein´s 5160 and FOX´s 2.0 w/reservoir? i saw that teraflex has a set of custom valved fox´s for the same price of the 5160´s.

My 5100´s ride great in the city, smooth ride, but on long drives they are too soft for my overweight jk. Not to mention in the sand, it rocks like a boat at sea.

Last edited by SSrubi07; 10-25-2013 at 02:58 PM.
SSrubi07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Rploaded
Wheeler

Member # 41241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
definitely lends itself to a more spirited driving experience.

I had uncontrollable laughter when I read this...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Rploaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
RiverCityOffroad
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Member # 10936
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rploaded View Post
I had uncontrollable laughter when I read this...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Me too.. just happened again.

RCO on Facebook!
Call Me - 832-526-2415
RiverCityOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Rumble

Member # 23941
I dont mean to Hijack here, but I am looking at getting a lift , shocks , wheels/ tires and fenders in the next week, so i am following your thread.

Dumb question---how do i start a thread of my own asking some of my questions on lift choices?

Thanks
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
FtHoodJK
Granite Guru

Member # 19022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
I dont mean to Hijack here, but I am looking at getting a lift , shocks , wheels/ tires and fenders in the next week, so i am following your thread.

Dumb question---how do i start a thread of my own asking some of my questions on lift choices?

Thanks
menifee ehh? small world. I last lived in Hemet in CA haha.

Do a search for some info then start a new topic with the info you still need.
FtHoodJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Rumble

Member # 23941
Too funny, most people never heard of Menifee, it is a small world.
I clicked on "New Thread", but it only showed me new threads, lol. No option to "start a new thread", at least i didnt see one
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
PIG
JKowners Vendor

Member # 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday13 View Post
Looking at upgrading shocks and I know everyone raves about the ride quality in the Bilstein 5100s, but does anyone have any/much direct comparison experience going to the Fox 2.0 non-resivoir shocks?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16335_400X_PG.htm
They are not that much more $ then the Bilsteins and if the quality is better I don't mind spending a few extra buck, figure upgrading all 4 would only be another $100 and change.
FOX's hands down.... BTW, shoot me a PM, I can get you a better price on those units than whats listed on your link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post

Thanks
Not a dumb question at all... Just hit the NEW THREAD button!
PIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
SoK66
JKO Addict!

Member # 4483
Not exactly your requested comparison, but I just installed Teraflex's FOx resis, replacing the 5100s that have been on there a couple of years. The Fox's are a significant upgrade, much better tuned to the suspension and the amount of unsprung weight I have. Not to trash the 5100s, if you're running a modest tire size & non-bead wheel they're great. They just have their limits.
'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm suspension, Teraflex R44 front housing, Teraflex / Fox Reservoir 2.0s, Poly skid system, TF skids, Bushwacker flats, 37" MTR/Ks on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex Big Brake Kit, Teraflex master cylinder, Superior front & G2 rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reid Knuckles, Synergy drag link & tie rod, 5.38s, Teraflex Dual Rate front bar, Full Traction 19mm rear bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
D94R
Granite Guru

Member # 22810
I have the Fox IPF 2.0's front and rear, trading up from some generic EXPLORER branded shocks that came from the PO installed lift.

The ride and feel are without a doubt a million times better than any generic gas charged shock, but I can't compare them to 5100's on a JK (I had 5100's on a Ranger and loved them though).

However, I have two annoyances with them, and I didn't experience it until I had the rears installed. (I installed the fronts a month prior).
When coming to a complete stop, the Jeep will rock front/rear about 3 or 4 times. It's not dramatic, and not noticeable from outside, but you can definitely feel it. It feels like water sloshing in a tank. I didn't experience this with the cheap-o shocks on there.

I also experience "bouncing" while doing 5mph or less. Again, it was not there with the old shocks, and immediately was with the new FOX's. It feels exactly like very luggy tires on black top (and my tires don't have odd wear).

Neither of these are annoying enough to make me want to change them out, but they are noticeable.

I imagine the reason for both is because of the floating piston and slow fluid movement through the body at slow speeds?
D94R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
Acey
Rock God

Member # 20783
D94R, sounds like the new shocks in the rear are in need warranty replacement (you got some bad ones delivered). I'm running the same shocks and never had an issue with rocking back and forth or bouncing. My Fox 2.0's work as a shock should work...dampening any movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.