JKOwners Forum banner

How to Plastidip your Door Hinges and Jeep Emblem

62K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  geis 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone! :beer:

This is my first post on any Jeep forum; just bought my 'Bright Silver Metallic 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon' completely stock on 1/24/12 and I love it.

This is a pic heavy 'how to plastidip your JK door hinges and Jeep emblem' for anyone wanting to see/learn. (My second mod so far after the black Mopar gas cap.)

If you mess up; peel it off and start over.
If you don't like how it looks; peel it off.
If you decide you want to go back to stock; peel it off.

Step 1 - Clean the areas you are going to be plastidipping with soap and water. Then dry the areas, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol, and wait for it to dry. (No sanding or priming required.)

Before:

During:

After:

Step 2 - Tape off the areas you are going to be spraying.

Easy to peel off excess plastidip around the emblem:

Step 3 - Spray a thin coat of plastidip, so that you can still somewhat see some of the Jeep's paint underneath. Wait 5 minutes and spray again until you can't see anymore of the Jeep's paint. Then wait 15 minutes in between each coat after this.

Third Coat:

Step 4 - Wait an hour for it to dry after the last coat.

Step 5 - Start peeling the tape off carefully.

Step 6 - Peel off the extra plastidip around the emblem. (And door hinges if you don't fully tape it off.)

Step 7 - Admire your finished project and take tons of pictures!

Don't mind the JK stickers; bought them before I knew anything about that group.

- Ray =)

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks nice. What's keeping it from peeling off on it's own in just a few months though? If it's as easy to peel back as you made it sound, don't you think it'll peel back on its own after short time? To avoid that you'll likely need to scuff up what you're coating.

#3 ·
I researched these things before I did it and people have had it on for years without it coming off. It's not easy for it to come off unless you're actually trying to take it off by peeling it. If it does get messed up, you can peel it off and respray it.

Personally, I've only had it on for a little over a month now, and it still looks the same as day 1.
If anything does happen, I'll give this thread an update.

#13 ·
Hmmmm I'm guessing I find plasti-dip at Home Depot or Lowes..and I'm sure it comes in different colors...as the original Plasti-dip was literally a dipping method for handles of tools and such..?

#14 ·
I just answered my own question. ha ha

Colors:

White
Clear
Yellow
Red
Black
Blue

Plasti Dip has been tested in temperatures from -30°F all the way up to +200°F. It maintains its flexibility, stretchiness, and other physical characteristics throughout this entire scale. Plasti Dip won’t get brittle or crack in the cold, and it won’t melt or become overly rubbery at high temps.

Temperature is also an important factor when applying Plasti Dip. Ideally, Plasti Dip should be applied at “room temperature” temperatures, from 65-70°F. (Though I myself used aerosol Plasti Dip on a project in my unheated garage a few weeks back, and, while I’m no human thermometer, I’m pretty sure the temperature in there was lower than the ideal. The Plasti Dip went on just fine, and dried in the usual amount of time with no problems.)

And speaking of ideal application conditions, it is best to avoid direct sunlight, high humidity, and windy conditions, if possible. High humidity and higher or lower than ideal temperatures can adversely affect the finish of Plasti Dip once it dries, making it look cloudy or hazy. (This wasn’t a concern for the project I mentioned above, as I painted over the Plasti Dip after it dried.)

To get the best possible results, apply 2-3 coats of Plasti Dip to your project. Five coats is probably the maximum that you’d ever need, but for aesthetic reasons or for extreme protection you can certainly add more. Be sure to let each coat dry completely before applying the next, approximately 30-40 minutes, and allow for at least four hours of drying time before actually using your Plasti Dipped item, whatever it may be.

Or you can watch these two video's...and laugh your ass off...and make custom colors...lol.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Create_Your_Color_Kit

#15 ·
So can you get this at home depot? I love the look of the black hinges I want to do mine real soon. Nice write up by the way.

#23 ·
Yeah I got mine at Home Depot. Thanks Man.

How did you peel off the excess inside the letters of the emblem? Does it peel away that easily?
I used a toothpick to make a hole so I can grab it on the inside of the letters.

Welcome and nice write-up!

I do believe the last shiny things on my Jeep (emblem and door locks) are going to be black soon. Shiny things bother me!!! Thanks!!!

:beer::beer:
Haha same, thanks man. :beer:

#18 ·
Well I can honestly say I'd never heard of this stuff until now. I see the grille and emblems have been covered. What else have you all heard of being 'plasti-dipped'? If its as durable and flexible as they say it is I might start spraying it on all kinds of shit.

I also think I'm going to start use the word plast-dip a lot...

#19 ·
I've used it in the past for waterproofing servos on RC trucks that see time in wet areas. This stuff is was made (like someone above said) for dipping the handles of tools in. So think of an older pair of wirepliers or channel locks, this stuff feels like the grip put on them. I used it on my old nitro RC four wheel drive truck and definitely did some non-electronics-friendly stuff to it and never had a problem with water getting where I didn't want it. It CAN be chipped/cracked/chunked or whatever, but it's really hard to. It's really cool stuff. Up until this post, I didn't know it came in spray form, I always literally dipped things into it. This way looks much less messy and easier to get the stuff where you want it and not where you don't.

#25 ·
I just checked out the site, man that gunmetal color has some potential. Im almost of a mind to do the whole jeep.

#26 ·
Doing my hinges right now I'll be sure to post up some pics for you guys.

#28 ·
i took a razor blade to it so I wouldnt run into that problem, it worked for me

#29 ·
Screw plasty dip, just commit! Did mine all black this weekend and added black grille mesh and painted Jeep emblem black.

#34 ·
Wow that is quite a feat! Keep us updated on how well it weathers with age and if it starts to peel off or anything. On that note, have you tried to peel it off at all? Did you have to scuff your paint first or is this something you want to be temporary?

#35 ·
The first peeling I noticed happened where I figured; inside on the jambs where the rubber seals touch. It's not bad so I just sprayed a heavier coat there and it was corrected. The other spot was on the door sills where my feet scrape; again this was anticipated so I just sprayed heavier. Other than that, the body is still good even with bugs smacking it, pressure washing, and weather. The cool thing is that one time I was going through some mud and after it had dried, most could be sprayed off. However, there were some "spots" like hard water spots that remained so I just sprayed over them! Just like new!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.