JKOwners Forum banner

JK Subwoofer

94K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  CaliJKU 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted this on another forum, and a lot of people seemed to be interested in it. So I thought I would just copy/paste it here. Some of you prolly have seen it:

This is my first write up, so I apologize if it sucks. I have been looking for the right subwoofer solution for me for a while. It seems like to get good sound you have to give up your cargo space. Well I refuse to compromise. I wanted to have cargo room, and still have the locking storage usable in the back. My jeep is a 2 door, but it should work on a unlim. too.

OK enough jibba-jabba. I bought a P3L-S12 by Rockford Fosgate at my local Best Buy. It is a loaded slim box with a 12" P3 woofer. This thing rocked loud wide open in the store and is less than 6" thick. I got the idea from a stealth pod to mount it to the tail gate. I am sure that another downfire setup would rock harder but I promise this smokes the factory sub, and the basslink etc. There isn't much to explain, so I will show you what I did.

I got some L-shape brackets from Lowe's and some body screws and attached them to the gate with foam behind them.

(they are level and straight. the angle is an illusion)

then I bolted the sub to them and attached the side brackets that came with the sub. ( i made some spacers out of plastic to fit better)

thats it. pretty easy. I had a hard time drilling the tail gate but I am so glad I did it looks and sounds great.

here you can see it installed:

the carpet isn't as dark as it looks in the pics

here are some day shots:

here it is before I plugged it in. notice that it clears the latch on the floor:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here are the finished locations of the amp and wiring:

I cut a piece of wood,carpeted it, and bent up some brackets so I could put the amp under the seat without it being on the floor. You can pull out all the carpet without removing any audio stuff. the amp is a 2 or 3 inches from the floor.

For the speaker wire I didn't want to have to plug something in every time I shut the door. I also didn't want to see wire everywhere. So I undid the zip ties that hold that nylon sleeve that the 3rd brake wires and stuff go through to the tailgate and ran the speaker wire through there. I don't know what you call that sleeve. I reclosed the factory zip tie retainers and this is what I got:

There was no way to hide all the wire, the place on the box that you plug it in is real visible. I took some of that plastic wire loom stuff,some zip ties, banana plugs and a little shrink wrap and came up with this:

I hope that all makes sense, If you have any questions or want photos of anything in particular let me know. Any comments/suggestions greatly welcomed.

#3 ·
The soundbar speakers blow a donkey d**k so I put these in:

The speaker looks purple, but it isn't. Model is RS62. The dash is soon getting the component set by crossfire called X6. they require an adapter to mount them in that 3 prong chrysler opening. You can get them at the local audio hut, or best buy.

I had this old pioneer CD player in the closet but since it has HPF and Subwoofer controls along with decent EQ and other sound processing I swapped it in. It looks cheesy with the animation and stuff, but this old deck sounds awesome.

My friend Frank sent me a 6 disk factory DVD changer (he is f#$%ing awesome) so I am taking the pioneer out. If anyone wants a great older deck for cheap make me an offer. It has the factory remote and detatch. face case too.

#25 ·
The soundbar speakers blow a donkey d**k so I put these in:

The speaker looks purple, but it isn't. Model is RS62. The dash is soon getting the component set by crossfire called X6. they require an adapter to mount them in that 3 prong chrysler opening. You can get them at the local audio hut, or best buy.

What kind of speakers did you put in the sound bar??:)

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
Thanks!

Check this out... I was going to install a 6 disk DVD changer, but instead I got a Mygig RER for only $260 shipped. It was brand new in the box. Couldn't pass that up. I am using a cheap wal-mart line lever converter. They work as well as any. A friend gave me a coastal (lockpick) mic. So now I have U-connect hands free calling and Voice Recognition. I am loving the VR.
line lever converter:

Mic location:

U-connect:

Looks great in the dash:

New in the box:

#6 ·
Did you have to do anything else other than plug in the Mygig for it to work? I've almost been thinking about finding a pull out. I know a guy that owns an install shop, I'd probably get one cheap if not free...

#16 ·
sorry I didn't see this before. The day I installed it I also tried out a 6 disk my friend gave me. The dealer told me that with either I would have to have the starscan hooked up. This was not the case. The 6d made a bunch of clicks and motor sounds, then worked perfect. The mygig said chrysler on the screen when I first turned it on but the second time it said jeep and all the menus said jeep. The navigation said GPS not activated, so I left it over night. The next day I start to drive it and the GPS works perfect. Everything works perfect, no dealer starscan needed. Plug and Play.

thanks stub. I am proud of it.

hey pig... you have a photo of yours?

#7 ·
#8 ·
Not being a sound guru (i.e. I'm perfectly happy with the stock sound system), I think your set up looks pretty nice...good job!

#9 ·
I really like your setup. I saw your post on the other Forum and I was really interested in it.I have a box in the back of my jeep with 2 Sony's the problem is it weighs alot.Thinking of getting rid of it and doing something like what you did:grinpimp:

#11 ·
Another option to relocate sub...

I relocated my sub to the "storage thing" in the back. Since its a pain to access that area, I thought this would be a good spot. I removed the sub from the factory plastic housing and made a simple wooden box...(actually a piece of plywood and a couple of pieces of 2x4). I cut a hole (w/ jigsaw) in the top of it and securely bolted up the speaker. Then cut a hole in the carpeted cover and reinstalled the grill. It was very easy and I now have the sub and some more room in the back. If anyone wants to see any additional pics, then no problem.

Attachments

#12 ·
I thought long and hard about putting a sub where you have it. I have a crossfire 12 I was going to put in that spot. I decided I wanted to use the lockable storage of it and I want to get that woods kit that makes it deeper. I was super close to mounting one right there though. good idea using the factory sub there. how is the sound?

#13 ·
I worried about the quality (as I likes me thump!). It is 100% awesome. I thought that maybe it would cause it to thud instead of thump or to be not heard as well. But I am amazed at the quality and control of the sound. It doesnt dampen the thump either. I originally thought I would have to spray some herculiner or use a dynomat to keep the sound clean and responsive, but didn't feel the need after hearing it. I would never consider mounting it anywhere else now. I can rarely justify turning the bass knob up completely because the overall sound of the upgraded OEM system sounds that good. I have had Alpine/ Memphis/ JL systems in the past and now I am considering selling my JL 250wt amp, Alpine head, and JL 10" sub.

#14 ·
I had that old pioneer in mine for a while, It has high and low pass filters and parametric eq among other equalization features. That deck made the factory speakers sound like high end ones. I wish the mygig sounded as good as that old pioneer.

good work stub. I like the factory look of it.

#15 ·
Grover...looks like you've got some mad install/ wiring skills. Your set up looks killer too.

#19 ·
how did you get an RER for $250!?!?!?

#20 ·
A dealer listed one on ebay that they bought for a chrysler car that was the wrong model. They listed it in the wrong section of ebay, so no one bid on it. They had a starting bid of only $300 but since no one bid I emailed them on the last day and said I would give them $250 plus shipping for it right now. They said they were just trying to recover some of the cost from getting the wrong one and they had hoped to get more but they accepted my offer. With shipping it cost me $260. It was new in the box, but it was only the RER itself not the GPS antenna or sat radio stuff. I bought a GPS antenna from the dealer for $31. So it cost me $291 total for a new Mygig RER. Don't get mad. I know it is a retarded good deal.

#23 ·
Adding mygig and satellite radio

So I just have the single disc player in my 09 Sahara. If I get a mygig pull and throw it in - will my sirius subscription still work? Is that a separate module that's plugged into the head unit now?

Thanks for the help.

Also - tubEXrube Did the sub hit harder after you relocated it?

Thanks.

#24 ·
So I just have the single disc player in my 09 Sahara. If I get a mygig pull and throw it in - will my sirius subscription still work? Is that a separate module that's plugged into the head unit now?

Thanks for the help.

Also - tubEXrube Did the sub hit harder after you relocated it?

Thanks.
You will have to switch your ID code to the new deck as the number is encoded in each unit. Should just be a phone call.......should.

#28 ·
If you want to have another option that I feel is a better option and very secure from theft, check out the JL Audio Stealthbox option. JL Audio is an amazing product. I know this is probably more costs than the Rockford solution shown but it will blow it away and still save space.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1610

#29 ·
Love the slim box on the gate. How much does it weigh? I ask because of oversized spare tire + sub box. Do you have an aftermarket bumper w/ tire carrier?

#30 · (Edited)
I'm torn between the JL setup or the Rockford setup but still trying to think of a nice, simple, functional, and safe mounting location for the amp. I want the amp concealed as much as possible too. Its tough figuring up all this stuff w/o being able to get in the dang jeep and make measurements!!!

The nice thing about the JL setup is with the Tuffy security deck enclosure (pending that it fits under it, which it looks like it will) you can lock that sucker up! Not that the rockford setup won't get locked up as well but I'd be afraid of any stuff in the cargo area rolling around and busting the sub open....the JL box shouldn't have that problem unless you're like the fella w/ a winch sittin in the back :grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

EDIT: I checked out another thread and checked the height of the same box you have and it should fit under the security deck enclosure. I was also thinking that if you flipped the box upside down and turned it so the sub faced the door (but keep the back part vertical with the mounts giving the box some stand off from the tailgate) you could keep all your junk/gear in the back from tumbling around and maybe busting up the sub itself. Im guessing it wouldn't sound too bad either...

What do you think about that plan? I'm thinking it should work out, but then again I can't even hop in my JK to make measurements :thefinger:

#32 · (Edited)
I've now replace my factory deck to a Alpine ixaw404 and pioneer speakers in the sound bar and alpine components in the front and a alpine amp to drive them all... installed the amp under the drivers seat similar to you...

Great Job on yours... have to add the sub to mine now..

Changed the pioneer speakers to R series Alpines... sound much better

#34 ·
Thats allot of cash but to each his own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.