JKOwners Forum banner

Bigger Tires, do I really need new rims too?

20K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  OneCav 
#1 · (Edited)
My Jeep is pretty much stock right now, but my 1st real mod will probably be a 4" lift and then getting some bigger tires.

So I was looking at this thread at some of your before/after pics:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14002

I noticed everyone along with getting the larger tires also got new rims to put them on. Well, I got the Sahara package and in that package it comes with 18" Rims. They are listed as 18"x 7.5". So my question is, do I really have to get new Rims for the larger tires or did you guys do this just to make your Jeep look more customized? Or is their some other reason for needing to get new rims?

I kind of like the stock rims and paid extra for the 18" ones that come with the Sahara package, so I'm just wondering if I really need to change them if I go to a larger tire.

#2 ·
"Need"? No.

Should you? That's debatable.

Consider this before jumping in...

• For the most part, 17" tires are going to be quite a bit cheaper than 18" tires.
  • You'll need 1.5" spacers if you go wider than 10.5" tire (I think that's a good rule of thumb on the width, but I might be corrected. Suffice it to say if you go to a 12.5" wide tire that you need the spacers to eliminate rub).
  • You'll get a bit better off road performance with minimal on road penalty going to 17" from 18" tires.
  • You'll get to find a nice set of wheels to compliment your Jeep tastes.
I'm sure there are more reasons, but that's a start.

#3 ·
I have the sahara as well. I actually took mine and got them blasted and powder coated. If you are going with a lift and wanna go with a 35" tire, your gonna have to get 1.5" wheel spaces to keep things from rubbing wrong. The 18" ers are gonna give you alot of rim to beat the heck out of on the trail through, bigger rim = less rubber ont he sides. You can do what I'm planning on doing get some $64 steel rims 16 or 17" and get the 35" tires lot more rubber and wont beat the crap out of the rims as much.

#4 ·
I've been running my 35x12.50s on my stock 17" Rubi rims with 1.5" spacers for a looong time with no problems

you'll need spacers to goto a 12.50 tire but otherwise they work fine.

I 2-toned mine for looks, but that's it.

#5 ·
Was cheaper for me to buy 5 new 16" wheels and tires then to buy the same tire alone in 18". Let alone have to spend $300 on wheel spacers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.