JKOwners Forum banner

Big Bend Trip

25K views 95 replies 18 participants last post by  RubiCajun 
#1 ·
Here are some pics from our trip to Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas. TexasKev and guest, Liquor and my son and I met up in San Antonio and drove straight thru. Brock (Liquor) and Kevin will post up some of the pics they took also. Enjoy. We did!

Attachments

See less See more
#43 ·
Ray, that owns Jeep Masters in Austin usually goes down there once a year. Austin Jeep Exclusive and SA Jeep Exclusive team up and run Longhorn Ranch. I know it's a fun place.

#45 · (Edited)
LOL I drove over the "rover ramp" in both directions and didn't even notice it! Thanks for the link!
Hope that crazy hard core off road land rover doesn't hurt itself:beer:

Did you see this guy's quote?
" If you are navigating this, or any other 4x4, area, and you are not sure where to "put your tires at" - especially if self navigating, then use the "wet rock" method to mark the rocks you want to hit. Don't use water, water is precious in the desert and you might need it to drink. Simply piss on the rocks that you want to mark to drive over..."

Stupid is as stupid does:beer:

#47 ·
GREAT WORK Brock. Love the music that you picked. Thanks soooo much! I'm sending this video link to all my friends:beer:

#48 ·
GREAT WORK Brock. Love the music that you picked. Thanks soooo much! I'm sending this video link to all my friends:beer:
NP, came out good. i created it in the 1080p format and youtube will automatically convert it to the lower formats. all work so far.

i tried to get the clips chuck made but the sound was bad in the movie maker. so they didnt make the final cut. they play fine bythemselves though. odd.

also the info never showed up.

#49 · (Edited)
there got the info displayed now.

it was DUSTY. we all mentioned it looked like 3 tornados going down the road when we got off the trial on onto pavement. LoL mycarpet is out for a fatmat install so ill get thsoe cleaned tomorrow.

the trails took a day each. mostly due to the long drive to the trail heads. mostly easy trails with some moderate obsticals. but there are so many trails that we didnt get a chance to do any others. i think we all will agree we had a great time.

yes we were in a pink condo. the town of Terlingua reminded me of "Tremors" that 80's Kevin Bacon movie. we kept looking for Reba. LoL

The bar was kick ass. had that "From Dusk Till Dawn" feel and look. cheap beer, good food, and live music.

Black Gap was the first and 2nd trails we did. very easy but we got a laugh when hearing about a land rover vid on youtube. it explained how to get through black gap in a land rover. the guys took some time stacking up all the rocks. LoL. as you can see in the photos, i would rate it a 0 trail.:thefinger: thats "Land Rover Pass"

#51 ·
the guys took some time stacking up all the rocks. LoL. as you can see in the photos, i would rate it a 0 trail.:thefinger: thats "Land Rover Pass"
Just so y'all know.....next time I get out there, I'm removing ALL of those rocks. :)

Alan- I haven't been to Longhorn Ranch- just heard good things about it from some of the guys in AJE.

:beer:

#53 ·
Looks like you guys had a blast! The lady and I spent about a week over in the State Park in March, weather was the exact opposite - cold and rainy =)

I agree though about the difficulty, the only time that BGP is "hard" is during or right after a heavy rainstorm.

If you don't mind, here's a crappy little home-video from the BBRSP trip we took in March: Spring trip to Big Bend Ranch SP on Vimeo

!c

#56 ·
Really nice video. Strange music.....very appropriate. Cloud shadows looked cool rolling across the terrain. That road looks to be pretty high up.

:beer:

#57 ·
Ayuh the "high road" video and the time-lapse were shot on the trail into the Solitario (coming back out, near the entrance). I'd not recommend taking more than two vehicles at a time on the high path - unless you like the idea of coming out backwards. =) (if you connect up to the low path instead, it'll be easier for a bigger group) There's only about 10' x 15' to turn around at the end, with a nice drop-off.

Stu - the music is by the band called muslimgauze -- the album was Bandit Queen, I think, can't remember which track.

... I can't wait to go back =)

!c

#58 ·
RubiCajun and TexKev lets see if we can get another Big Bend run this spring.

I'm attending EJS and Jeep Beach again and most likely Camp MJ again. I need to get a run at the superlift orv park in hot springs arkansas as well. maybe we can get a couple more jeeps to come with us. get 2 pink condos and a bar-b-que pit/big grill and cook out a couple of days.

there are plenty of trails to explore that we missed the last time. plus the adventure of the whole thing was a blast!

#59 ·
I'm planning on it as of now. Hope things don't change, cause I really want to this. Seems like other stuff always comes up. At least I'll be trying to make this one.

I'd love to explore the SP but either would be cool.

#60 ·
Guess we ought to start planning this thing now. I guess I'll start PM'ing youze guys so we can nail down a date. When ya'll left me and chuck last year the temps shot up into the 100's, 113 one day and 115 the next. kinda of cooled off saturday nite while camping up on the Chisos. Next morning a ******* thunderstorm hit up and chuck and i barely got all our shit packed back into Freebird before the shit hit the fan. long drive back to La. OK, here's to another good trip.:beer: Neal, you are more than welcome to join us, the more the merrier. :D

#61 ·
the last 2 weeks of may should be good for me. i also need to hammer down dates for trail runs around the country.

#63 ·
If Ron brings his meat, then I am DEFINITELY in.

JMO- The earlier the better. May is going to be getting hot. Few years ago, I was there at the end of April, and it was already over 110 in the desert. I was hiking though....so maybe not a big deal in the Jeeps.

This post has been deleted
#64 ·
Not sure about the sat-phone. I would make my calls from a pay-phone at Castellon or Panther Junction, or Chisos basin every few days when I would head back in to the NP for gas, food, ice, and showers.

But of course, that meant no emergency contact. The more Jeeps that come, the less likely that emergency contact will be needed imo. Would take rescue/ EMS a hell of a long time to get to us in the back country anyway.

If I meet up with you guys.....I would be more than willing to pay into the sat-phone. Can't imagine it would cost that much- idk.

Whiskey/ knife/ shotgun/ fishing line is not gonna make for very comfortable first aid. :laughing::bawling:

I'm in for anytime in May- just going to be hot in the daytime.

I stayed at the "Bates Motel" just outside of Study Butte a few times when I was there.....but tent-camped most of the time, which was pretty fun.

I'll be driving my heep also. Even with a tow rig/ trailer.....I really don't trust leaving one sitting for too long unattended. Break-ins and vehicle thefts are the norm down there.

#65 ·
Man, I wanna do this trip bad, and I am trying to have at least one good jeep vacation this year. Right now I have been looking at EJS and Jeep Beach (both roughly the same distance) and EJS is currently winning out since I have never been to Moab. I'll have to think a little more on it and see what I wanna do.

#67 · (Edited)
Dates for:

Easter Jeeps Safari - April 16-24th
Jeep Beach - May 11th - 15th

How would the first week of May work with everyone's schedule? I'm taking the weather and fuel prices into concideration.

#68 ·
Dates for:

Jeep Beach - May 14-19th

How would the first week of May work with everyone's schedule? I'm taking the weather and fuel prices into concideration.
PM's sent. That would work for me- not sure if JB or EJS is going to conflict w/ anyone's sched. I'm guessing that gas is only going to be about $3.60- $3.80 gal by then. I don't think we'll see $5 anytime soon, although $4 gal may not too far off base by June- July.

I haven't yet contacted anyone from AJE or SAJE to see when they are going to do Longhorn Ranch.....but as much as I think that would be cool.....I would be just as happy with the JKO group at BB NP or SP.

Up to y'all.

#70 ·
That would be damn cool if you could make it, Larry. Hope you can. :beer:

#72 · (Edited)
Adventure trailer? Oh hell no, you have to stay in Allen's (RubiCajun) gay ass pink condo like we did last year:beer:

#78 ·

Jeep Beach - May 11th - 15th

updated Jeep Beach dates - so that first week of May will work for me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.