JKOwners Forum banner

Replacing Transmission Lines

47K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  bitslinger 
#1 ·
Well, it seems that my auto tranny lines are weeping/leakng. Has anybody replaced these yet? How hard for the shadetree mechanic to do it?

TIA!

#8 ·
Is it leaking from the rubber/metal junction? Iv heard of people hacking off those clamp sections, flaring the pipe, and clamping a new rubber hose on. I think I read it in the LONG transmission cooler writeup thread on "the other forum".

#11 ·
I'm in.
Last monday was -30c and the line to the cooler burst around the rubber/metal joint (just behind the cooler).
Dealer checked it yesterday and they ordered new lines.
Still under warranty but the parts were 92$ for both lines.
Repair to be done next week.

#13 ·
We replaced these lines on yellow08rubicon's Jeep last weekend. They were also leaking from the junction where the rubber lines meet the metal lines. The removal/replacement was not very hard at all. You pull the little plastic cover off each end, then there is a small clip (like the ones that hold on window cranks) that has to be pushed out of the collars. Make sure you catch these when they go flying, they didn't come with his replacement lines. Give the line a tug and they pop them out of the tranny/radiator. The lines will leak fluid for a minute, but the lower opening of the tranny will leak until you place the new line into it, so make sure you have a quart of fluid to top it off before you drive away. The installation is just the opposite and it took us about 30 minutes to do (we had the Jeep up on lift). He contacted Peter at JustforJeeps.com for the lines, I can't remember how much he paid though. Hope that help!

#15 ·
I had the same problem with mine and when I was at the dealer for work on a recall I mentioned that they have been leaking and the replaced them under warranty for free.

#21 ·
I was thinking about taking a pair of metal tubing cutters and cutting that dumbass flare fitting off, and using clamps, and some barb fittings to fix the damn things. Are the new part # differant than the one that is currently on these things, if not I bet you will have the same problem a few thousand miles later:pissed:

#28 ·
Any tips on how to access the lines? Where did you get the tool to disconnect the lines? For those of you that cut and flared, did you remove the lines or just work on them while connected in the Jeep?

Lay it on me, I want to know what you know!:grinpimp:

#29 ·
clip in a fitting?

I thought there was a clip in the nut, and the net screwed into the transmission. if you can get to the clip, pull it out, and the line should pop out at the transmission. put the clip back in, put the new line in and your done.

Is there something else you need?

#30 ·
I thought there was a clip in the nut, and the net screwed into the transmission. if you can get to the clip, pull it out, and the line should pop out at the transmission. put the clip back in, put the new line in and your done.

Is there something else you need?
well, i haven't seen a clip. i've seen the plastic cover, popped one of those off, didn't see a clip. i was more wondering how to get to the fittings themselves. did you take out the front driveshaft to get to the fittings on the transmission? remove the overflow bottle to get to the front fittings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.