JKOwners Forum banner

jeep yard 4bt conversion

99K views 484 replies 89 participants last post by  xplosivo1 
#1 ·
We call it the jeep yard dog. The diesel jk is here ! JK to cummins

#465 ·
Been reading a lot into this. I love the Cummins b series engines. They are bulletproof, and will last more than 350000 if well maintained. There are a few issues that concern me about it. I have installed powerful engines into smaller vehicles, and they ran great- for a while. We had to install subframe connectors on a Nova 2 because the hard launching of the car caused the body to twist(this was a unibody). The 4bt weighs a lot, with a lot of torque. I wonder if over time this could happen here. Also-how often will the front springs need to be changed or re-arced? This much weight will cause them to fail prematurely.

And as far as the cost. Here is my estimate:

My rubicon- 30,000
the kit- 9800
the engine 6500(please tell me you wouldn't put a used engine in spending this kind of money)
the transmission and clutch(manual) 2500
The lift kit- 1600(I think this is mandatory)
The labor- 4000(Again-with this kind of money I would want it perfect)

This is 54,400 dollars for a vehicle that will in know way pass a smog check. The engine upgrade comes to 24400, almost the price of the vehicle itself.

I realize Jeff has some serious money in engineering this, and he has done a great job. I would love love love to have this rig, but it is awful risky. What jeff has got me wanting to do is sell the JK, buy an older jeep, and put this engine in it without the CAN BUS bs. And if I go this route I would sure want jeff to do it. I would have rather seen the CAN BUS eliminated, because any JK owner who really goes off road with his jeep knows the ABS and ESP systems are going to give us fits if we keep the vehicle a long time.

#474 ·
Hello Everyone,
We do apologize for not being available for the last three months. We have been diligently working on perfecting all of our applications for the Diesel Conversion in the JK. We also built the Diesel Bruiser for SEMA and are happy to say that the response was tremendous. We first want to thank all of our sponsors for your support, TERAFLEX,TOYOTIRES,RIDGED INDUSTRIES,HUTCHINS,OX,LINEX,RIVER RAIDER,WARN,JW SPEAKER.That being said I would like to bring everyone up to speed on what has been going on with our new company. We have started a new company that specializes in diesel conversions in all jeep applications CJ, YJ, TJ, and of corse the JK. Being that this is a JK site I will key in on the new products and information on JK only and if you have any interest in the other models you can PM me and I can direct you to that information. As everyone that has followed this thread knows we have been Installing the 4BT cummins diesel engine into the 2007-10 JK with the option of a 4 speed overdrive 700 Raptor automatic as well as a New Venture 4500 5 speed manual application. I am happy to announce that we have some new options now available. Our engineers have accomplished a communication system to over come the 2011 computer system as well as the 2012 for the cummins conversion. On the 2012 JK application we have found that the aw580 transmission that comes factory with the JK has the potential to stand up to the torque parameters of even a performance level upgraded diesel conversion in our facility which allows you, the consumer to save a considerable amount on a conversion with the understanding that a transmission and broached tail shaft as well as an adapter is not necessary for that application. The stock aw580 requires a few upgrades to bring it to the level of a performance Chrysler engineered 6.4 challenger platform of internals. We also have a 6 speed GM transmission upgrade that will allow a much more fluid transition between gears and also gives you paddle shift capability and slightly better fuel economy . We are also working closely with Diesel Emissions Tech. and Cummins Engine suppliers as well as engineers to produce a 4.5 front gear driven stroker b series diesel engine that has past emissions in Sacramento California with a diesel scrubber,The engines are more efficient and have less outputs then the 3.8 gas version. We are also in the process of manufacturing a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which even cleans the emissions output more then the Scrubber. Its great to be able to have the time again to communicate with interested diesel conversion clients , but just to keep the gas guys happy our computer system also allows any gm ls series engine to work with a JK as well as we also average 5 HEMI conversions a month In our facilities ,watch for our feature in the up coming months on Four Wheel Drive and Sport Utility. Remember we are Jeep JK enthusiasts not just Diesel advocators, We love the 6.4 conversions as well as the GM LS conversions and have the capability and expertise to produce a factory like conversion for all applications!

#484 ·
Jeff thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me last week and take me out in the Bruiser.

I have some photos (not as many good shots as I'd like, as my excitement made me forget how to use my camera) and would like to write about my experience.

should I start a new thread? or post up here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.