JKOwners Forum banner

Best replacement steering stabilizer?

71K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  jvandy50 
#1 ·
So today while wheelin I decided to hit a frozen mud pit and I'm 90% sure I blew out my stock stabilizer. (for hittting 3 inches of ice I'm surprised that's all I broke) So I'm between the Fox 2" factory performance, the old man emu and the Bilstein HD monotube. What do you guys think? I didnt want to spend like 200+ on a stabilizer upgrade. The cheaper the better. Thanks.

#4 ·
I just get a 'heavy duty' one from Auto Zone for about 40 bucks. No need to spend big bucks on a high dollor one. If you have death wobble don't make the mistake of thinking that a better stabilizer will fix it.

#5 ·
I see no reason in the gas charged ones. Lots of money for something like those is a pretty big waste. Besides that, there is no need to have the stabilizer always trying to push the steering to the left like the gas ones do. Honestly, if your junk is properly built, you don't need a stabilizer at all. Not to say it doesn't help if a tire catches something to take some of the jolt out of the steering, but that's really all it's doing and nothing more.

#8 ·
Stockers and many others are just a dampener. You can push the shaft to any spot along it's travel and it won't move after you take your hands off it. A pressurized one will always fully extend, like many gas shocks will.

Some say they feel it and some don't. Some have gone so far as stating it actually pushes their vehicle to the left if they let go of the steering wheel.

I've had gas ones and I didn't personally feel it. However, I ended up damaging those as I did any other steering stabilizer. Therefore, I feel it's just wasted money to get the higher cost gas charged ones like the Fox. There is no performance advantage. As mentioned by someone else, some are rebuildable so this may be worth while IF you don't manage to damage it. It's my opinion to save the money and buy a cheaper one that will do the job just as well.

#10 ·
I think the Procomp is the cheapest at $35

Old Man Emu #OMESD48.
Skyjacker is #7003.
Rubicon Express #RXT2000-JK
ProComp #220500
Rancho #RS5407
Teraflex #1513001
Superlift #92085
Superlift gas charged #92115
Tuff Country #65490
Rough Country #84318
Bilstein #24-158428

Reactions: CTarna
#11 · (Edited)
I was using the Pro Comp OEM replacement until recently. I had a full truss/drag link flip installed last month and had them throw on an Old Man Emu. Honestly, I can't tell a difference, probably because the truss/drag link were installed at the same time. The only real advantage over the two is that the OME has a metal dust cover for the piston; the Pro Comp's piston is exposed.

I switched to the OME because I trust their products, practically every Pro Comp product I have had in the past on trucks/Jeep's gave me some kind of trouble over the years. I bought the Pro Comp 2 years ago because my stocker was DOA and it was in stock ($35).

One advantage of the Pro Comp is that it is roughly the same diameter as the stocker. stays out of the way of the drag link/track bar better.

BTW, the OME #OMESD40 also works on the JK.

#13 ·
What caster/toe in are you running? If your having issues with it wandering (shoulders, crowns, etc.), a steering stablizer isn't the real answer. Not trying to second guess you, just sounds like you may have other issues.

#14 ·
A SS is an SS to me, and I will be buying Bilstein when the funds are available to waste ONLY because it will "match" my bilstein shocks.

There are no performance gains and honestly, I see no need for it...especially if your JK is aligned properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.