JKOwners Forum banner

ABS Sensor/wheel speed sensor

31K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  mtnmedic 
#1 ·
BAD NEWS
Well, I broke the ABS sensor that mounts to my front left disc assembly. Now my jeep is lighting up like x-mas tree. I was all over the road today from the broken sensor. I think it(Jeep Brain) was thinking I was in a perpetual slide and tried braking the various wheels to compensate. Either way, it was hard to just drive straight.

GOOD NEWS
they only cost $15 per front side :grinpimp: and I pick it up in the morning:D:bounce:

That is all.

#6 ·
I just had mine break when I was replacing the ball joints on the driver side. it just made the abs and esp lights come on. Drove it for 3 days till the new one came in didn't have a problem. Popped the new one in reconnected it drove about 50 ft and all my idiot lights went back off.

#9 ·
  • Remove tire
  • Remove caliper
  • Remove rotor
  • You will see the sensor at this point. Just follow the ABS wire down to where it bolts in just the housing. There is a single Allen head bolt. I forget the size offhand.
  • Remove bolt
  • CAREFULLY remove sensor from housing (they break easily)
  • fanagal it out of the hole in the dust sheild
  • follow the cable up behind the shock tower where you will find a clip to unhook cable
  • Tease your cat for a while with the old wiring
  • reverse directions to install new sensor being super carefull when you insert it and be sure to keep debris from falling in the open hole.

I don't recall if the new ones come pre lubed??

#12 ·
I just saw this thread, so after my recent battery replacement which only temporarily solved all my lights going off; I had a code scan done which gave me U1110 and U1120. So now I am pretty sure it is the sensor which is bad, but how do I know which one it is?

Also, does anyone know what the part number is so I know what to order?

thanks

#13 ·
mtnmedic, your trouble codes refer to communications over CAN bus C, not the wheel sensors. Wheel sensor problem codes are preceded by the letter C, not U. The FSM says your codes are a problem with the Powertrain control module, the antilock brake module, or the wiring in between. If it was the wiring, you should have a lost communications code too.

To me, it sounds like the ABS module is still confused from having a bad battery. I would try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if that will reset the problem. Did you clear all trouble codes after the battery replacement? Does the ABS system still actually work? How about ESP?

#14 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. I just found my .iso FSM and burned it to a disk this morning but didn't seem to find a reference to the codes. what section did you see it in.

I haven't tried to see if the ABS is still working, but will slam on my brakes on a dirt road tomorrow and see it it activates. It's pretty frustrating as I am outside of my warranty and any stealership is sure to jack me if I cant figure this out.

I'll let you know tomorrow about the ABS.

#17 ·
Every time I run the FSM, Vista gives me a warning on top of my screen that says "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer. Click here for options". Then I have to allow the blocked content to open the manual.

#18 ·
well, I too am running Vista on this machine and 7 on by backup. Luckily the FSM seems to run fine with Firefox in Internet Explorer mode. I remember when I first got the FSM, they said don't update IE because it would only run on pre version 8. i haven't tried it on the Windows 7 machine yet.

Typical chrylser.

#20 ·
oh, I'm already a pro at doing that. it will clear the codes for a day or so and then sometimes, without even hitting a bump or crack in the road, i get the christmas lights. the lights flash and then the esp, BAS (i think) usually stay on until I turn the jeep off, then when i get it back on, the check engine light is on.

I love driving it when the BRAKE light is on, I always check to make sure the emergency brake didnt somehow pull itself on!

#21 ·
My Jeep is showing a "configuration" code due to my electronic sway bar system being replaced with a Currie anti-rock. The dealer says that the is the reason for my "wheel speed sensor calibration" code. I find it hard believe since everything worked fine for 18 months. Now I can't get rid of the ESP/BAS and ABS lights. Any idea what a "wheel speed calibration" code means? Is there a different code if a sensor is broken? I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow for yet another look but they are having a hard time figuring it out.

#22 ·
The dealer service manager looked at the Jeep today. They are still blaming the ESP/BAS and ABS lights on the missing electronic sway bar. They say the ESP module is looking for the sway bar system which has been removed. It's frustrating because I seem to be the only one with this problem and my warranty is just about up. Any suggestions?

#23 ·
there are others on here that have made the sway bar manual with a switch. hope they will chime in because i would think that taking the circuit board out of the sway bar would be like not having it at all if it were hooked up to the computer on the jeep.

#24 ·
The dealer's service department has the means of removing the ASBS option code from the vehicles computer with the Chrysler scan tool. That way the computer won't look for the Final Drive Control Module.

The following info is from the FSM

C123A–ESP SYSTEM SENSORS CALIBRATION
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

When Monitored:
Once per ignition cycle.

Set Condition:
If the calculated checksum does not match the stored checksum.

Possible Causes

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES MODULE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diagnostic Test
1. INITIALIZE ANTI-LOCK BRAKES MODULE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initialize ECU refer to ABS VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 5 - BRAKES - STANDARD PROCEDURE).

Does this DTC reset?

Yes

Replace the Anti-Lock Brake Module in accordance with the Service Information.
Perform ABS VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 5 - BRAKES - STANDARD PROCEDURE).

No

Test complete.

#25 ·
Here are the codes the Jeep is showing:

1. ABS C2206 Vehicle Configuration Mismatched

2. ABS C123A ESP System Sensors Calibration

3. TIPM U1159 Lost Communication with Automatic Sway Bar System

The dealer says "these codes cannot be erased and the lights will not go out until the sway bar system is back in the vehicle". Hard to figure because the sway bar system has been out of the Jeep for 2 years with no problems.

#26 ·
I would try calling some other service departments to see if they know how to do it. I'm thinking your dealer is just trying to pad his pockets by selling you a new bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.