JKOwners Forum banner

1940-1950s David Bradley Camping/Utility Trailer Build

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Bubblegoose1 
#1 ·
I have had a few questions regard this trailer; thought I would post a build thread for it.
I recently picked-up this trailer to start a camping/expedition trailer build. I was not able to identify the trailer model at first, but it just seemed like a cool, light weight trailer. It only weighs 450 as it sits now.
I was able to find some info on "Ben Hur" and Sears/David Bradley trailers. I think I have one, but there are no ID plates on it. It was titled as a 1968 Homebuilt, but I think it is a 1950s possibly. It appears to be in very good, fairly original condition. I'm loving this little trailer so far.

Here she is:
The Craigslist ad photos

First pics after pick-up

Cool jerry can

Plywood in the bed, with multiple bolts. Why, Why, Why??

Plywood removed. Not too bad. Whew!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Additional inspection photos
One small area of rust; the rest of the bed is just surface

Treated full bed with rust converter, for now. Then bedline spray, so that I can use the trailer now.

Not original fenders, wheels or tires ;)

Undercarriage needs some help, but appears to be original

Removed spare

Added a recycled 4x6 rubber mat from Lowes; easily pulled out. It is a great fit, without cutting. 22oz black tarp on order as well, to keep things dry.

#3 ·
Short notice camping trip planned as couple weeks ago; quickly scored a 6' Sportz III truck tent (for Dodge Dakota ext cab, or similar trucks) off Craigslist for $100. Worked very well. :wings:

First setup in driveway

Double air mattress; perfect fit

Lots of headroom

It's going to be a slow build since I am lacking a garage and shop, but it will get done.

Test fitted a set of 35 BFGs. Will be adding a little more fender clearance once the whole trailer is sandblasted and modifications begin.
New vs. what was on there

#4 ·
Over the weekend:
1) checked the bearings and repacked them, for now. Will be replacing axle and hubs this Winter.
2) tack welded a loose wheel stud
3) installed both 35s
4) installed 6x8 22oz black tarp. Ordered a 5x7; 6x8 is a little too big for the tub, but worth having for larger loads.
5) adjusted hitch height; may lower an inch or two. Would like the trailer to sit just above level, so when the Jeep is loaded everything is level.

#5 ·
Minor add to the tongue. I have this receiver-mount Pet-Step from a previous vehicle. Have been trying to figure out what to do with it for years. Makes a nice aluminum step or platform area. So, I added it to the extra receiver that had been welded to the tongue. Worked out nicely. Will probably store the wheel chocks there, with a pin.

More to come as time and funds allow. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.