JKOwners Forum banner

Where is the WCM located?

66K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Demon 
#1 ·
My 08 JK is having the intermittent "no crank" issue. Its done this since new and is well documented at the dealer but now that it has gone out of the bumper to bumper the issue has gotten worse and chrysler is not standing behind their product, not surprising.

I want to replace the WCM myself. Is this a DIY repair or will it need to be programmed?

How much does the WCM cost, How badly will the dealer rape me?

Where is it located?

#2 ·
The Ecu/ecm?
I have an appointment on monday to reflash mine. Hopefully it clears up an issue I created.
I checked the net and confirmed w/dealer. You can buy and install a replacement but it must be programmed with your vin. B&G sells them (others do also) so they may be able to provide info as to how to physically swap them. My understanding is that it is not overly difficult.

#3 ·
Not the ECU:shaking:

The "Wireless Control Module"

My JK will not start/crank at times. There is a TSB about the WCM getting hit with static electricity when the key is inserted and it causes a "no crank" issue.

I have had it into the dealer no less than 5 times for this issue(had it towed in once) since I bought it new in Nov 08. Now that it is out of the 3-36 bumper to bumper warranty they are refusing to cover the repair under warranty. I refuse to give those pricks a red cent.

I am a diesel mechanic and do all of my own repairs to my older Jeeps so I might as well get my feet wet right now and fix this issue and start learning something about this pile of junk Jeep that I own. I believe this is just the beginning of a whole lot of issues.

#4 ·
Okay, I found this with a google search; This describes my condition exactly

"2008 Wrangler Unlimited: Will not start after a short drive.

Will not start after a short drive. The starter engages for a very short time then just stops. It has been looked at by the Dealer four times now and still no solution. They have replaced sensors and control modules, no luck. We just went to pick it up from the Dealer [5 Start Dealer] and it wouldn't start. They hooked up the diagnostics computer which showed nothing. with the computer still connected it still would not start and the computer did not help. We kept the key turned to the starting position and the computer showed that that it was in the starting mode and thats it. It acts like a bad battery, however, the battery is OK and ever other electrical device in the vehicle works when the Jeep doesn't start. Sometimes it takes more than thirty [30] tries before it finally starts. The Dealer does not know what to do."

Answer from a CJD SF;

"Seen this problem before. Here is your solution im the foreman for a jeep dealership.

During cranking/starting, the ignition switch voltage should drop to about 0.4 to 0.5volts and the switch status should show start/crank. If the ignition switch status shows FF, that is an undermined switch status. The ignition switch voltage is supplied by a voltage regulator (5volts) with-in the WCM (WIRELESS CONTROL MODULE). This regulator not only feeds the ignition switch with voltage, but if the vehicle has remote start, it all so powers the WCM antenna. So, items that affect the ignition switch voltage readings would include the power or ground circuits to the WCM, ignition switch and the WCM antenna. The WCM antenna can short and take down the ignition switch voltage. A shorted antenna can cause issues with the WCM functioning properly, i.e. starting and or key programming. Check antenna wire for damage or try and unplug the WCM antenna and recheck the ignition switch voltage.
Take this copy to your dealership and check for radio interference. Good luck with your wrangler got an 08 4 door rubicon I have not had this problem with mine yet. Hope this helps you please rate it."

Then another person added this;

"had the same prob on my 2008 quick fix buy a neg battery cable thats open looped on both ends connect one end to the neg battery post and the other to the bracket holding the alternater. very quick and will sole your problem."

I'm going to try the ground strap idea, can't hurt!

I also plan on looking at the WCM antenna if I can find it but if its shorted that falls on Jeep and they should stand behind it IMHO.

#5 ·
I have an 07 Rubicon automatic and mine does this on occasion and if I just bump the shifter either forward or back (not take it out of park or move it at all) just give it a bump it starts right up. I have been told there is a range sensor in the transmission that acts like the old neutral safety switches in older Jeeps. It is inside the transmission or I would have fixed it already! If you have an auto bump the shifter next time and see if it starts.

#6 ·
Its done this since new and is well documented at the dealer but now that it has gone out of the bumper to bumper the issue has gotten worse and chrysler is not standing behind their product,
I have had it into the dealer no less than 5 times for this issue(had it towed in once) since I bought it new in Nov 08. Now that it is out of the 3-36 bumper to bumper warranty they are refusing to cover the repair under warranty. I refuse to give those pricks a red cent.
If it is so well documented at the dealer why not drop a call to the 1-877-426-5337 (1-877-IAM-JEEP) line? But then again who's to say the dealer plays no idea who this guy is routine.

#9 ·
Well the range sensor makes sense! Last night when it did this I turned the key to run and shifted the trans into neutral and it started right up.

I have the factory remote start and I have had issues with that not working simultaneously when the no crank with a key happens.

#12 ·
I had this happen right in front of my local dealer on a Sunday. Figured it was a key issue. Wouldn't crank and the remote would not work in any mode. Tried the spare key, no difference. Went back home for my tools and checked the web. I found a thread on another forum that discussed this issue, and offered a simple workaround that works:

- Lift the hood, open the fuse box
- Lift up fuse J13 (big white double fuseholder near the center of the box) until it is unplugged from the fuse panel. It will stop before you can pull it all the way out. Just lift it to the stops
- Wait 30 seconds
- Push the fuse holder back in until it seats

Rig will start right up.

I went into my dealer and told them what happened and what I'd found on the web. Their tech knew immediately what the issue was and replaced the WCM under warranty. OP, your dealership is a pack of douchebags. Take it to another dealer and ask them to fix it under goodwill. If they refuse, call the Chrysler Customer Center and raise hell. This is a well documented issue with a TSB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.