JKOwners Forum banner

Safety Inspection & Recon Inspection

31K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  CHIEFJK 
#1 ·
Moving to Hawaii & need to know all what I need to pass Hawaii Safety Inspection & Recon. I am Military & vehicle is currently registered in VA.

This is my Jeep:

See less See more
#36 ·
I appreciate it! I'm still on the fence about the Trail Mod flares, Because I like how the inners look by themselves. I have a buddy up here who runs just the inners & it looks sick! If I do go with the Trail Mods I will only have to worry about the mud flaps. Hopefully you are still on the island when I get there so we can hit some trails up!

#39 ·
Bumping this to the top. I hope you guys can help as well. I have a YJ with a 3" body lift and 33x12.50 that stick out past the flares by about an inch. I have read that the body lift will fail. True? The tires? Is there anyone out there that wants to lend me some smaller tires for recon? What's the deal with mud flaps? I see so many other vehicles here already without any of this stuff it boggles my mind. Well any help from you guys that have been here a little longer is a huge blessing. Thanks in advance. Retired Navy.

**Edit** I can't add any "extenders" to the flares since they are thin and have no mounting surface. Plus they are already pretty wide.

#43 · (Edited)
Moving to Oahu

Hey so I'm a noob and on my way to Oahu April 28th. I got a stock 13 Rubicon for now. Good infer on the inspection. I shouldn't have any problem with inspection at all. However I am looking for a Jeep "club" in Oahu to go wheeling with and get to know the island and what it has to offer. Im looking for a place out there as well, any ideas on area on the windward side would be appreciated. PM me if you could with any advice if you could thanks.

#44 ·
Hey so I'm a noob and on my way to Oahu April 28th. I got a stock 13 Rubicon for now. Good infer on the inspection. I shouldn't have any problem with inspection at all. However I am looking for a Jeep "club" in Oahu to go wheeling with and get to know the island and what it has to offer. Im looking for a place out there as well, any ideas on area on the windward side would be appreciated. PM me if you could with any advice if you could thanks.

sending...

#47 ·
As of last year, you can run out-of-state plates....prior to that you had to get Hawaii plates. What they have in place is a $10 "big blue sticker" that you have to put on your bumper in addition to Georgia registration fees. You still have to pass hawaii safety inspection and with your lift/tires you will have to go through RECON. Get some garden trim from walmart to extend your flares over your tires (can't have more than 3/4" of tread past your fenders), and then mud flaps. Stand 6' behind your vehicle and see how much tread of your tires you can see. If you can see more than 1/2 of it, put the mud flaps on and adjust down to wear you can't see more than half from 6' behind the vehicle.

EVERYONE who isn't from Oahu has to go through it....this year starting in November they cracked down on RECON and safety rules taking it back to a Hawaii wide (even the other islands) requirement for any modified vehicle to go through. They will take 360 degree photos of your vehicle at safety inspection and have to upload it into this database during safety inspection. Then the inspector has to hit "send" where the pictures will transfer back to a 3rd party reviewer in Colorado to ensure the safety offices are properly complying with state safety inspection law. Once the safety inspector hits "send" the machine will print out your safety inspection. No more hand made tags and "one eye closed" inspections.

I just left Oahu a few weeks ago on military PCS....if you come across any changes/updates, be sure to post them up for others to know.

#50 ·
JR

My JK just arrived and I was searching out some easy ways to pass the safety inspection. I have the same deal with tires sticking out past stock fenders and a lift kit. I am in the military and looking to borrow or rent the essentials to get my Jeep through inspection. The last thing I want to permanently install is large fat fenders and mud flaps.

I work on Hickam but can meet up anywhere in the local area that is convenient. Would be nice if we got a pass, it gets old bouncing from state to state and modifying your ride for the next state's requirements.

First time on the this forum.

Thanks, JR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.