Transmission Oil Temperature - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Stock JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
bigapplephx
Wheeler

Member # 6298
Transmission Oil Temperature

JK Wrangler Rubicon,
At what temperature does the transmission hot oil light come on ??
bigapplephx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Coley
Wheeler

Member # 9896
Never had the warning come on for mine, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge had it as high as 216 while towing. Normally around 150-170 highway, 195 in town.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Coley
Wheeler

Member # 9896
Need to get a cooler for towing. On the trails in 4LO it's rarely above 180, as low as 140 if there's deep enough water crossings.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Need to get a cooler for towing. On the trails in 4LO it's rarely above 180, as low as 140 if there's deep enough water crossings.
4-low takes most of the load of the trans and should yield cooler trans temps. Load gets moved to the t-case and drive axles.

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Goodysgotacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Uncle Sams Misguided Child
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Member # 12861
I never had mine come on. I got an aeroforce to monitor it though. Freeway no hills maybe 165. Around town stop and go 185. I do have a cooler though installed before I got the aeroforce so no idea what I was running before.

Get the cooler and call it a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
when it's your turn to fuck the cat you can name the kittens.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapplephx View Post
JK Wrangler Rubicon,
I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer. I know I've read it before somewhere.
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I count ten rounds on target for a moving vehicle in low light. How is this woman single?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
gold knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
jocrazy0
Rock God

Member # 150
I'd be curious to know... I have had my trans temp up in the 240's range and no light. Then again I was trying to push in reverse my big assed E3 trailer up my driveway.... and YES I have a trans cooler. Even had the fan on. There just is not enough oil flow in reverse to keep it cool. I have seen smoke coming off the thing before so it makes me wonder if the trans flash even works with my early '07.

BTW. 240 used to be the high end of "normal" in older transmissions and 260+ was "HOT". So I do not know what the JK temp sensor trip is at which all of us are curious about.
2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
jocrazy0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
I don't know when the light goes on either, but...

The computer considers the transmission to be overheated above 240F,
and super-overheated above 260F.

jocrazy0,
Did you say you got the trans temp warning recall done on your "07?
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Daniel_M
Rock God

Member # 13529
B&M transmission cooler. Cheap, easy install.

-Dan
Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
jocrazy0
Rock God

Member # 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I don't know when the light goes on either, but...

The computer considers the transmission to be overheated above 240F,
and super-overheated above 260F.

jocrazy0,
Did you say you got the trans temp warning recall done on your "07?
As far as I can determine yes. I received the overheat recall notice and took it in IIRC, I have taken it in for every recall. I find three sheets for transmission work where a "flash" was performed but I cannot identify specifically which one was for the overheat. That was a long time back, again IIRC.
2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
Old 08-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
As far as I can determine yes. I received the overheat recall notice and took it in IIRC, I have taken it in for every recall. I find three sheets for transmission work where a "flash" was performed but I cannot identify specifically which one was for the overheat. That was a long time back, again IIRC.
Lots of people with '07's said they didn't get the temp warning recall, so I was thinking they wouldn't do it on an '07.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
sdaly
Wheeler

Member # 11911
Oh goody! Yet *ANOTHER* transmission hot oil thread. This should be fun. (where's the eating-popcorn and watching the show emoticon to insert here?)

Oh and no, my hot oil indicator has never come on either, but it probably comes on when the temperature is a little too hot.
sdaly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Okay I read 270 in a thread on wranglerforum. That seems high and could be totally wrong, the op was confused about what the hot oil recall actually did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaly View Post
Oh goody! Yet *ANOTHER* transmission hot oil thread. This should be fun. (where's the eating-popcorn and watching the show emoticon to insert here?)

Oh and no, my hot oil indicator has never come on either, but it probably comes on when the temperature is a little too hot.
And what stock tech did you offer this tech thread? Actually this was a direct question followed by lots of off-topic answers and two or three on topic

No need for popcorn just yet.
I count ten rounds on target for a moving vehicle in low light. How is this woman single?
Quote:

Last edited by gold knight; 08-18-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
sdaly
Wheeler

Member # 11911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
And what stock tech did you offer this tech thread?
If this site had a pot-stirring emoticon, I'd insert it here.

Anyway to the original topic...This is like asking, at how many quarts low does the oil pressure light come on? With the exception of a rare factory defect, you should never see the oil pressure light or the "hot oil" message if you are operating and maintaining your JK properly..and if they do come on, there's a good chance that the damage has already been done.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaly View Post
If this site had a pot-stirring emoticon, I'd insert it here.

Anyway to the original topic...This is like asking, at how many quarts low does the oil pressure light come on? With the exception of a rare factory defect, you should never see the oil pressure light or the "hot oil" message if you are operating and maintaining your JK properly..and if they do come on, there's a good chance that the damage has already been done.
It does, press the [more] button

I do agree with you... but it would be interesting to know that number and why the op asked the question.
Quote:
Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
sdaly
Wheeler

Member # 11911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
It does, press the [more] button

I do agree with you... but it would be interesting to know that number and why the op asked the question.
excellent! My old-man eyes couldn't see the white lettering on the gray background.

Yes, I'm curious to know why he asked too. This topic has just been so beaten to death around here. Usually what ensues is a Chrysler witch hunt for supposedly provisioning an "inferior" transmission and/or transmission cooling system in the JK, followed by a conspiracy theory that Chrysler's HOTOIL message is just a big cover-up, and finally a mandate that everyone must install a transmission cooler or face certain transmission-related catastrophe, rather than just RTFM and following proper operation and maintenance.

Last edited by sdaly; 08-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
bigapplephx
Wheeler

Member # 6298
Quote:
JK Wrangler Rubicon,
It was not my intent to dredge up all the old transmission temperature issues on the JK.
I only wanted to know the temperature setting of the Trans Hot Oil Light.
I have an aux trans oil cooler installed. After a 35 mile highway run at an OAT of 108 degs, I measured my transmission pan temperature with a laser thermometer, and it read 204 degs F.
I've read on several transmission sites that trans oil temps in the 200+ deg range start to deteriorate the trans oil and ultimately the transmission.

Thats all...........
bigapplephx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
jocrazy0
Rock God

Member # 150
Where in the world is your transmission cooler?? I have a temp gauge on mine, while driving normal (i.e. not towing) it runs only 30-35 degrees above ambient. So on summer Dallas days, at 105, the temp gauge while driving reads in the 140 range, and only in stop-n-go traffic does it climb into the upper 100's. Towing is a bit different. When pulling my heavy trailer, the gauge reads 50-60 degrees above ambient (driving) and sometimes gets into the low 200's in traffic. Only when backing up where there is low air flow and poor oil circulation does it get in the 220+ range.

So in my mind, with a properly installed oil cooler, it should never get into the 200 range when driving, and only into the 200's in extraordinary situation (go slow off road, towing, heavy traffic....maybe). Even offroad (Gilmer Texas), I do not recall the gauge getting up to 200 in 4lo climbing some of the go slow hills.

And my oil cooler is AFTER the in-radiator pre-heater/cooler too. Some people bypass that one, but any heat you can dump before final cooling seems to me to be a good thing.

Last edited by jocrazy0; 08-18-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
b1pig
Rock God

Member # 748
i dont remember if mine was done under recall or if the tech did it regardless. my build date is 01-23-07. the hot oil warning does in fact come on. i didnt have an aux gauge at that time.

it came on last September running the beaches at OBX in high range.

if you dont have one, an aux cooler is HIGHLY encouraged. it really takes the worry out of it.
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
needed: boat and plane
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
sdaly
Wheeler

Member # 11911
Quote:
After a 35 mile highway run at an OAT of 108 degs, I measured my transmission pan temperature with a laser thermometer, and it read 204 degs F.
I've read on several transmission sites that trans oil temps in the 200+ deg range start to deteriorate the trans oil and ultimately the transmission.

Thats all...........
You're good. 204 is nothing to worry about at all.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #21
tkob1060
JKO Addict!

Member # 5021
Factory service manual for 08 says the Mysterious DING warning(the hot oil light replaced it) was set to come on at 240, so I am assuming the hot oil light comes on at the same 240......It was never explained anywhere what the mysterious ding was, thats why they added the hot oil light.........I read Atf 4 trans fluid will boil at 255 or there abouts, been awhile since I read it.

Before I added my trans cooler my JK's trans ran in the 220's while wheeling moderate trails, and thats reading it with the Aeroforce gauge.

She still needs your help in 2011 click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Mine went off this spring and before I could get off the hwy my tranny was junk.
08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
My RK Long Arm Coilover Build Pics
Rock Krawler Suspensions
TEXASKEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #23
ronjenx
Rock God

Member # 10975
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
Factory service manual for 08 says the Mysterious DING warning(the hot oil light replaced it) was set to come on at 240, so I am assuming the hot oil light comes on at the same 240......It was never explained anywhere what the mysterious ding was, thats why they added the hot oil light.........I read Atf 4 trans fluid will boil at 255 or there abouts, been awhile since I read it.

Before I added my trans cooler my JK's trans ran in the 220's while wheeling moderate trails, and thats reading it with the Aeroforce gauge.
It's been pretty well established the mystery ding isn't associated with transmission temp.
I still get the mystery ding once in a while. Even when the transmission temp is only 120F.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #24
sdaly
Wheeler

Member # 11911
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
I read Atf 4 trans fluid will boil at 255 or there abouts, been awhile since I read it.
It's flash point or "smoke point" is more like 375-400 degrees F (oil doesn't actually "boil" unless it contains water or other contaminants that cook off at temperatures below the oil's flash point, which can make it appear to boil, but some incorrectly refer to its flash point as a "boiling point"). Take a look at what us Dodge Cummins diesel truck owners are running. These trucks are running the same ATF+4 as the JK and it's not unusual to regularly see 230-240 under normal towing conditions and the Dodge Cummins 48RE transmission is set to show tranny overtemp at 275 last I checked. This is not your father's ATF. This is ATF+4 and its group III base stock and lubrizol additive package makes it much more resilient to oxidation and thermal breakdown than the old school dexron stuff was. Regularly running low to mid 200's isn't something to worry about.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
SoK66
JKO Addict!

Member # 4483
Despite Chrysler's well planned efforts to avoid responsibility, including having their call center rep try and stonewall discussions on JKO about this serious defect, by now it's well established the JK automatic needs additional cooling, particularly on the ULs. Just a matter of time before the NHTSA investigation into JK fires gets to the bottom of this and orders fitment of the FACTORY aux cooler being installed on JKs sold overseas. Chrysler's even been caught fitting them on warranty replacement trans jobs here in the USA. They know the problem, they know the fix, they just don't want to pay for it unless a gun is held to their little pointy corporate heads.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.