JKOwners Forum banner

Michigan area BS thread

1M views 20K replies 127 participants last post by  BigTB 
#1 ·
I have looked and I don't see one here. I know some of my buddies on JKO like to BS around so I thought I'd put one together. And being that I'm from Canada, it's a stretch calling myself a Michigander, therefore anyone else from the Great Lakes section is welcome to chime in on stuff.
Let's see if we can get it off the ground floor now.

#4,601 ·
I would not say "required" Manny.
You wheel different from me and I might suppose you would be ok with just a brace like Rock Solid's or JKS.
During the past year I personally know of a couple JK's who's sector shafts snapped leaving the rig totally stranded until a new shaft was brought in and installed or the front lifted and hauled out. A Bestop JK on 35's snapped in Moab in the worst of locations and had to be left overnight until a new shaft was brought in from Grand Junction and earlier this year during Snofari a JK on 37's snapped one. The forums are picking up steam on these failing. Maybe it's fatigue after the 5 years they have been out.???
Good info Jamie...Definitely gonna keep my eye out on my sector shaft, approaching 5 years for my rig. Hoping to last another 5 years may take lots of :th_pray:

#4,604 ·
That makes my decision to brace that much easier. Bracing seems like a good investment.
It's the Chinese crap steel. The next nightmare is in our front hub's bearings (not Timken, but Chinese). Been looking into the Spyntec lock outs for JK D44 for mine once mine go. Maybe before?? better gas mileage and stop the wear internally with the lock out ability.

#4,607 ·
I love reading what people post in this thread, it makes me :laughing2: If you can read past the BS there is actually some great information here

#4,610 ·
I've never posted anything useful in here, so careful with what you're accusing mister. LOL.

Why is there not a monkey smiley or a smiley poking another smiley lol

#4,612 ·
07 X/Sahara jeeps that were Automatics or had the tow package had 4.10's along with a few early model year 08's.

Manuals all came standard with 3.21 unless tow package or otherwise ordered, then 4.10. 3.21's only come with a Manual.

08' is when the 3.73's came in on auto's and tow package X/Sahara Jeeps with manuals.

2012: all D30 jeeps have 3.21's; with or without tow package; whatever. Rubi you can get with 3.73 or 4.10.

:beer:
Are you possibly talking about manuals only?

Our '12 Auto Sport has 3.73's.

#4,614 ·
Are you possibly talking about manuals only?

Our '12 Auto Sport has 3.73's.
I had to specifically ask for a 4.10 when I ordered my Rubi with the tow package.

There was a week of drama in late June last year over this. Dealers almost had to reorder a huge batch of Rubicons because we had assumed that they all defaulted to 4.10.

When it got out that 3.73s were the new default (Jeep's thinking was more engine=less gearing), everyone who was in build status shit a brick because they were screwed.

I was still in planned status so I had time to tweak the order to get my 4.10s...whew! :)

#4,615 ·
Maybe it's fatigue after the 5 years they have been out.???
It's probably that combine with just a poorly designed/built part.

In my quest for a steering box that didn't involve pulling mine off I started stumbling across A LOT of forum posts from 07-09 where people had shafts failing at a pretty good rate.

Then it looks like a few of the sector shaft braces and bolt in hydro assist kits came out and the posts seemed to trail off a bit.

Now, like you said, it seems to be picking up a bit. It kinda makes me wonder if it is the very large growth in people wanting to run 37's but not wanting to spend the extra money on some non-glamorous parts that keep your shit together. Dunno.

Either way I'd say the $250 or whatever for a sector shaft brace is cheap insurance.

#4,616 ·
You can put the used one on the Jeep while your stock one is being fixed up.
Depending who or where I stole the one from it could well be better off than my current one. 110k on it.

I think at this point I may just order a reman from autozone or something and see if I can have it just shipped directly to WTO for porting. Maybe at least save me a few bucks on shipping.

#4,618 ·
-1 for painting the orangy awesomness black :) :lol:

That sure looks a lot like a PSC cylinder without the sticker. :lol:

Which tie rod are you running?

#4,620 ·
When you cut into your quarters, did you have to relocate any of the ground wires? And if so, did you strap any two that were seperate before together?
So I separated all my grounds to like how they were when stock. Still no dice. 70 mph for awhile and fast blink kicks in. Ugh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.