Downside of LED headlights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Electrical & Lighting Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
Downside of LED headlights

Well I guess only for the snow regions. LEDs produce no heat so they build up with snow and ice while driving and restrict light. A dangerous situation to say the least. As much as I love my LED spots I will be sticking with regular quartz headlamps.

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, AEV Premium front bumper, LightForce Striker 170 lights, Mr Grille Billet grille, Vent shades, Bug Deflector, Flex-A-Lite 18,000 GVW Transcooler, drilled mirrors, zip tied hood latches, Jeep slush mats and a few more little goodies.
jtphoto JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
Yep, I found that out when I ran them for awhile as well.

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Goodysgotacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
JKCTAZ
Hey you, yeah, you!

Member # 15063
The plus side of running LED's in super cold environments is that they work more efficiently the colder they get. We see a higher luminousity from the CREE LEDs we use in our display case lights in the frozen food cases where I work. Small and interesting fact. As far as snow and ice, yep, found that out with my Rigid's when I went wheeling in the snow. All of a sudden the light seemed dim and thought I lost a couple of diodes until I stopped and realized they were fouled with muddy snow and had to clear them manually.
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Just another Jeep addict...
JKCTAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
just eric
Granite Guru

Member # 19754
Dont the JW Speakers have a heating element in them to avoid this situation?
just eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by just eric View Post
Not as far as I know.

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, AEV Premium front bumper, LightForce Striker 170 lights, Mr Grille Billet grille, Vent shades, Bug Deflector, Flex-A-Lite 18,000 GVW Transcooler, drilled mirrors, zip tied hood latches, Jeep slush mats and a few more little goodies.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
JeepinJon
Rock God

Member # 6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by just eric View Post
They use a fan to blow the heat from the heatsink onto the lens.

08 Rubicon
JeepinJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Badd Andy
Granite Guru

Member # 4349
what temps are they rated for, up here in Northwestern Ontario it can hit as low as -40 without windchill, even colder in other places like Winnepeg and Saskatchewan

snow and ice covered lights are the last thing you need when theres only daylight in the winter months from 9 am to 5 pm
Black 07 Rubicon 4dr, about 90% blacked out, safari straps, Falken 35's and 17" Strike 5 rims, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
Badd Andy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
nj jk
Granite Guru

Member # 10783
LED traffic lights have the same icing issue. The issue was resolved by engineering heating elements into the traffic light housing.
nj jk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
LeJerk
Granite Guru

Member # 20619
Well that's bad news for winter. Are there any models that are warm enough not to have this problem? Maybe a switch or plug to unplug during the summer, and plug in to warm then in winter?
LeJerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
usmcdoc14
Fistfull of Boomstick

Member # 206
spray them with PAM every morning

usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
spray them with PAM every morning
LOL the PAM may freeze before it gets out of the can! LOL

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Vince1
Rock God

Member # 9101
I live with snow and ice half the year at 9000ft in a ski resort town. I have JW Speaker headlamps and six auxillary LED light bars from VisionX and Rigid. I will tell you this so called issue is a myth. Never had ice build up on any of these fixtures. All these LED lights have heat sinks and cooling fins.....it's because they do indeed get hot. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Last edited by Vince1; 05-01-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince1 View Post
I live with snow and ice half the year at 9000ft in a ski resort town. I have JW Speaker headlamps and six auxillary LED light bars from VisionX and Rigid. I will tell you this so called issue is a myth. Never had ice build up on any of these fixtures. All these LED lights have heat sinks and cooling fins.....it's because they do indeed get hot. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
My Hamsar 1900 lumen LED spots iced over in -20 not a myth, thats why I questioned the use of LED for headlights... Good to know that some get warm enough, mine don't.. How cold does it get there?

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 05-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Vince1
Rock God

Member # 9101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
My Hamsar 1900 lumen LED spots iced over in -20 not a myth, thats why I questioned the use of LED for headlights... Good to know that some get warm enough, mine don't.. How cold does it get there?
It's the circuitry, not the LED itself, that generates excessive heat. Read more about powerful auto LEDs and you'll see the challenge is to dissipate the heat generated, not retain it. We had -50 deg F in some of the passes the winter before last, but -20's are the typical Jan-Feb lows. We're no strangers to snow-pack around here:

Last edited by Vince1; 12-09-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
Quote:
It's the circuitry, not the LED itself, that generates excessive heat. We had -50 deg F in some of the passes the winter before last, but -20's are the typical Jan-Feb lows. Read more about powerful auto LEDs and you'll see the challenge is to dissipate the heat generated, not retain it.
Possibly the reason these Hamsar worklights are expensive. Evidently they dissipate the heat out the back pretty good. They do not warm up enough up front to melt ice/snow off the lens..

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
Vince1
Rock God

Member # 9101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
Possibly the reason these Hamsar worklights are expensive. Evidently they dissipate the heat out the back pretty good. They do not warm up enough up front to melt ice/snow off the lens..
Likely so. I know their XWL800/810 series have cooling fins along the back surface, much like the other brands, but I doubt these would not have some warmth at the front lens.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
Quote:
Likely so. I know their XWL800/810 series have cooling fins along the back surface, much like the other brands, but I doubt these would not have some warmth at the front lens.
Yup those are the ones. 6 - XWL800/HO 2 spots and 4 Hybrids..

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
07unlimitedx
JKO Addict!

Member # 2682
I run Rigid LED's for my fogs... I run them as my daytime lights and never have an issue of them icing up. I'm sure everyone using the VisionX solos for fogs wouldn't have any problem
2010 Mountain Edition, ARB front/rear diff covers, ProComp rims, Nitto Terra Graplers, Truck Lite LED Headlights , S-Pod , K&N drop in filter, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, ARB front stubby bumper & ARB Rear bumper w/tire carrier, Chrysler hood lock, Rigid Industries 20" SR, Dually's & D2's, Tuffy Security Drawer, stereo cover and cubby cover, Viair 400C, RK 3.5" Flex, RCV front axels, ARB front & rear lockers, 4.56 G2 Gears, Warn M8000
07unlimitedx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Vince1
Rock God

Member # 9101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
I run Rigid LED's for my fogs... I run them as my daytime lights and never have an issue of them icing up. I'm sure everyone using the VisionX solos for fogs wouldn't have any problem
I did have a problem with the Solos getting moisture/condensation inside. Maybe bad seals or my high elevation, but I switched to Rigid Duallys and no issues since. Neither had icing issues.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
usmcdoc14
Fistfull of Boomstick

Member # 206
Whould it not just be easier to install a couple of spray nozzles and a washer pump to spray de-ice washer fluid on the headlights instead of finding reasons NOT to run LEDs?
$20 and now you can hose the mud off them too

wrap the line around the radiator hose a few times before the nozzles and now they are HEATED washers.

usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
Whould it not just be easier to install a couple of spray nozzles and a washer pump to spray de-ice washer fluid on the headlights instead of finding reasons NOT to run LEDs?
$20 and now you can hose the mud off them too

wrap the line around the radiator hose a few times before the nozzles and now they are HEATED washers.
Whoa! I have no problem running LEDs as a matter of fact I would love to have LED headlights, especially if they work as well as my spots do, however, paying $600-$1000 for a set of LED headlights then having to fabricate sprayers to TRY and keep ice off all winter just doesn't make any sense..
Not a bad idea, up north here auto parts stores actually sell heater units for your washer fluid but in this case sprayers alone won't work, you'd need a flat lens with a wiper.

Good discussion fellas.. Didn't realize most LED lights produced that much heat..

Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
jtphoto JK
Rock God

Member # 1930
A quote from JW Speakers rep on Fire House forum.. post #92
Quote:
Hello to all,

My Name is Steve and I am the Director of Sales and Marketing for JW Speaker. We have been following this forum for some time, and have found the postings from the people in the fire and rescue world to be very interesting, and are impressed with the level of knowledge you all have. I do want to clear up a couple of issues relative to our LED 4x6 headlamps.

1) These lamps are indeed LED and all LED. There are no bulbs, no HID only LEDs as the source.

2) These lamps do not have or need a cooling fan. They do have an industrial computer grade fan that is used for de-ice of the external lens. In many climates this is a must- that can not be acheived without circulating warmer air from the back of the lamp (where LED heat is generated) past the lens. In all of the lamps we have sold we have NEVER had a fan failure - it is rated at 100,000 hours. If it does fail - the lamp will continue to perform - just without deice. I would be very curious to see how others without this feature acheive de-ice - given that LEDs emit very little to no heat in a forward direction.
This is an old discussion but You can read the whole tread here http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t113682-5/

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 05-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.