Where's the best place to rent Jeeps in Kauai & Oahu - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Islands and Territories

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
imajeepnut

Member # 13749
Where's the best place to rent Jeeps in Kauai & Oahu

Aloha fellow Hawaii Jeepers!

1. Our family will be visiting Kauai and Oahu in 2 weeks. We would love to rent a 4dr. JK while we are there, but the Big Rental car places can't guarantee a Jeep...much less a 4Dr. Could any of you suggest a reputable place that might rent 4dr. JKs???

2. We will have 6 days on Kauai, and hop over to Oahu for another 6 days. We have 2 girls...ages 9 & 11. Could some of you suggest some outings for us? I would love to see some of the beauty of each island. We want to snorkel...and would like to get off the beaten path for some sight seeing.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Jeff in GA
imajeepnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Munky
Wheeler

Member # 19212
Not totally sure about a good place to rent a jeep. I know when we were first coming out to the island a Jeep rental is very expensive. I would say look on kayak if you haven't already. I have heard that you should be sure to wash it really good before turning it back over of they will "fine" you very heavily. As for sites if you do get a jeep go up to Kaena Point (north shore westside). If you like to hike check out oahuhiking. Not sure about the other island we haven't hoped over there yet.

FC1(SW) USN, 2002 - present
Munky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
aldaman
Granite Guru

Member # 648
Most of the popular car rental companies here in Kauai have the sport JKUs. Alamo, Hertz, Dollar, Budget & Thrifty to name a few....Try reserving one now before you head over here.....I always see a lot of JKU rentals driving all over the road...
aldaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
aldaman
Granite Guru

Member # 648
Polihale, the Napali coast (west side) and the Northshore beach by Princeville/Haena have beautiful beaches....
Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
TXROCK
"Addiction" SOLD

Member # 5262
Not to worry on the Jeeps for Oahu....there are Plenty of them all over here with all the car rental places right outside the airport lining up Nimitz highway (which is the lower highway with H1 above it running right in front of the airport). What I would do is get the local number to the rental company to make sure they hold a JKU for you.

As for places to go for snorkeling and outings:

1. Turtle bay
2. Sandy Beach
3. Halawia (north shore surf town)
4. Dole Pineapple plantation
5. Ko O'lina lagoons (Disney hotel and Marriot are right there with lagoon 3 being the best one!)
6. For off-roading, there are some trails at the far northeast of the island (Kaena Point north shore access past Dillingham airfield).

RIPP Supercharged, GenRight Armored, RK suspension, 3rd row seat, sPOD, LIGHTS!, 12V auxiliary power (all 7 passengers), etc!
TXROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
imajeepnut

Member # 13749
Thanks for the replies! I do have a car rented, but I can't seem to get any car rental to "hold" a JKUnlimited for me. I'll see who we rented our car from on Kauai and post that...and when i post the company, would someone happen to have a local number that I could call so I could actually speak to someone at that location? I keep getting a "regional" rep and that is frustrating.

We are planning to go snorkeling and tour the Dole plantation. We are also staying at the Disney resort on Oahu...so I hope that will be fun. I'll research the other locations you mentioned and hopefully we can visit those too.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears .

It would be great to meet some of you when we're visiting. You'll have to give me some good, family oriented places to eat that my girls would enjoy. I'll keep up with this thread while I'm on the island. At least we could have a glass of sweet tea and talk Jeeps for a min or two!!

Since its a Jeep site...I'll try to post some pics of my Jeeps just to keep it fun!!

Thanks again guys...

Jeff
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Munky
Wheeler

Member # 19212
Sounds like a plan, just hit us up when you get here. Im willing to bet we can get a few JKUs to take y'all up there even if you don't have one yourself. My wife said she would be more than happy to be your Guest at Aulani for the day.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
imajeepnut

Member # 13749
We may have to trade you a days Jeep rental for a guest pass at Aulani!!!! .

What is your take on visiting the Pearl Harbor memorial with 2 young Girls? We want to see it, but wondered what time of day would be best with young children...not so young now...8-10.

I'll certainly keep a check here until we leave and also while we're there. I'll try to post those pics tomorrow nite...time to call it a night here...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
TXROCK
"Addiction" SOLD

Member # 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by imajeepnut View Post

What is your take on visiting the Pearl Harbor memorial with 2 young Girls? We want to see it, but wondered what time of day would be best with young children...not so young now...8-10.

I'll certainly keep a check here until we leave and also while we're there. I'll try to post those pics tomorrow nite...time to call it a night here...

You will be fine taking them to the memorial and is a must for every red-blooded American to learn about our history!

RIPP Supercharged, GenRight Armored, RK suspension, 3rd row seat, sPOD, LIGHTS!, 12V auxiliary power (all 7 passengers), etc!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Munky
Wheeler

Member # 19212
Quote:

They don't actually do guest passes we asked

Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Richie Rich
Rock God

Member # 1300
Aloha Jeff...not sure if I'm responding a little late but if you are going to be staying at Aulani you are going to be really close to some of the uncrowded beaches on the Island. Tracks is a great place to snorkel granted that the south swells are not rolling. If you take Farrington Hwy to the west side you will pass Makaha Beach and wind up at Yokahama Beach (great uncrowded beach).

When you take a drive to the North Shore and grab some shave ice take your girls to Lanikea Beach...they always have Honu's (turtles) on the beach. Don't forget to try the Huli Huli Chicken while you are up there also.

I know that you are probably wanting to check out all the beaches while you are here but while in Kauai I would suggest the drive to Waimea Canyon....amazing scenery and something you would not expect to see in ;-)

Hope you enjoy you vacation!

Quote:
Aloha fellow Hawaii Jeepers!

1. Our family will be visiting Kauai and Oahu in 2 weeks. We would love to rent a 4dr. JK while we are there, but the Big Rental car places can't guarantee a Jeep...much less a 4Dr. Could any of you suggest a reputable place that might rent 4dr. JKs???

2. We will have 6 days on Kauai, and hop over to Oahu for another 6 days. We have 2 girls...ages 9 & 11. Could some of you suggest some outings for us? I would love to see some of the beauty of each island. We want to snorkel...and would like to get off the beaten path for some sight seeing.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Jeff in GA

OHANA TRAILS

Richie Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
imajeepnut

Member # 13749
We were able to rent a 4-dr JK on Kauai...through Enterprise. Service was pretty good, but the Jeep was filthy. Nonetheless...we were able to get the JK that we wanted so all was good! Kauai was beautiful!!! And...very laid back and slow...wonderful for our family. We took a Capt. Andy's Tour of the Napali coast. We headed up north but time wasn't on our side so we couldn't make it all the way. We stopped at a recommended snorkel site, but the water was dirty from the heavy surf I guess.

We just made it to Oahu today. A big difference between the two islands! Loads more people for sure! Honolulu reminds me of downtown Atlanta...I wasn't expecting that I don't guess. The resort is nice, but crowded and the buffet is $43 per person, ages 10 and up! We're looking for local places to eat now! lol

Hopefully, we can venture out while we're here...and see some of the beauty Oahu has to offer. I'll make it a point to try some of the sites you mentioned Rich. Thanks for offering those for us. Maybe we can post some pics when we get back home. We will have a few I know!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #13
TXROCK
"Addiction" SOLD

Member # 5262
go check out:

1. Dixie Grill restaurant (this saturday is the Oahu Jeepers get together)
2. Ko O'lina lagoons
3. Haliewa (North Shore surf town)
4. Dole Pineapple Plantation
5. Turtle bay

Old 05-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
imajeepnut

Member # 13749
I'd love to make it to the meeting, but we are leaving Thursday. We may still try to visit the restaurant before we go. I'll look it up. I'll also look up those other places too.

I told you I would post some Pics of my Jeeps...so here is the flikr link. Wish I could get my XJ in checked luggage!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20472512@N02/
Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #15
imajeepnut

Member # 13749
Dixie grill was Great! BBQ and turkey, corn, slaw, and Memphis sauce mixed with their Hawaiian BBQ sauce...mmmmmmmm. Thanks for the recommendation! I love what I call "hole-in-the-wall" places like that...because you remember those the best! Once I called and found out that they had sweet tea, it was just a matter of getting there without getting a ticket! lol. I have to admit though...we got a little lost down at that McDonald's with the funky parking lot and no left turns and no exits!! Drove me crazy!!! But once I got out of the parking lot, and shot across the road by Wendy's, GPS took us to the front door.

I didn't get the name of our waiter, but he was a good guy. Teacher by day, and works there part time. I told him that y'all made the recommendation, so maybe you'll get some popcorn when y'all have your meeting Saturday!

Thanks again for the referral...wish I could make Sat. But I'll be back in GA by then...trying to get back to a normal sleep routine!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
aldaman
Granite Guru

Member # 648
Glad you and the family had a great time in the Aloha state

-4.10 Ratio
-5 Spd Auto
-430N Media
24R Package
-315/75/16 Toyo Open Country MTs
-Katzkin Heated Leather Seats
-16x8.5" Level 8 Tracker wheels
-Dynomax Evo Competition exhaust
-TeraFlex Front Lower Control Arms

(prev) '08 JKU x (Black)
-5.13 ratio
-4 spd auto
-1" M.O.R.E BL
-2.5" TF Coil lift
-315/75/16 GY MT/R
-16x8 ProComp 8069 rims
-Magnaflow / CoolTech exhaust
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
TXROCK
"Addiction" SOLD

Member # 5262
Quote:
Dixie grill was Great! BBQ and turkey, corn, slaw, and Memphis sauce mixed with their Hawaiian BBQ sauce...mmmmmmmm. Thanks for the recommendation! I love what I call "hole-in-the-wall" places like that...because you remember those the best! Once I called and found out that they had sweet tea, it was just a matter of getting there without getting a ticket! lol. I have to admit though...we got a little lost down at that McDonald's with the funky parking lot and no left turns and no exits!! Drove me crazy!!! But once I got out of the parking lot, and shot across the road by Wendy's, GPS took us to the front door.

I didn't get the name of our waiter, but he was a good guy. Teacher by day, and works there part time. I told him that y'all made the recommendation, so maybe you'll get some popcorn when y'all have your meeting Saturday!

Thanks again for the referral...wish I could make Sat. But I'll be back in GA by then...trying to get back to a normal sleep routine!

Told ya you would like it! Their sweet tea is ADDICTING! Glad yall had a good time and next trip out we will have to take you for a jeep run to see some of the places you couldnt get to with a rental!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #18
imajeepnut

Member # 13749
I would love to ride shotgun when we come back. There is so much to see and do, it's impossible to do it all in one trip. If some of you have pics or links to some threads highlighting some of your trail runs...I'd love to know what and where so I can at least read about them. I bet there is some beautiful scenery out on your trails...

How many are in your club?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
TXROCK
"Addiction" SOLD

Member # 5262
LOTS! Sent you a PM!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
tehiv
Granite Guru

Member # 2964
This is a cool thread. I'll be in Maui for 7 nights in January. I may hit you guys up for some local info as we get closer.
Xenon - Hella - IPF - SOLID - Kilby - SpiderWeb - Superchips - Skid Row - Currie - JKS
formerly owned: Blk '05 TJ X; Blk '98 TJ Sport; White '97 XJ
tehiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #21
TXROCK
"Addiction" SOLD

Member # 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehiv View Post
This is a cool thread. I'll be in Maui for 7 nights in January. I may hit you guys up for some local info as we get closer.
sure thing!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #22
imajeepnut

Member # 13749
Next trip...I think I'll try to plan a shotgun ride with someone in the club. I'd love for my whole family to be able to go on a mild trail...just to see the island like most "tourists" will never see. Heck...most residents won't see what y'all see when you go out.

I guess we will visit the Dole Plantation tomorrow...Wed., get some pineapples, ice cream, and head back to Aulani for one last swim. Then it's back to reality!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.