07 and 08 JK - Antitheft System - Engine No Crank/No Start Condition - July 08 - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Recalls and TSBs.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #26
hippitruck
Wheeler

Member # 5155
This happens to me alot took it in sevreal times and it would start for them so I'll take this to them when i go in for my new freedom top seal for the leak i have and my gas cap being bad so my engine light come on
hippitruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #27
Dittman2564
Granite Guru

Member # 15844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Antitheft System - Engine No Crank/No Start Condition

NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: July 04,2008

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-007-08, DATED MARCH 04, 2008. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

DO NOT ORDER PART NUMBER 05026070AP UNTIL JULY 21, 2008. ALL OTHER PART NUMBERS ARE AVAILABLE NOW.
SUBJECT:
No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if equipped, the replacement of the Electric Steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).

MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH 0505XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module (WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.
I have experienced this in my 2009 Rubicon Unlimited a few times.I purchased it in Dec. 2008 .Need to check build date.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #28
bIGsKYmt

Member # 15958
Starting Issues

I've been experiencing starting issues for the last 6 months almost daily. At first it seemed like the battery was getting old and replaced the battery and it started up the right away. The next time, the same non starting clicking issue.
My mechanic thought it was the starter, replaced, started right up. The next time, the same non starting clicking issue. Off to the dealership. They identified it as a TIPM issue. They reconfiguration with a new update from Chrysler, and stated it starts every time now....it did until I got home!

Same issue....I guess everything goes though the TIPM and it appears waiting until all the checks are complete (10 secs) prior to starting works best, not always.
bIGsKYmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #29
Monster Jk
Rock God

Member # 10745
is this the problem when you first try to start your jeep? It makes a like half starter click sound? Is this the one where if you put it to neutral, and back to drive, it will start up? just making sure that i got the right tbs, because my jeep is doing it now.....
Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #30
Dittman2564
Granite Guru

Member # 15844
My 09 Rubi just did it 3 times in a row (same incident/3 attempts before anything happened). I have 2 Optima Marine Batteries and a Priority Start Battery Protector and have never had nor do I have battery issues. When mine fails. It does not do a thing. No engagement of starter at all. Sometimes when it fails,if I hold the key in the START (turned all the way) position after about 2 or 3 sec.'s it will crank. Not true yesterday. It's a bit scary if you are deep into Death Valley.

Last edited by Dittman2564; 07-04-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Dittman2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #31
biggb53
Wheeler

Member # 1838
My wireless control module went out a few months ago and my dealership said that they have never seen that go out on wranglers! seems kind of crazy to me. They did replace it though under warranty.

**RiverCityOffroad**
biggb53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #32
xjtrailrider
Granite Guru

Member # 6800
*Digging up an olde thread*

My wife's 08 Sahara is doing this and has done this since new. It is an intermittent problem. We have taken it in for the issue several times to the dealer and we always get, "we can't find a problem"

Today I took the Jeep in to get the tranny line recall done and to have this issue looked over.

I was told I would have to pay for the diagnosis and repair since my Jeep is out of warranty. The SM says they have no record of me bringing the Jeep in for this issue?!?

I'm not going to give them my money when I can fix it myself. Two questions;

How much does the WCM cost? Where is it located in the Jeep?

And I guess there is a third question, Is this plug and play or do I have to get the module programmed?

TIA
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #33
Dittman2564
Granite Guru

Member # 15844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
mine does it all the time but because it isnt a recall jeep said tuff shit

That is basically what I got too And mine is a 2009 which I purchased Dec. 2008. I have to check build date...
It has been awhile since it has done it,damn gremlins!
They don't seem to know a thing about the a/t line recall either...

Last edited by Dittman2564; 12-19-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Dittman2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #34
SoK66
JKO Addict!

Member # 4483
I had this happen on my '09 a few months ago. Was at the dealership on a Sunday AM looking at the 12s. Got in, no crank, no start and the remote would not function. Could lock it with the key, but if I unlocked it the alram would go oof and couldn't be stopped until it timed out. Naturally, I didn;t have my trail tools in the rig at the time so no wrench to pull the negative battery cable. Called my neighbor to come get me and bring my spare key. No luck with that. Wen home to get tools and Googled the symptom. Up popped a thread from the Jeep Forum about this exact issue. A dealer tech had responed back in '08 with the cause and the workaround, which is to lift the J13 IOD fuse holder (big white dual fuse in teh fuse block), wait 30 seconds and push back into place. I tried it when I got back to the rig with tools, worked first time.

Next day I went to the dealer and they knew the fix, which was to replace the wireless control module. Replaced it under warranty, no more issues.

In addition to that problem, a few times I've had it start, then immediately shut down, like I'd used a non-security key. It usually will start on subsequent tries. Pretty sure that one's a key issue.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #35
mattt
Wheeler

Member # 11905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
is this the problem when you first try to start your jeep? It makes a like half starter click sound? Is this the one where if you put it to neutral, and back to drive, it will start up? just making sure that i got the right tbs, because my jeep is doing it now.....
My 08 Rubicon Unlimited is doing the "no start" dance more and more recently. I hadn't read this thread till just now, but the way I've been getting it to start is to put it in neutral, roll it forward or back just a tad, then put it back in Park and wham-o....it has started every time.

Does anyone know if this no start issue would be covered by an extended warranty? I have 60k so I'm out of regular warranty, but have the extended care warranty up to 100k.
mattt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #36
jacktuttle
Rock God

Member # 1772
Garage
more like neutral safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
My 08 Rubicon Unlimited is doing the "no start" dance more and more recently. I hadn't read this thread till just now, but the way I've been getting it to start is to put it in neutral, roll it forward or back just a tad, then put it back in Park and wham-o....it has started every time.

Does anyone know if this no start issue would be covered by an extended warranty? I have 60k so I'm out of regular warranty, but have the extended care warranty up to 100k.
I don't know that is is the antitheft issue. It sounds more like neutral safety switch. I have almost the same issue a lot where it does not want to start in park. If I push forward on the gear shift or put it into neutral then it starts.
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
jacktuttle is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #37
Linkenbarb
Wheeler

Member # 15589
I had my truck at the dealer over 4 times for the same problem. It's always random and if I wiggle the shifter in neutral shell start up. Sounds like a common jeep problem that every Cherokee experiences. Dealer had truck for over a week and put a starter and starter wires in said it was fixed got it back and got problem as soon as I got home. Jeep can't figure this one out.
Linkenbarb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #38
Cedo Nulli
Wheeler

Member # 7515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
I don't know that is is the antitheft issue. It sounds more like neutral safety switch. I have almost the same issue a lot where it does not want to start in park. If I push forward on the gear shift or put it into neutral then it starts.
Same. I'll get it intermittently, cycle the tranny shifter from Park to 1 and back, restart, good to go.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #39
Linkenbarb
Wheeler

Member # 15589
So far jeep put in 3 tarers said it was the loose nut syndrome that the commanders hae where the jumper wire nut is left loose from chrysler that wasnt it and they put in a starter harness and made the most rigged ground wire from the inner fender to the block out of 12g wire but it was about 3ft too long and it melted to my cat and thought the truck was on fire lol, would be too good to be true. Now a chrysler tech rep has to come and look at the heep.
Linkenbarb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #40
jacktuttle
Rock God

Member # 1772
Garage
Thumbs down Now a chrysler tech rep has to come and look at the heep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkenbarb View Post
So far jeep put in 3 tarers said it was the loose nut syndrome that the commanders hae where the jumper wire nut is left loose from chrysler that wasnt it and they put in a starter harness and made the most rigged ground wire from the inner fender to the block out of 12g wire but it was about 3ft too long and it melted to my cat and thought the truck was on fire lol, would be too good to be true. Now a chrysler tech rep has to come and look at the heep.
Sounds about right......
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
jacktuttle is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #41
BLACK PEARL
Wheeler

Member # 5990
Just had this issue with my RHD 2.8CRD JKU
Its a 2007 build which stood on Chyslers car park for I presume 2yrs before I got it (cheap) in 2009

Has happened twice 3 wks ago, but (touch wood) OK since then.
Its now 6 months outside 3 yr warranty.
Just found out which is the IOD fuse if it happens again
Shop manager said it was a software fix which would have been updated during my service visits... mmmm
BLACK PEARL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #42
mattt
Wheeler

Member # 11905
It's been hot in my neck of the woods lately...very hot. It seems like this problem is temp dependent. When it's really hot outside, it seems to do it worse and more often.

A giggle of the shift lever always gets it to start, or running the lever thru the gears then back to park. It just seems to be doing it much more often.

Anyone get a definitive fix out of Jeep yet?
mattt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #43
0jk8

Member # 19850
When does this happen at a certin number of miles or what lol. 08 wrangler x unlimited 6 speed manual
0jk8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #44
Boyer343
Granite Guru

Member # 2034
I had this issue the other day. Dealer took care of it but had to pay the price sadly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Boyer343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.