JKOwners Forum banner

Tall/Skinny Offroad Tires (Trailer)

8K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  JPK 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a tire for a trailer project. The now-extinct BFG 33x9.50 would have been perfect. Except it's not here & I'm running MTR's. Sure, my JK has 35's, but I'm ok w/ 33's for the trailer. Rim size doesn't matter - I can buy those to suit. (IOW, the LT-metric tires would be OK)

So - who makes a tire in the ~33" tall range, but only ~ 9" wide??

I've searched BFG's site & GY's site, looking for the old pdf's that show all tires in their lineup with dimensions, but haven't come up with it.

#3 ·
Yeah, I found that one on Google. Loved Big-O when I lived in WA state - but none anywhere near me. I don't think there's any in my whole state!

#5 · (Edited)
based on what i can find, then the interco "skinny" tires are the best option for an aggressive pizza-cutter.

i think there used to be a groun hawg tire that was tall and skinny, but i havent seen em in a long time. i also remember seeing some skinny swamper boggers, but also i havent seen them, either in a while.

#8 ·
Of course. Just wanting it to look like / go with the Jeep.

#10 ·
That's an idea! BFG (& GY) used to have pdf's that listed specs for all their tires, and they listed diameter & width in inches even for metric tires like that one. I'm having a hard time finding that chart anymore. That chart had recommended rim width & revs/mile for each tire too, so it was very helpful.

Lacking that chart, your recommendation is a good one - thanks!

#12 · (Edited)
BFG offers the KM2 in 255/85R-16, which is shown as 33.3" tall and 10" wide on a 7" rim. The 255/80R-17 is also 33.3" tall and 10" wide on a 7" rim.

I have the original BFG mud terrains in 255/85R-16 running on OEM Rubicon rims on my LJ and the tire has the tall and skinny look you are looking for. The only issue with either tire is they are both load range E, but mine ride ok on the LJ.

If you go to the specs page on the BFG site you can expand the page to show height, width, recommended wheel width, etc. The icon for doing it is at the top right corner of the list of available tire sizes shown when you click for the specs on any given BFG tire and scroll down about 4". Try this link to the KM2's, hit the "SPECS" folder icon, scroll down three or four inches, look to the upper right corner of the list and click the blue and white arrow icons bracketing the word "more", you will find the info you are looking for. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/mud-terrain-t-a-km2-tires

Hope this helps,

JPK

#13 ·
BINGO!!! THANKS!!!

#14 ·
Thanks, guys, for the charts & links. Looks like I have three options:
1) Two BFG's, both 33x10 (255/85R16 & 255/80R17)
2) One GY MTR, 32x10 (255/75R17)

GY doesn't make MTR's in 85 series, so BFG has the advantage there...unless I want wide trailer tires too.

Thanks again.

#16 ·
Personally I'm going to get the exact same tires for my trailer that I have on my Jeep.

I have a spare on the back, but when towing the trailer I'd have effectively 3 spares - In case of serious trouble I could drop the trailer, take its wheels and get back to civilization where I could make arrangements to get the trailer out later :)

#17 ·
As long as the bolt pattern was the same & the tires were relatively close in size, you could still do that if you needed.

I just can't see all that weight on the trailer just for 3 spares....if you really need 3 spares, you shouldn't have a trailer there anyway, don't you think?

#20 ·
Wow. OK, good point then. Good reasons to never 'wheel alone, but still - prepared is good.

#21 · (Edited)
Yes, you could concievably blow the sidewalls on a couple or even three tires...

But more likely you will hole the tread - so bring along a tire repair kit and an adequate tire pump. Also, if you know what you are doing, and there are instructions out there, some torn sidewalls can be fixed well enough to get you back to civilization if your kit is complete enough. (No highway worthy sidewall repiars though.) And for re-seating a tire without an adequate pump/tank, there is the gasoline trick, which you can learn about on line - its never recommended but when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere it has got to beat a death march.

I am going the route of trailer wheels and tires matching my Jeep, no trailer spare and a good repair kit. I think the other viable option is a trailer spare.

(Maybe an additional solution, along with a good tire repair kit, to not having a trailer spare would be a tube to fit the trailer tires. Compact, light package to haul. And I've successfully run tubes in tubless tires in my past sports car days - with real wire wheels.)

JPK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.