JKOwners Forum banner

cjcraig7's JKuggy Build

121K views 336 replies 92 participants last post by  HOGGSTATUS 
#1 ·
I finally got going on this stretch. I took alot of ass-end damage this year on the trail, so I am going to do a little thinning of this gals hips.

I purchased a Synergy Stretch this past summer but because of the change in plans to go with a buggy backhalf, I chopped it up and I am going with a one off 3-link instead.

This is what it looked like before I took my 5" cut-off wheels to it:

This is what it looked like after the main material removal:

I removed the frame three inched in back of the body mount behind the door.
The rear stretch will be 16 inches and the front will be 4 inches
115 inches when it is done.
I am going to do the rear now and do some snow wheeling and do the front with coilovers in March, along with the crawler box.

See less See more
#123 ·
Upper Wishbone Mount

I got the mounting bracket built and mounted to the upper truss. What is going on here in the pictures is the Ballistic Joint used for the upper and turned for axle centering strength. The joint is rebuildable with bronze bushings. Good thing because the joint will be permanantly TIG welded into place in a 2 X .25 wall dom head tube. The joint has 40 degree of movement so it should be both super strong, functional, and maintainable.

And the new diff cover and tie rod installed- about ready for hydraulic steering.

The axle is sitting at ride height with 42"s.

#130 ·
Grinding it out.

Working on the top link and steering.

The top link is a custom wishbone and a major pain in the butt, but I think I am getting there. Here are a couple pics of the progress. I am building the actual links (2" X .25 wall DOM) and tacking them up today.

#131 ·
Full Hydraulic Steering

I am working on the ram connection, and double sheer for the tie rod. The idea with the tube connection from the upper steering arm down to the double sheer tie rod connection is to transfer force directly from the high steer arm down to the tie rod, keeping the load off the ball joint.

The parts:

The new ram compared to the PSC Extreme Assist Ram:

The basic set-up:

Starting to built the ram fixed mount off the truss today.

#136 ·
Steering

Thanks for the props.

Got the steering put together today. Had to cut yesterday's work apart a bit. But this is welded up:

I didn't get anything done on the wishbone today, because the steering buried me. Meetings tomorrow - I going to get that wishbone done Saturday though. If Poly could get me hooked up with those shocks about now, I am ready.

#140 ·
Jeep is looking good, some cool ideas. Why did you go away from the steering box and use a steering ram.
www.jeepspeedshop.com
Was going for triangulated axle centering, hence no track bar, so no go on the drag link, so goes the steering box.

Wish I had the drag link and box for safety, but.....massive bump steer with this type of suspension travel.

#141 ·
Nice progress Craig, get to build new track bar bracket for the dront axle this weekend, then the hacking in the rear begins. Kind of thinking about trying to find a Artec truss like yours somebody will let go for cheap so I make a project out of it.

#150 ·
Mechanically, it's true. There will always be some inherent bump steer since the drag link will travel in an arc as it moves up and down.
But, the angles on that JSS Jeep look very flat, so I'm guessing that the bump steer is so minimal that it's probably not detectable. Good stuff!:)

#151 ·
Ow this thread has officially gone over my head haha!

Sent via your mom on a tricycle wearing a paper crown from Burger King

#153 · (Edited)
More Steering

I might be repeating, age does that to you, but I want to talk about Full Hydraulic steering on a JK a bit. I know there are a lot of reputable steering outfits out there, but I guess that I have just always preferred to be bent over by PSC Motorsports.

I previously installed there Extreme Aftermarket Steering Assist on my JK. Less than 2000 miles since that install??? When I called them about my new project, they offered to take my $869.00 steering box in on full retail trade toward the full hydraulic parts that I needed. When the shipping box was full, we pretty much swapped keys.

PSC is up to speed on Full Hydraulic install components for JK's, which is nice, because if you can get a custom builder part it saves a lot of time. So JKers can now get a full custom pump with a #6 high pressure fitting ready to go, or as I did, take off the stock high pressure hose from your existing HP pump and install a crossover fitting to convert your JK pump to a #6 flare for full hydraulic plumbing. Another great custom part, the JK column adapter off the orbital that bolts right up to the stock steering shaft.

I ended up building a simple "T" mount and utilized the rear two stock steering box holes to mount the orbital valve, then with the custom column - bolted it right up. Make sure to put some blue lock tight on the box mount threads.

"T" mount parts:

Inside installed frame view:

Outside installed frame view:

#154 ·
Steering 4.0

Just when I think I am going to get away from the steering, I just go back for more pain.

Couple issues. Previously, I spoke about drilling out my knuckle steer arms to 7/8". I ditched the Currie tie rod end built tie rod and went with a new custom 1 1/2 .25 wall DOM rod. I out smarted myself a little going with the 7/8" rod ends. I had intended to mount the hydraulic steering arm directly to the tie rod.

What started the issue, I took a look at the knuckle mounting bosses and the largest part of the originally tapered hole was larger than 3/4". So, I set myself adrift by opening the hole to 7/8", which was the approximate size of the largest part of the taper. The problem came in with the larger 7/8 rod end. When I tighten them down and cycled the steering, they didn't like the deflection on the boss. I really hated to add misalignment spacers, because the longer bolt, I thought would put more leverage on the connection and likely fail.

I ordered, and Poly quickly delivered, four 7/8" misalignment spacers and I set to work reworking the passenger side double sheer because of the change in height when the joint is equipped with the spacers. It turned out right, I hope.

#155 ·
Steering 5.0

The passenger side double sheer done, I looked over and saw the new weak link, the driver side steering knuckle attachment - Single sheer, tall, just shouting out - "your f'd."

Remembering what JSS had said in the morning "anything is possible" I set my brain in motion creating a new double sheer mount for the drivers side of a Currie RJ60.

I polished up a flat spot on the front of the knuckle - careful to take just a small amount of material to create a flat surface. I cut out a small mounting plate from 1/4" steel and drilled a 1/2" mounting hole in it. I cut a small double sheer tab and drilled a 7/8" hole for the rod end connection. I tacked those parts up and templated a 1/4" bracket back to the brake caliper connection tab. I cut out that bracket, cut the caliper mounting spacer down a 1/4" and bolted it in, then welded the whole contraption up. The steering now appears to be able to take a beating, I hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.