JKOwners Forum banner

Throttle Body cleaning

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TBlagdon 
#1 ·
So, my Jeep is at the dealer getting that stupid plastic bushing replaced on the transfer case and the dealer calls me and says I need my diffs serviced and my throttle body cleaned. I refused the diff service because I will be getting new covers soon. What about the throttle body cleaning? I'm at 25K, do you think they're pulling my leg on this one? Engine compartment is a little dirty from wheeling so they may have seen that as an opportunity to beef up the bill a little.

Your thoughts?

#2 ·
You need to clean the throttle body, in my opinion. It's very easy to do it yourself however. Mine gets pretty oiled up behind it. But for $150 or whatever you can get a new Viper throttle body while you are at it, and get a little more umph! (apparently)

#9 ·
I second that! You could have them install it for the price of servicing yours!

I was a Service Advisor at Jeep, you can do it with a toothbrush and a flathead screwdriver. Same result ;)

#4 ·
Thanks guys, only problem is now it's winter in the northeast, was cold enough re-attaching that transfer case cable in the blizzard for me....:beer:

#5 ·
At 10,000

The stealership tried to sell me this service at 10,000 miles. I called another dealer and they said not to do it. They had never seen this service needed under 30,000 miles. The dealers love to sell this service as it is easy do do and NEVER covered under warranty. It's a service not a repair. Have you been in a lot of places that would get your air filter so dirty that it would pass that on the the throttle body?

#7 ·
The stealership tried to sell me this service at 10,000 miles. I called another dealer and they said not to do it. They had never seen this service needed under 30,000 miles. The dealers love to sell this service as it is easy do do and NEVER covered under warranty. It's a service not a repair. Have you been in a lot of places that would get your air filter so dirty that it would pass that on the the throttle body?
Off roading and the beach?

#8 ·
It's not the outside dirt/ sand particulates that dirty the throttle body and intake manifold. It's the post combustion "crud" that comes from the engine gas/ oil recirculation.

#6 ·
If it's too cold, you can almost surely wait a little while until it's warmer or you can find a garage. Yes...it prob needs to be cleaned at 25k. I just would not pay the inflated price to have the dealership do it. It's SO easy and takes maybe all of 15 minutes. Not sure exactly what they want to do yours, but I know that you will save a bunch of $$$ doing it yourself, because it costs nothing more than the expense of the throttle body cleaner- maybe $4-$5.
It will also give you a better feeling b/c you did it yourself. Oh......and there are just too many dealerships that don't do things right, or mess up other things while performing the simplest of routines. JMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.