JKOwners Forum banner

wiring diagram

17K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Uncle Sams Misguided Child 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I had a hard time trying to figure out which wire went to which part on the relay and where did it go from there. So I drew out this easy schematic for myself and figured if I could figure it out anyone could.

So Positive from battery to fuse block

From the fuse block off to the #30 on the relays. I just used a 30 amp relay available anywhere. Then from #87 on the relay it goes out to power your item (lights, compressor, whatever).

From the M9 fuse on the stock fuse box it goes to your switch. M9 fuse is switch on only. And spade #85 on your relay to your switch. This just powers the relay to let it close the circuit so that power can go from the battery to your item.

Spade #86 on the relay goes to a ground.

Pretty easy when you break it down barney style. I have the relays mounted to an aluminum panel on top of the stock fuse box and the bluesea fuse block mounted on the drivers side of the battery tray. It has been this way for 3 years and has never been a problem.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Few Questions

So, I just got this Jeep

and the last owner just ran wires wherever...

I have been thinking about doing the Power Distribution Block setup since I had an FJ Cruiser. I really need order in my life. I totally understand everything you have written up concerning this, but I have a few questions (because I need to know).

1. What Gauge wire do you use from the fuse tap and accessories to the fuse block/power distribution block?

2. How do I determine what size fuses to run at the fuse block?

3. Are the relays a standard relay, or is there a specific "size" that I need to order?

Thanks!
Billy

#7 · (Edited)
8 ga. would suffice for lighting and small electrical loads as a main to the Blue Sea block main lug, 14 Ga. for Halogen or HID lighting loads, and 18-16ga would be adequate for the M9 fuse to switches portion and beyond if you're staying near the dash and cowl with the relays. That wire size would also be okay for LED lighting.

Also, Gunny has the M9 going to a distribution block and then separate leads for each line side on the switches, that isn't necessary if you just daisy chain off a single lead from M9 right on the back of the switches. That would simplify wiring a little.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.