JKOwners Forum banner

Rear license plate option's, simple to complex

6K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  motors4fun 
#1 ·
I've got the plug for the hole thats left when removing the license plate bracket...I already painted it to match...

I'm looking to mount my license plate in the rear tire ...any idea's?

#2 ·
I called my chums at ORO and ordered up the Lite Plate thingy. It has wicked-bright white LED's that illuminate the plate, and red LED's for a 3'd brake light. It includes a generous length of sheathed cable. I wired the cable of the Lite Plate to a EFI connector so I can unplug it when I remove the spare.

I then went to Casa DePot and bought a piece of aluminum flat bar. Made a couple cuts and a couple bends and rivoted the Lite Plate to the new bracket. I then bolted it through the center cap. I used a fender washer on the inside of the center cap, so it's plenty sturdy.

If I ever have to remove the spare (haven't yet... knocking on wood), I can unplug the connector and drop the whole thing. Then I can remove the plate assembly from the center cap. Kind of a hassle, but how often do you use your spare?

;)

#17 ·
I just made one today from the hardware store to tide me over... till I can get my shop and build something truly custom... I've been having troubles posting pics But I'll see what I can do.

anybody know what this means:
DSCN1170.JPG:
Upload of file failed.

#18 ·
What are you guys doing to cover up the hole where the old tree-catcher was? I've seen a plug, but don't know who makes it.

#21 ·
U want the mopar part# 55397112AA. My girlfriend works at jeep and her part guy didn't even know what it was.. I laughed and it came in the next day.Its $8 cost, but i might be like $15 for everyone else. If you lived close by, I'd hook you up with an $8 one. Any of the guys living here locally I'll hook you up with employee cost on parts...just let me know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.