JKOwners Forum banner

Aeroforce Interceptor gauge Install

95K views 228 replies 82 participants last post by  wrangled 
#1 · (Edited)
Let me start of by saying this is a sweet setup. The install was very simple (So easy a caveman could do it.) The functions and features of the gauge are phenomenal.

I kind of cheated because i already have been running Autometer Transmission TEMP gauge fo a while. So the mounting spot was already choosen plus it was close to the OBD2 port.

In the box you will find the actual gauge and the OBD2 Data Cable.

I went ahead and printed a color copy of the instructions from Aeroforces web site.

I choose not to use a pod and use a preexisting mounting spot i drilled with a holesaw. (you can see the Auto meter gauge I will be replacing)

I chose the route my cable under the steering column so I did not have to remove my Rockhard Sport cage.

Actually wiring the gauge into the Jeep is as simple as plugging in the smaller end of the data cable to the plug.

The whole i drilled was a snug fit so I was able to just press the gauge in with little resistance.

See less See more
#2 ·

It comes with a 9' data cable so I decided to neetly wind the excess up and ziptie it out of the way

Make sure you leave your self enough slack if you need to unplug it from the OBD2 port

Then just reinstall you trim panels and plug it in to the port and it will fire up and now its ready for the user programming.

here is a quick video of the booting sequence .

YouTube - 101_0967.mov

#4 ·
I'm very happy with mine as well. Only problem i've had with mine is every once in awhile I get a single ding, kinda like the trans temp. alarm, but I can just make out a yellow light in my gauge cluster coming on for a split second when it does this and then going out right away. Judging by the location of it in my owners manual, its one of the locker lights. Funny thing is, I don't have lockers (X model). There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it either, it just randomly happens. I asked about this on their forum and they said to play around with the update rate. This seemed to make it occur less frequently, but it still happens every once in awhile. Nothing bad about it, it just seemed weird. I wondered if you ever experience the same thing, but I don't know if you would since yours is a Rubicon with the factory lockers.

#6 ·
This gauge is capable of doing damn near everything the AEV procal does so for 150$ more you get complete engine readouts and a gauge you can monitor

The gauge displays trans temp, and can completely disable the ESP system, program new tire size into the PCM, same for axle ratio, set a new pressure for the TPMS (allowing you to lower the tire pressure without setting off the alarm, and changing the idle speed )good for when using a winch or other device that results in a large engine load at idle.

#7 ·
like everything excpet the mounting location? I guess if you were standing outside the jeep looking at the gauge it might be in a good spot? But when driving and trying to look down that low....no likey.

I saw another guy hear local that has the same gauge, but mounted up on the pillar where it would be easier to access or view. I remember when he was showing me all it could do it took a while to cycle through all the read outs....lots of items.

Great write up, just don't like the mounting location.....

no offense.

#154 ·
Someone may have already said this,but there are angled spacers you can put behind gauges to face them specific directions. To some extent.

#9 ·
they make one for 3 guages, but this is just one simple do it all guage, which might look kind of lonely in the center over the stereo? Could mount anywere on the top edge along trim or side pillar?

I am sure dr dirty has a good reason for putting it where he did, just not first choice for location IMHO.

#10 ·
The monting locatin was used for the tranny gauge i have been running and it was more of a quick glace to monitor than to stare at the gauge.

The location actually works great and its very visible i dont stare at the gauge the whole time im driving and the Aeroforce has alarms to make you aware of problems so im cool with that

#11 ·
These things are phenomenal tools. I've been eye-balling one for months, but havent been able to justify pulling the trigger. Had I known about the gears and tire size reconfiguration, I would have bought one of these a while back when I got my Procal! Doh. Thanks for posting it up Doc. I look forward to your updates on what of the MANY features you use, and how...

#12 ·
Todd from Aeroforce is working ahrd at getting the Jeep guage to do what we want so any features youd like to see let me know and i can forward them to him. He is willing to incorporate the feature to turn of the sway bar light for those of us that have removed the rubicon sway bar.

The Jeep specific functions he has added are :

axle ratio
tire size
esp disable
tire presure monitoring threshold
increased idle to be used while winching or using a onboard welder

#19 ·
Thank you for the write-up Dirty. I have also been eyeing this for some time and as soon as I get my cage install nailed down and complete I will get this. Will probably have to mount mine on the down tube of the cage or around the tweeter location of the dash.

Can you see yours when driving? I have my dual battery controls where you mounted it and can't see the LED unless I lean left.

#31 ·
I didn't realize they had updated them. I'll have to send mine in. This is exciting, I thought I was gonna have to shell out atleast another $100 for an AEV procal when I stepped up to bigger tires. Can you turn the tire pressure monitoring completely off?

#33 ·
Also, can you turn the radiator fan on manually with it while the engine is runnign? The only way I can turn the fan on manually with mine is with the engine off, key on. I'd like to be able to turn it on while running incase my tranny temp starts climbing to high.

#36 ·
The Jeep specific functions he has added are :

axle ratio
tire size
esp disable
tire presure monitoring threshold
increased idle to be used while winching or using a onboard welder

if you unplug it it is as simple as plugging it back in it stores all your settings in it :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.