JKOwners Forum banner

WonTon

132K views 382 replies 89 participants last post by  johnnyboy110 
#1 ·
#10 ·
I was actually going to use a 99+ E350 Van HD60 rear. They are a gem.
They come with 35-spline axles, big bore spindles, 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern (not like the SuperDuty) big disc brakes, and have an ABS tone ring!! You can get them complete for around $500, so all you would need is gears, locker, and some brackets. This would be the most excellent choice for a JK 8-lug swap.

BUT......
I ended up with this, because I was lonely and needed a new BFF!

#20 ·
No.
But I'm plotting a tone ring on the rear T-Case output with an adjustable sensor plate so that I can keep my speedo/odo functional. Not sure if/how it will work yet, but I'll figure something out.:eyemouth:
I'm more concerned about the Odometer, since I can use GPS for speed.

#23 ·
Got the truss completely burned on last night. It's 3/16 DOM with brake-formed 1/4" plate gussets.
Since the casting on the 14B is offset, the truss is made to be symmetrical with the casting, but the center of the axle is still on the center of the truss.
The truss it rotated forward to accommodate the proper pinion angle for my application.

The D60 knuckles sandblasted...Good as new!

D60 ready for stripping...

#26 ·
One of the nicest rigs on this forum and now this. You could argue the 60s cause a loss of clearance but not when they are shod with 40+ inch tires. I really love that much is used stuff. Begin with a used Farabee rental and you have more left in the add on fund.

As I have said before, the man has skills.

Nice!

#32 ·
The Superduty ones work, so I'm guessing that the Ford E350 HD60's tone rings would probably work.

The idea of the t-case tone ring is just to run the speedo/odo, since only one is required for that.
Also, if you splice one of the rear sensor wires into whatever tone ring is used, the "brake" light on the dash should also turn off. (it turns on if rear ABS sensors are unplugged).

#35 · (Edited)
No, you wouldn't need the t-case (or any other) tone ring...
Yes, the Ford D60 would probably work.
But don't waste your time on a rear 60. The only one I know of that has disc brakes and 35-spline shafts with big bore spindles is the '99+ E350. Which would be pretty sweet IF the diff wasn't offset almost 4" to the passenger side, which won't work because your fuel tank is in the way.

So it would make more sense to find a nice D70.

#41 ·
My dad's 2003 3500 van has a D70 in the rear...hrmmm...I wonder if the newer Dana axles that were placed in Chevys have tone rings in them.
Probably. I spent a couple hours at Harris Truck Parts last week and I was amazed at how many axles came with tone rings. I found a really nice Dodge D70 with disc brakes and a center tone ring, but it was around 75" wide!
If you plan to keep it full-float 8-lug, you gotta find something that is the correct width. If you plan to cut it and convert it to semi-float, then just shop for a drum brake one since they are much easier to find and a lot cheaper.

The nice thing about the 70 (as opposed to the 60) is that it may come with 35-spline shafts already in it. But even if it has 30 or 32-spline, it will still have the big bore spindles, so for a couple hundo you can simply slide the bigger 35-spline shafts into a 35-spline carrier of your choice. No need to have the spindles bored or cut and paste.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.