JKOwners Forum banner

Fuel injector problem?

20K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Goodysgotacuda 
#1 · (Edited)
For some time now my engine has had a slight hesitation to it or shudder from time to time but not all the time. It does have new plugs and wires. Today it backfired. Was just wondering if maybe the fuel injectors were getting clogged. If thats the case what is the best fuel injector cleaner out there.

#2 · (Edited)
I use seafoam. once a month, and I also use lucas gas treatment almost every tank. I'm just anal like that. some times my 2010, will sputter and almost die if I go a long time with out running a fuel additive, kinda odd but it works. The lucas gas treatment goes in every tank, and you can get it at walmart. I would run some seafoam through your break line booster as well, if you look on here there are threads on the break line booster procedure.

#9 ·
Well I did the seafoam thing as suggested and no big plume of black smoke. Is there an actual fuel injector cleaner I can get that you run thru the injectors like jiffy lube does? Or because I did the steps above thru the vacuum line for the brake booster I don't need to do that. What I had left over I put into the gas tank. Suggestions or comments please.

#10 ·
If you didn't get any smoke with the sea foam, id say your engine is pretty clean then. Maybe check that your throttle valve isn't sticking? I've seen them get gummed up on the backside of them on other cars and stick every once in awhile. However, if you've gotten to the point that it backfires, that almost sounds like a timing issue. Cam position sensor maybe? I've also heard of some guys having problems with the timing chains stretching prematurely on these engines.

#11 ·
Have you replaced the PCV valve? Mine is doing the same thing as yours again, 53k miles on it. About every 3 months I'll run about 2 tanks full of super unleaded, but I do need to get better about running injector cleaner through it. It also made a signifigant differrence when i changed the PCV valve though so I guess i'll pick another one up, it also seems to make a bit of difference when I take the air cleaner out and knock some of the stuff out of it but I need to replace it as well, it's been about 25k since I've replaced it. I'll probably read more about the Sea Foam stuff as well, that will get some "hen pecking" from the wife.... what the heck is wrong with it now??? Dunno, maybe it wanted 37"s instead of 315's, and is protesting... Or maybe it is wishing for a hemi...

#13 ·
If you used the seafoam only through the vacuum source it really wouldn't do anything but rush by the injectors. You'd want it in the tank to go through it.

I'd look more into a crankshaft sensor or maybe camshaft sensor...backfiring, I'd start with ignition timing. Which is read by probably the camshaft sensor.

There is always the basic fuel filter change too if you are leaning towards fuel, I don't think I've EVER seen a fuel filter thread on this forum lol

#17 ·
does it seem to only happen when you first really hit the gas after starting it up? mine does it too. I had a '96 grand cherokee that did the same thing. after much data logging, i found that one of the oxygen sensors was taking to long to warm up (it was showing an extremely rich or lean condition). if the sensor wasn't warmed up before the computer transitioned from open to closed loop, it would hesitate and stumble real bad since the computer was trying to compensate for and extreme a/f ratio that didn't exist. the wrangler isn't that bad....yet, but i'm not yet sure if that is what's going on with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.