JKOwners Forum banner

Bilstein Steering Stabilizer good/bad?

42K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  HAFICON 
#1 ·
Looking for input on this stabilizer. It's the monotube HD gas one found on quadratec, northridge, ect... Have those who have installed this notice any pulling to the left afterwards while driving? If so is there a way to adjust the shock to compensate for this? I have 33x12.5R15 currently and no problems with the stock SS was just thinking of trying this but a few have pointed out the gas charge in them pushes the JK to the left.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

#10 ·
I have the Billy ss combined with Poly's relocator and tie rod bracket. Works like a charm. It does push the steering to the left a bit due to being pressurised. However, you'll only noticie this if you take your hands off the wheel. As a damper it's fine and very durable.

#37 ·
Adding an update to this, I still have the Billy steering damper installed but now have Reids and Synery's drag link & tie rod. The "push" to the left diminished over time and is completely gone now. This is a really good damper.

#22 ·
i've got the first gen fox stabilizer. it also pushed my steering to the left. since my oem stab was blowing oil out.... i just let most of the air out of mine. no more push. probably shouldnt have done it, but i spent all my money buying that one and had nothing left.

#24 ·
Barely necessary is pretty subjective considering the main purpose of it is to lessen or soften the impact of your steering wheel when it is jarred or moved by rocks, terrain, or the like wheeling. This is a safety issue and a control issue for jeepers when off roading. It's better to maintain control of your line and have any help you can when doing this.

#29 ·
The bilstein does pull to the left but tightens up the steering pretty well

#31 ·
I just installed my rock krawler 2.5 max travel lift im running 35 inch, bilstein 5100s, and duratracks at 30 psi with stock bumpers and no spare tire, i ordered this lift because of its obvious offroad capability but what really sold me was that every one said it rides better than stock suspension on the road. well... it rides a bit stiiffer witch i like... it tracks very strait witch i like more...but my commute is in the canyon and man my steering is stifffff in the turns at speeds over 25 or 30 mph and when hitting small bumps in those turns i get a little loose, and get play in my steering wheel. Its like the dam thing just wants to track strait and im forcing the wheels to turn. I am a really easy driver in the turns not very agressive i pull over multiple times in the canyon on the way to work to let others by so im not exceeding any limits in the turns... im wandering if the bilstein stabilizer will solve this problem???? any suggestions?

#33 ·
Yes I did! every thing is very new and tight... I installed a new rock krawler adjustable track bar with my lift and my freind did the bushing to frame side while I did the other he said it was a very tight fit and some hammering definetly tool place. We did some prying to get the upgraded 9/16 bolt in as well. The other day I was looking at that bushing and it didn't seem right it. One side is flush against the mount the other side has an 1/8 inch of rubber between the mount and the metal part of the bushing at a glance it looked like the rubber component of the bushing was pushed to one side I tried to take it off to inspect it but could not for the life of me get the bolt out on my own and I didn't wanto damage the threads attempting to. I figured tights better than loose sprayed some 336 and called it good... There is absolutely no play in it and my suspension seems to cycle just fine... Thaughts?

I also do not have death wobble symptoms it rides just fine strait and on most turns every now and then it just seems to wanto track too strait in the turns and gets a little washy with the small bumps I would expect my progressive rate sprigs and after market shocks to absorb. Could just be my tires an the fact their huge and sticky. But I was just wandering if this is normal? This lift is made for after market bumper weights and Im running stock bumpers is this just and in loaded spring issue? Am I just over thinking this whole thing?

#41 ·
Wanted to add that over time the Bilstein steering stabilizer stops pushing to the left as the gas charge diminishes. I've had mine on there about three years now and it's working great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#42 ·
I've had mine on for almost two years now and it still pushed the jeep to the left. I get lucky some days and it doesn't push left, hopefully it stops all together soon!

It is very annoying but I am use to it so it will stay on the jeep until I go hydro assist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.