JKOwners Forum banner

rear seat removal

20K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Crusher07 
#1 ·
Can anyone advise on how to remove the rear seat on my 2009????

#3 ·
Big hammer....

On the back of the seat between the headrests is a plastic lever. Lift it up and the back will fold down. Once it folds down, you will be able to tilt the whole seat up. Once it's folded up, you can lift it off the two pegs at the front.

#4 ·
Big hammer....

On the back of the seat between the headrests is a plastic lever. Lift it up and the back will fold down. Once it folds down, you will be able to tilt the whole seat up. Once it's folded up, you can lift it off the two pegs at the front.

Kind of obvious, but you should be standing outside at the back of the vehicle to do this.

#5 ·
not my instructions, but should help.

I have the subwoofer, which the Jeep manual says to remove and disconnect prior to removing the backseat... don't bother (if you're strong enough to handle the seat by yourself, this is a total waste of time).

OK - in step-by-step form:

1) Open the tailgate and rear hatch (if you have the soft top on, tie the rear windshield panel out of your way). Climb into the "cargo" area.

2) Use the "fold-and-tumble" feature (you may need to adjust your front seats to provide enough clearance for the backseat to pivot forward properly - this is important).

3) Squeeze the pressure bar at each side, where the folded seat attaches to the cargo floor - you don't have to squeeze particularly hard, but you WILL need to squeeze to disengage the floor clasps from their mounts.

4) Lift FIRMLY upwards and backwards while squeezing the pressure bar - the goal here is to disengage the clasps from the floor mounts. Not very heavy, just awkward to do (go ahead and get mad at it, then give it a good tug - worked for me).

5) CAREFULLY pull the folded, disconnected backseat backwards toward the rear opening - if you have the subwoofer and left it installed, exercise care not to smash it, etc.

6) Gently stand the backseat on its end behind your Jeep - climb out.

7) Store the rear seat wherever, and enjoy the newfound rear visibility, cargo space, and extra 1/3 mpg!

G
#9 ·
Crusher07

I have somewhat of a different problem removing the back seat. Once I lift the lever on the back of the seat and fold it forward, it will not unlock the base of the seat to tilt it forward. Any sugestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.