JKOwners Forum banner

Finaly got my Mattracks installed on the Rub

29K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  James S 
#1 ·
Took her out in the snow for the first time today since swapping the tracks off my old CJ.
The Rub is way under powered for any kind of fast hill climbing.
Also still have some work to do on the steering...I think the reservoir may be to small (like the last time)
Anyway its usable...now I just need some more snow!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I've had them for a few years now so the cost has long been washed out (swallowing hard)
We get 6 and 7 ft of snow around here and I just love getting out and exploring, I don't know much about really big tires but I know I'm constantly pulling folks out....10 ft from the asphalt.
I definitely need more power though!!!
Not sure how big a deal a hemi swap i$...? how about one of those super chargers...I need the ass down low.
Thoughts?

#8 ·
well they look awesome.. from what ive seen looks kinda hard to steer.. yeah i bet you do need more power.. a super charger would help.. but im guessing you might need a hemi or Ls engine to move those things... would be fun to try those things ..looks like great fun ! thanks for the pic .. post up some more action ones :beer:

#9 ·
So I'm wondering just how much help I can get from Supper Charger, been looking at some of what Ripp have to say and its hard to separate the reality from the BS...also been trying to search this forum for some real life experience, but have yet to find anything real current.

Hemi may add a lot of additional weight.

Not hard to steer...mine have what they call steering assist...basically its a hydraulic cylinder built into the track that applies down pressure to one set of the bogies....raising the front and back of the track...this greatly reduces the surface area in contact.
The problem is the extra hydraulic fluid required and the limited size of the reservoir...I had to modify it on the CJ and will probably have to do the same here....but lots less space to do it in.

I could sure use some good advice on the super chargers.....:beer::beer:

#14 ·
I don't think gearing will help...the way the tracks are configured they already drop down about a 3rd of the already low rub ratios.
I'll do a search on the avenger kit...low end is where I want the juice.
Who's Jack and how can I contact him...I'm a nubi.

#13 ·
i had a RIPP supercharger on my last JK.. i loved it.. gave me the extra power i was looking for... and your right..about the extra hemi weight so the RIPP sounds like it might be the way to go for you... their new gen 2 kit is really nice.. comes with everything you need.. and the inner cooler is really nice addition. i had no issues at all with RIPP supercharger..check them out

#23 ·
I dont really think that a super charger is going to give you all of the low end power you are looking for. Itll give you more but since the supercharger makes more power in the higher RPM range there goes the low end. A hemi swap is more money and a little more weight compared to the 3.8 but then you have the low end torque that you might be after.

#26 ·
You need an LS3 in that thing. I think they are only 80-90lbs heavier than the factory 3.8 engine. Gearing + Heads + Cam = All the low end torque you need. I mean you can only do so much to the 3.8l... Plus you already have 30K invested in your setup if not more. You would have so many options with an LS setup.

#29 ·
I've run track kits on atv's and the first thing you notice is how much power they pull. The second thing is how they are almost unstoppable!

I had a set on a Yamaha 660 Griz and got a call from a customer who had been out playing in the snow with some buddies and was stuck in a ravine. They had a Yamaha Rhino, 2 Yamaha 660s and a Polaris 800. They had already burned up 2500lb and a 3000lb warn winches trying to get out. It looked like a tornado had gone through the area where they had taken tree branches and anything else they could put down to try to stay on top the snow and make it out but had only managed a few feet in 3 hours of trying.

I drove down, hooked up a strap and pulled each one up the hill without spinning a track.

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the great comments.
I'll be looking at the local market to see whats available engine wise and will try and get a better idea about just how much more power I need.
All options are on the table but I must admit to "crawling" a little towards the Avenger....down size is they don't ship overseas?
If I find the right engine locally and the right guy to do the swap...I could be tempted.

The snorkel was on when I bought it.

#34 ·
I too am from Alaska.. Had a few friends with these Mattracks on their trucks...They pretty much go ANYWHERE.

As for steering, possibly look into West Texas Offroad combined with a filtered/billet reservoir from PSC to clean up your steering issues.

I'd also check for clearance when stuffing those pigs into the fenders. An occasional hard bump in the snow will cause those to remove a fender ...completely!..lol

Looks killer. Have someone in the parking lot take your picture when your having fun.

Love it!:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.