JKOwners Forum banner

Rattling noise when i start my jeep

42K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Taco08jk 
#1 ·
Hey guys so every time I start my jeep i hear this rattling noise. It only does it for a few seconds and then it goes away but I was wondering if this is normal or not? If not what could it be?

#15 ·
I have a work vehicle, so sometimes the jeep goes 3-4 days without being driven. It does the same thing. Ive always wondered what it was, but since it went away after a second or two i never really worried much about it.
Is it something that could potentially damage the vehicle in the long run?

#20 ·
I have something very simular on my 2011 with the 3.8L and it is the lifters starving for oil. The 2nd post hit it on the head. There is no fix for this and mopar dose not claim it to be a problem and says it will never hurt the engine. Me being a tech I argued this point for a customer but was at the loosing end of the battle.

Any time there is something that is starved for oil there is excesive clearance that is normally not there when the oil is present. The click you hear is metal on metal. I argued that anything metal on metal rubbing together will cause excessive wear. it may be minimal but it can possibly grow into a larger problem. But as I said I have tryed to argue the point befor and it got nowhere. There are a lot of 3.8L with a lot of miles on them that this has not caused a problem yet but there are a lot of guys that get paid a lot more then I do to figure those things out.

#25 · (Edited)
I am experiencing a similar situation. Only when engine is cold/has been sitting for a while.
My problem is not exhaust,(already replaced drivers side manifold due to extreme crack) and not lifters in my opinion. (37+ years hot rodder,Jeeper,mechanic/ase cerified engine perf./engine elect.&electronics/CARB clean air car course/SMOG certified tech)
My problem appears to be ring gear/starter drive and/or gear related.
It seems like they aren't meshing,weak bendix spring maybe?
It sounds similar to when the ring gear teeth are damaged and starter gear is slipping etc.
Sounds perfect on other occasions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_drive

#26 ·
I have the same issue

The passed few days we have been having an issue with our 93 grand cherokee. At first we were having a hard time starting her, everything i s told about it i figured it was the battery so my father in law had one installed (i wouldve done it but was at work) this morning it wouldnt start at all at first then a few hours later she started but now theres a rattling noise that almost sounds like a piece of plastic hitting the fan (which is not the case just what it sounds like) we were thinking at first the no start couldve been the distributor cap since th wires and plugs were done last year. any ideas guys?

#27 ·
What part of Georgia are you from? There are a few of us from Georgia and would be more than willing to help. From your discription it sounds like the valve train tick to me. If it's a manual transmission it could be your throw out bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.