ReconJeep's 2016 JKUR build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ReconJeep's 2016 JKUR build

I just got this 2016 JKU Rubicon in the Mojave Tan. Not my first JK. I had an 09 JKUR when I was overseas. Now I'm back in NC. I got it on a great deal because I wasn't in a hurry to get one. Ran into a couple of other ones but there always something not right. This had only shy of 2000 miles and the price was a steal. It has the two tone leather interior. Guess previous owner had financial or psychological issues and had to give it up. My gain! This is not going to be an extreme build. I already have a Hummer H3 on Dana 60s and 40" tires I use for wheeling. This is going to be my daily driver with off-road capabilities. More like an overland build with top notch protection. I'm aiming at a 2"-3" lift with 35" tires on bead locks. I already set my credit card on fire! Stay tuned as parts come in and I start to build it up.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Last edited by ReconJeep; 05-19-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

This is a pic of my 08 JKUR I had overseas. It had many of the same parts I'm planning on adding to the new rig but with no lift. It had to fit in a very low garage so I just limited the up travel to stop rubbing. I won't be doing the slantback hardtop on this new rig.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Last edited by ReconJeep; 05-19-2016 at 09:13 AM.
post #3 of 139 Old 05-20-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Installed the JWS led headlights as well as some led markers. I also have the JWS led fog lights but ran out of time to install them.

These came in the mail from Molle Platform Solutions and can't wait to get them on during the weekend.

post #4 of 139 Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Started installing the Molle panels. These things are so well thought out and built. These rear panels are awesome because they serve multiple purposes. The obvious ones are the Molle on the outside for pouches and the ability to use it as a container for loose objects. The not so obvious is that the forward brace also has Molle which allows you to add anything you wish that's accessible for the rear seat passengers.

The folding Molle shelf is by far the best thing this guy has designed. I have the same one on my Hummer and it rocks! I plan to add a removable trauma kit and other smaller amenities. I'll be installing the roof panels later today or tomorrow. Family duties are calling.
post #5 of 139 Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Installed the front molle panel. It's Spod compatible and also great for stuff like a CB or OBD Scanner/Gauges.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
post #6 of 139 Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Swapped out the dome light bulbs to red led ones. No more getting blinded at night.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
post #7 of 139 Old 05-25-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Installed a Power Tank base in the rear. Already had the tank from my Hummer. Don't leave home without it!

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
post #8 of 139 Old 05-26-2016, 05:39 AM
Wheeler

Your ride's looking great!
ReconJeep likes this.
post #9 of 139 Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks so much. Lots planned.
post #10 of 139 Old 05-30-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got some more goodies from Molle Platform Solutions. This is something I came up with and have been brainstorming with Alan of MPS. They're small Molle panels that bolt up to the door retention strap loop. The main reason for designing these was to have a place to keep spare mags, but you can pretty much use them for whatever your needs may be.

There's three different designs we are testing. The first option is whether you want to have three rows wide or four rows wide. The second option if the top row is standard sized or 1.5" wide. The reason for the 1.5" width is to simulate the size of most belts. I wanted this because I can clip onto it my EDC mag pouch which is also designed for a 1.5" belt. This way it's not loose and rattling. You can mount the mag pouch either inside the panel, so it more snug, or outside if the pouches is larger or a piggyback style. If you get the three row style you can run three pistol mags or a combo of one pistol mag and a rifle mag. If you get the 4 row you can run two rifle mags or two piggy back mags. With the three row you can still use the factory net pocket, which I find pretty much useless. I'll decide after some extensive testing.

This is the three row version with the standard size Molle.

This is the four row with the 1.5" width top row to match my belt.

This is the three row 1.5" width mounted on the drivers door.

Here you can see my EDC pistol pouch clipped to the inside of the panel and a piggyback rifle/pistol Taco mounted on the outside. The Tacos are awesome because they expand to just about any rifle or pistol mag. You can also put your phone in the rifle mag and a light or multi tool in the pistol pouch.

Last edited by ReconJeep; 05-30-2016 at 04:07 PM.
post #11 of 139 Old 06-01-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Added Warn diff protectors, both front and rear.
post #12 of 139 Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Installed the Off Road Evolution oil pan and transmission skid plates. These things are very well designed and strong as hell. Now to figure out what I'll do to protect the exhaust. It makes sense to get the ORE one too but they say it doesn't work with long arm kits, which I plan to get. Anyone know if it's compatible with the Teraflex LCG long arm kit?

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
post #13 of 139 Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally installed the JWS LED taillights. Had them sitting around for some time but never got to them till now.
post #14 of 139 Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Was feeling patriotic so I had these subdued Flags made. Came out better than I had envisioned.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
post #15 of 139 Old 06-03-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Added some tourniquets in the overhead molle panels as well as a belt cutter/window breaker.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
post #16 of 139 Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally installed the rear molle panel from Molle Platform Solutions. Plan on putting some Santa Cruz gunlocks and hang my rifle from it.
Rocki likes this.
post #17 of 139 Old 06-05-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally assembled a decent trauma kit. I spend a lot of time at the range and it's only a matter of time before a negligent discharge occurs. Also in the wilderness, anything can happen and usually Murphy is nearby to throw a monkey wrench to make things worse. After several training classes, I've built up a list of gear I know how to use and not some generic bought first aid kit. First pouch on the left is for splints and bandages for sprains and broken bones. Second from the left is for extra dressings and other duplicates in case a multiple casualty situation pops up. Far right is the main kit that is removable from the panel so you can take it with you. It contains all the more serious gear like tourniquets, NPAs, chest seals, coagulant dressings, sterile dressing, shears, gloves, finger light, etc. Second from the right is a folding litter that can be used by one or more people to carry the patient. On top of that is a strobe for signaling location if needed. There's some work gloves in case some work needs to be performed to access or retrieve the patient, that sterile rubber gloves can't handle. I think that's everything.
post #18 of 139 Old 06-10-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally found a moment to install the EVO evap skid plate. This thing is solid as hell!

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
post #19 of 139 Old 06-16-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got a ton done today. Installed a Lange hard top hoist. Got the hand crank version. Couldn't justify the extra cost of the electric hoist version for twice a year that I would use it. I also prefer the hand crank version because you can feel tension on the cable if something is hung up. Works very well but is one pulley short. Added the extra pulley because the angle of the cable was getting in the way. Took advantage that the roof was off to do some mods to the rear molle panel.
post #20 of 139 Old 06-16-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Since I had my hardtop off with the hoist, I took advantage to do some mods to the rear Molle roof panel. I drilled and secured a fire extinguisher so that it could be accessed by all the occupants. I have a few more in the rear but I wanted one located so that everyone could access it, in case of an accident where the occupants may be pinned down.

I also added some Camelbaks and headlamps that double up as map reading lights for the rear occupants. The new Camlebaks have d-rings that coincide with the headrest posts. It's so easy to pop on and off for either wearing or refilling. The Petzl headlamps can cycle through many intensities and colors depending on need.

Last edited by ReconJeep; 06-16-2016 at 02:39 PM.
post #21 of 139 Old 06-17-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dropped off a ton of parts to get color matched to the truck's paint.
post #22 of 139 Old 06-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Wheeler

Garage

AWESOME build! Really digging the direction you're headed. Sub'd to see where you take this next and for future copying of some of your mods.(:
ReconJeep likes this.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded ~ Mark Twain

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 139 Old 06-17-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
AWESOME build! Really digging the direction you're headed. Sub'd to see where you take this next and for future copying of some of your mods.(:

Thanks! I get ideas from other people's builds, but some I have come up on my own depending on my needs.
post #24 of 139 Old 06-22-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Installed the MORE dead pedal for the copilot. Nothing worse than having to white knuckle the Jesus handle on rough terrain.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
post #25 of 139 Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got some Raingler safety nets and grab handles. The roof ones are great for stuffing clothes maps and hanging things like winch gloves. I also got a cargo safety net so nothing comes flying into the passenger area in case of a roll or accident. Haven't installed it since it can go behind the front seats or the rear seats. I'll install it depending on my needs at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode